The desi "Bhoon-na" of the food !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The desi "Bhoon-na" of the food !

Some say , bhoon-na kills the nutritional value of food .

Others say , food doesnt taste brilliant if its not bhoon'ed properly .

My question is, how long of the Bhoon-na process is considered healthy . 5 minutes ? or just light Saute'ing ?

Thoughts please
    The Prophet Muhammad SAW reported that the Satan said to Allah: "I shall continue to lead Thy servants astray as long as their spirits are in their bodies." And Allah replied: "(Then) I shall continue to pardon them as long as they ask for My forgiveness." [Al-Tirmidhi, Hadith 742]

Re: The desi "Bhoon-na" of the food !

Originally posted by Chicken Biryani View Post

My question is, how long of the Bhoon-na process is considered healthy . 5 minutes ? or just light Saute'ing ?

Thoughts please
    Oil gets toxic after smoke point, I see many desis taking it beyond smoke point. Vegetables should not be overcooked and are best in sort of steaming environment. Meat needs to be only browned and if you do it in single layers then it shouldn't take too long. We need over 5 servings of fruits and veggies so make sure you are eating raw fruits and veggies every meal. I don't see too many of our people with glowing skins and it is a sign of lack of nutrients. At parties I don't see our people go for the salads.

Comment

Bhoon it till the oil separates.

Ive never heard of oil getting poisonous if heated beyond its smoke point. Yes, it loses its nutritional value, and smells bad, but doesnt get poisonous. This is the same old wives story that I have heard about tea. According to some people, if you reheat tea, it gets poisonous.

The oils we normally use for cooking (sunflower, corn, canola) all have a high boiling points which are around 100 degrees F below the smoke point. So no reason to worry.
      The Thread Killer!

Comment

Originally posted by Silaaj View Post
        Bhoon it till the oil separates.

Ive never heard of oil getting poisonous if heated beyond its smoke point. Yes, it loses its nutritional value, and smells bad, but doesnt get poisonous. This is the same old wives story that I have heard about tea. According to some people, if you reheat tea, it gets poisonous.

The oils we normally use for cooking (sunflower, corn, canola) all have a high boiling points which are around 100 degrees F below the smoke point. So no reason to worry.
        Science is not old wives tales and yes tea should not be overcooked and should be steeped below boiling point. Here is an old wives tale for your consumption.

The concern with cooking with olive oil or any oil is when it nears its smoke point the oil breaks down.ADVERTISEMENT

The oil develops into toxic aldehyde compounds like acrolein, and then begins to smoke. This results in the consumption and the inhalation of these toxic compounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Chicken Biryani View Post

Thoughts please
          simply use Induction type cooking with precise Temperature control that keeps Oil temp below 300 deg F
          We don't see things as they are; we see things as we are!

Comment

Bhoon fry is usually for meat so as to kill any bacteria residue if any

It depends on the meat

Red meat longer then poultry

Fresh meat longer then frozen

Comment

Originally posted by batameez View Post
              Bhoon fry is usually for meat so as to kill any bacteria residue if any

It depends on the meat

Red meat longer then poultry

Fresh meat longer then frozen
              I respectfully disagree, bhoon fry is only for taste and even at bhoon fry at intense heat the meat can be raw inside and have bacteria. Many here eat blood dripping steaks. Meat needs to be cooked to internal temperature of 160F and can be achieved without bhoona. Desis bhoona to mask the meatiness taste, many converted from Hinduism and were uncomfortable with meat tasting like meat so lets drown it in ginger garlic, onion and tomatoes until we cant taste what we actually cooked.

In western recipes you just brown the meat to retain moisture in meat.

Comment

.... bhoon fry is only for taste ...
                Wah

.... Many here eat blood dripping steaks
                This brings in the halal part , the slaughtering process , the difference

Comment

I eat very little meat, but thank God for bhoon'na...cuz I do not care for that meat smell...much less the bloody, "rare" look and taste. And with some veggies...karelay, etc...you gotta cook em a bit more otherwise they're not that enjoyably edible. Moreover...too much meat consumption...will produce stinkier stools. The poor soul who needs to desperately use the bathroom right after you came out from taking a dump....will take one whiff of those fumes and hate your guts. Watch out for that oh habitual meat-lovers. :/

Comment

Originally posted by batameez View Post
                    Wah

This brings in the halal part , the slaughtering process , the difference

Most parts of the world are requiring stunning the animal prior to slaughter. I grew up in Africa and the Massai tribe boys there drink blood of live cattle. Most halal meat is not aged but western consumption meat is aged 2 to 3 weeks. Halal steaks are tougher than shoe leather.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about the toilet smells here, most bathrooms are super clean and smell great. However I have seen some people who haven't warmed up to the idea of oral hygiene, or daily showers or grooming products and have garlic and fry onion smells mixed with the bughli stuff inundating the unsuspecting victims.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby1 View Post
                        I wouldn't worry about the toilet smells here, most bathrooms are super clean and smell great. However I have seen some people who haven't warmed up to the idea of oral hygiene, or daily showers or grooming products and have garlic and fry onion smells mixed with the bughli stuff inundating the unsuspecting victims.
                        Oh dear...that sounds just ghastly, Bob. You're not referring to the Indians again are you? Cut them some slack dude...I mean they're only like ...50%...of your khoon.

Comment

Science is not old wives tales and yes tea should not be overcooked and should be steeped below boiling point. Here is an old wives tale for your consumption.

The concern with cooking with olive oil or any oil is when it nears its smoke point the oil breaks down.ADVERTISEMENT

The oil develops into toxic aldehyde compounds like acrolein, and then begins to smoke. This results in the consumption and the inhalation of these toxic compounds.
                          Canola, sunflower and corn oil are the most commonly used oils in Pakistani cuisine. When you deep fry anything in them (which is usually the hottest setting you would use for any food), the temperature hovers around 350F. The smoking point of these oils is around 450F. So safe to say, our cooking doesnt touch that level.

The issue with olive oil is only regarding extra virgin olive oil, which has a lower smoking point...and noone recommends cooking anything in extra virgin olive oil. For regular cooking, regular olive oil is used, which again, has a high boiling point, and a higher smoke point.
                          The Thread Killer!

Comment

Desis bhoona to mask the meatiness taste, many converted from Hinduism and were uncomfortable with meat tasting like meat so lets drown it in ginger garlic, onion and tomatoes until we cant taste what we actually cooked.
                            for this very reason meat cooked by Muslims from other parts of the world still smells meatiness?

Comment

Originally posted by redvelvet View Post
                              I eat very little meat, but thank God for bhoon'na...cuz I do not care for that meat smell...much less the bloody, "rare" look and taste. And with some veggies...karelay, etc...you gotta cook em a bit more otherwise they're not that enjoyably edible. Moreover...too much meat consumption...will produce stinkier stools. The poor soul who needs to desperately use the bathroom right after you came out from taking a dump....will take one whiff of those fumes and hate your guts. Watch out for that oh habitual meat-lovers. :/
                              Is this called IBS?

Comment

Working...
                              X