amateur cooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: amateur cooks

I think for any new cooks, the top tip should be to use recipes that ask for lesser ingredients and look for recipes that have similar ingredients
    The Prophet Muhammad SAW reported that the Satan said to Allah: "I shall continue to lead Thy servants astray as long as their spirits are in their bodies." And Allah replied: "(Then) I shall continue to pardon them as long as they ask for My forgiveness." [Al-Tirmidhi, Hadith 742]

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight express 91 View Post
      LOL sara hahahahaha. Im never gonna live that one down. CB and KC cheers a bunch! Im gonna give both of these a bash. KC how did you figure out the white sauce recipe?

4 oz of Greek yogurt (imagine those single serve sizes that younger for brekkie etc)
      1/4 c mayonnaise
      pinch of salt
      1/2 tsp vinegar
      squeeze of lemon (from a small quarter cut piece)
      1 tsp of olive oil
      1/2 tsp of fresh dill

From what I have found and experienced while helping novice cooks is that it's not so much the ingredients that matter, but technique. Once you learn the basics (grilling, frying, sautée, marinate, chopping, dicing etc) you're good to go! Like the above, the amounts for the white sauce are not an exact science...you taste and adjust as you go! Also, the marinade for the chicken is a staple that can be used on fish, chicken breast and even lamb! You can use it for making kebabs when grilling. The rice is a basic technique too that can carry over to making desi pulaos.

Once you learn through trial and error how to navigate basic techniques, any recipe will fall into place. The most important thing is enthusiasm, the rest will come!

Comment

One tip I wish someone had told me when I started cooking...don't boil the pasta until its completely cooked. By the time you eat it, it'll be mash. Boil until its almost cooked and has a little time left to go...it keeps cooking once its off the heat so don't think its kacha.
        Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames. ~ Rumi

Comment

Originally posted by Reha View Post
          One tip I wish someone had told me when I started cooking...don't boil the pasta until its completely cooked. By the time you eat it, it'll be mash. Boil until its almost cooked and has a little time left to go...it keeps cooking once its off the heat so don't think its kacha.
          Yup! That's called "al dente", or "to the tooth". The same is true when grilling meat or steak, you have to account for carry over cooking time. And when you let the meat rest for 10 minutes before slicing, it allows for the juices to redistribute, thus ensuring you won't get dry, tough meat.

Going back to pasta, before you drain the pasta, always reserve about a cup of the boiling water. It acts as an instant binder/thickening/finishing agent for your sauce, as all the starch has been released while boiling. Also, instead of dumping the sauce on boiled pasta, add the pasta to the pan where the sauce is cooking, it will coat your pasta better, and the al dente pasta will finish cooking off.

Comment

practice , practice aur mazeed practice.
            Fools never disagree.

Comment

Is there anything i have to do with the pasta before i boil it? When you say cook what do you mean? I thought it was boiled straight from the packet... :/
              pass de dutchie

Comment

yes Midnight, its boiled straight from the packet. You dont do anything to the pasta , other then boil it in salted water and then toss it in the sauce you prepare
                The Prophet Muhammad SAW reported that the Satan said to Allah: "I shall continue to lead Thy servants astray as long as their spirits are in their bodies." And Allah replied: "(Then) I shall continue to pardon them as long as they ask for My forgiveness." [Al-Tirmidhi, Hadith 742]

Comment

Yup many people use the word cooking instead of boiling...
                  Look at the back of the package for instructions as well.
                  May Allah bring peace in Pakistan. Ameen
                  Aray Logo Tumhara Kiya
                  Main Jano Mera, Mera Khuda janay-

Comment

ohh ok. Cheers guys
                    pass de dutchie

Comment

Working...
                    X