amateur cooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

amateur cooks

I am just beginning to take an interest in cooking for a few reasons. Firstly it's a skill everyone should have, second it's a cheaper option than constantly buying for ready made and if you're a bit health conscious like me you can make your food however you want.

So with all that said, where is a good place to start. Some easy dishes that I can put together? Bear in mind I really am a novice when it comes to cooking. Also if you guys could point me to any youtube channels or websites??

I know I tend to ramble......
    pass de dutchie

Btw I forgot to add, I'm not a very big desi food eater
    pass de dutchie

Comment

Re: amateur cooks

Youtube is my best friend for cooking

Comment

How about start with baking meats and vegetables. Marinate and bake!
        May Allah bring peace in Pakistan. Ameen
        Aray Logo Tumhara Kiya
        Main Jano Mera, Mera Khuda janay-

Comment

Laura in the Kitchen on YouTube...she makes loads of easy-to-follow and simple recipes.

As for ur first dish...erm...i think pasta is an easy way to enter cooking. Make sure u have very good quality ingredients....olive oil, garlic, cherry tomatoes, spinach and Parmesan go very well together. Or u can make a basic tomato sauce...garlic, onions, olive oil, Italian herbs, spices, salt....simmer away for 30mins-1hrs.

Comment

Ok , welcome to the world of cooking

It may seem complicated , but trust me , its no biggie !

Awesome tips by above posters , How about you suggest a dish that you fancy and we can all help you achieve it with as much ease as possible? that way we will be able to know as well what kind of food interests you the most and we can introduce you to more of that cuisine. Know what I mean?
            The Prophet Muhammad SAW reported that the Satan said to Allah: "I shall continue to lead Thy servants astray as long as their spirits are in their bodies." And Allah replied: "(Then) I shall continue to pardon them as long as they ask for My forgiveness." [Al-Tirmidhi, Hadith 742]

Comment

really good suggestions people. cheers! keep them coming
              pass de dutchie

Comment

Originally posted by Chicken Biryani View Post
                Ok , welcome to the world of cooking

It may seem complicated , but trust me , its no biggie !

Awesome tips by above posters , How about you suggest a dish that you fancy and we can all help you achieve it with as much ease as possible? that way we will be able to know as well what kind of food interests you the most and we can introduce you to more of that cuisine. Know what I mean?
                i was thinking of doing the pasta thing. maybe taking a food selfie, posting it up and letting you guys judge?
                pass de dutchie

Comment

That is pure awesome actually .. we would love it

Do you know your way to make the pasta or do you need any help?
                  The Prophet Muhammad SAW reported that the Satan said to Allah: "I shall continue to lead Thy servants astray as long as their spirits are in their bodies." And Allah replied: "(Then) I shall continue to pardon them as long as they ask for My forgiveness." [Al-Tirmidhi, Hadith 742]

Comment

Originally posted by Chicken Biryani View Post
                    That is pure awesome actually .. we would love it

Do you know your way to make the pasta or do you need any help?
                    i assume im just boiling the pasta right? The tricky part is making the sauce is where i need some help
                    pass de dutchie

Comment

Ok , no worries , I will share the basic recipe with you, its very easy.

Boil few cups of water , add one and a half tsp salt, one tsp oil and after it starts boiling add the pasta in. It should get done in 10-15 minutes on medium heat. Read the instructions of the pasta on the back of the package as well, some are softer and get cooked quicker.

To make the sauce, chop one onion finely as possible. Start frying it in a bit of oil. When it starts browning, add in crushed garlic almost one tsp, fry for a couple of minutes . Meanwhile blend 5-6 tomatoes in a fine paste. Add this paste to the garlic and cover the pot coz this will splutter. Let it cook for a good 15 minutes , after which time, you will see its getting reduced to look like a thick paste. Add in salt to taste, green chilli or black pepper , which ever you prefer, mixed herbs two tablespoons , you get mixed herb packets commonly in grocery shops, a handful of fresh corriander coz that tastes awesome in pasta. When you see the oil floating on the top , the sauce is ready. you can toss the drained pasta in this sauce and sprinkle cheese on it.

If you want to add mince to pasta, as in Pasta Bolognese then , you fry the onion , add garlic and half tsp ginger paste as well, add the mince , fry it until its browned and cooked , add in the tomato paste , wait for it to get reduced to a thick paste and then add the spices , mentioned above . Toss in the pasta and you are good to go !

Comment

If you like Pasta with chicken and white sauce , then you can do the following:

White sauce: mix half cup self raising flour with a cup and a half of milk. ensure its mixed as finely as possible and there are no lumps in it. Add salt to taste , black pepper to taste , mixed herbs two tsps . Now start heating this mixture, keep it on low fire , it will start to thicken up within seconds , after just a minute of it on the heat , add in loads of cheese, keep stirring continuously. Four to five minutes later , this mixture will turn into a thick paste. If its become too thick, add in more whole milk and stir until you get the right thick ketchup like consistency. Keep it aside.

Prepare chicken: bite sized chunks of chicken. chop onion fine, fry , add ginger and garlic one tsp each , fry , add chicken and fry for five to 8 minutes , then add in one tomato chopped and let this chicken cook. Add spices , salt, green chilli or black pepper, mixed herbs. Addd in half cup chicken stock ( you can use the cubes and mix them in water ) wait for the chicken to really soften up and then cook until its got very little gravy and the chicken is soft to touch.

Now, chuck the chicken in a bowl, throw in the pasta and then the cheese sauce , mix it all really really well and adjust seasoning , enjoy !

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight express 91 View Post
                          I am just beginning to take an interest in cooking for a few reasons. Firstly it's a skill everyone should have, second it's a cheaper option than constantly buying for ready made and if you're a bit health conscious like me you can make your food however you want.

So with all that said, where is a good place to start. Some easy dishes that I can put together? Bear in mind I really am a novice when it comes to cooking. Also if you guys could point me to any youtube channels or websites??

I know I tend to ramble......
                          If you like Medditeranean type chicken and rice, this is a copy cat recipe for the Halal Guys cart in NYC...it's pretty easy, I taught my cousin to make it when he moved out on his own lol....the quantities given are for my family of 5 so you would definitely half all quantites given!!

For Chicken -
                          2 tablespoons lemon juice
                          1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
                          1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
                          3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped (about 1 1/2 tablespoons)
                          1 green chilli - chopped ( as per your taste)
                          1/4 cup light olive oil
                          salt and freshly ground black pepper

2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken - (cut in ps as you like. I did mine to small bite size.)
                          Combine the lemon juice, oregano, coriander, garlic, green chilli and olive oil in a blender. Blend until smooth. Season the marinade to taste with kosher salt and black pepper. Marinate the chicken for 1 hr.

When ready to cook, chop one white onion - fine to small pieces ( that's my addition, you can use the red or yellow onion) . Saute in lil oil till soften and then add the chicken with all its marinade. Cook nice till done. make sure not to make it too dry, just moist enough.

FOR RICE -
                          2 tablespoons unsalted butter
                          1/2 teaspoon turmeric
                          1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
                          1 1/2 cups long-grain or Basmati rice
                          1 knorr chicken cube
                          2 1/2 cups chicken broth or any veg broth
                          Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Melt the butter over medium heat in a large pot. -Add the turmeric, knorr chicken cube and cumin and cook until fragrant but not browned, about 1 minute. Add the rice and stir to coat. Cook, stirring frequently, until the rice is lightly toasted, about 4 minutes. Add the chicken broth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Raise the heat to high and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 15 minutes without disturbing. Remove from the heat and allow to rest until the water is completely absorbed and the rice is tender, about 15 minutes.

For WHITE SAUCE -
                          8-10 oz. Greek yogurt
                          1/2 c. mayonnaise
                          1 Tbsp. salt
                          1 Tbsp. white or red vinegar ( I had apple vinegar at home and it was fine to taste)
                          lemon juice - 1 lemon
                          1 Tbsp. olive oil
                          1-2 tsp dill or fresh parsley
                          1 tbsp cold water
                          In a small bowl, combine all the above ing for sauce and whisk nicely. Season to taste with salt. Keep aside.

For topping - slice a tomato and sprinkle with lil olive oil and light pan fry for a min or so.

To Serve individually - Shred some Lettuce and place on the plate. Place rice on top of lettuce and pile the chicken on top of the rice. Put some slices of sauted tomatoes. Top with the white sauce and (hot sauce). Serve immediately. Keep the bowl of white sauce on the table for adding as needed.

Comment

Fried rice isn't made in a deep fryer......jussayin
                            The grass ain't always greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Comment

LOL sara hahahahaha. Im never gonna live that one down. CB and KC cheers a bunch! Im gonna give both of these a bash. KC how did you figure out the white sauce recipe?
                              pass de dutchie

Comment

Working...
                              X