Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In honour of our kids ..

who are picky and choosy about their food

I am going to make this a kiddie food diary , where we can talk about new things to introduce in the kid's menu, various recipes on how to prepare food for them, decorate that food and get them to eat it all successfully .

Please share your ideas here , I am sure we will learn something new every day
    The Prophet Muhammad SAW reported that the Satan said to Allah: "I shall continue to lead Thy servants astray as long as their spirits are in their bodies." And Allah replied: "(Then) I shall continue to pardon them as long as they ask for My forgiveness." [Al-Tirmidhi, Hadith 742]

Re: In honour of our kids ..

So far my 17 month old is used to eating peanuts, sunflower seeds, almond almost every day mixed in his breakfast cereal. But he is not too keen on veggies or fruits . I am struggling to get him on the fruit and veg bandwagon . he eats chicken and lentils as well.

I am now making focused attempts to give him fruit . recently been giving him pureed melon so he doesnt have to chew ! something going into him is better then having nothing in the tummy

Egg is a huge no no , what can I do to get him to eat egg?
    The Prophet Muhammad SAW reported that the Satan said to Allah: "I shall continue to lead Thy servants astray as long as their spirits are in their bodies." And Allah replied: "(Then) I shall continue to pardon them as long as they ask for My forgiveness." [Al-Tirmidhi, Hadith 742]

Comment

Why give him puréed fruit?

Blend veggies in lentils. Try adding fruit to his cereal.
      May Allah bring peace in Pakistan. Ameen
      Aray Logo Tumhara Kiya
      Main Jano Mera, Mera Khuda janay-

Comment

Originally posted by Chicken Biryani View Post

Egg is a huge no no , what can I do to get him to eat egg?
        put it in a cake
        ﺃﷲ ﻧﯣﺮ ﺇﺴﻣﺇﯣﺇﺕ ﯣﺇﻠﺄﺮﺾ_ Best cheese-maker of monkVille

Comment

Originally posted by Lusi View Post
          Why give him puréed fruit?

Blend veggies in lentils. Try adding fruit to his cereal.

Lusi, he chews and eats proper food when its chicken and rice or naan etc .. but when it comes to fruit, I have to break it into tiniest chunks but he still throws them out. He doesnt like biting into the fruit it might be coz of teething or pain but I am done with waiting for him to accept it , so I am giving him pureed fruit so he will start getting used to the taste .. every sitting I give him a chopped or slice fruit as well so he can play with it as well and bite a bit if he likes , but meanwhile I feed him the pureed fruit as well !

I love your idea of adding veggie into lentil .. will do that and see if it helps .. thanks for this tip

Originally posted by Monk View Post
          put it in a cake
          Monk, I know mate, cakes are great , but I am trying not to put him on cakes as yet , want him to start liking anda in some way or form

Comment

how do you get toddlers to eat egg? is it scrambled? half boiled? full boiled.. I think I need help in this anda department , cant seem to get my kid to eat it in any way or form !

Comment

When my daughter was younger,she used to like cheese omelet...then she started liking full boiled eggs,though she also used to gag on it sometimes as it used to be a lil too dry.Then came the phase of scarmabled eggs with a tiny bit of salt,red chillies and zeera.These days,at 4 years of age,she likes her fried egg.She never had toast in her life (except for french toast sometimes),but during my last trip to Pakistan,my ammi used cookie cutters to cut out various shapes out of a slice of bread.Now she eats a slice with her fried egg.
              If your son is not into a certain food at this stage,don't worry.They all go through these phases.He will start liking it.Just keep offering in one way or another.
              Does he like french toast?That is a good way to add some egg to his diet.

Re fruits,try adding them to porridge,yogurt,pancakes.My daughter wasn't too keen on fruits when younger.Something that made her like it was if I made it into a colorful platter or fruit salad.Now she likes fruits,though not all of them.Her favorites are strawberries,grapes,oranges,all melons.I feel it has more to do with the fact that she now loves to peel oranges,and then she eats it too.Any form of melon,she likes to call it 'pops' as I cut it into small pieces and stick a few toothpicks in them for her to pick with and eat.So it is interesting for her and she eats it.
              Have you tried giving him dried fruits?I have seen dried & sliced apples/bananas/pears etc ?Maybe try adding those to his cereal?
              It's better to light a candle ,than to curse the darkness.

Comment

Chips I see where you are coming from. I will try to calm down a bit about the things he is not eating. Cereal is already full of nuts and oats . I tried adding in banana's , apples, strawberries . He quit eating the cereal too. So then I stopped the fruit and now I am slowly trying to get him used to its taste by pureering it until he is ok to eat it in chunks.

I did try giving him the fruit in a slush or an ice lolly form. Little luck . He doesnt like the taste of them.

French toast he rejects as well . Though he likes pancakes but I dont llike giving him them due to all the sugar and carbs .

Comment

Maybe you just need to experiment with the type of fruit? My sons goes through fazes and only eats one or two types of fruit at a time. I also used to make my son quesadillas with grated veg like carrots or courgettes inside and broccoli and cheese bites which also contain egg.

Comment

tiger I like that idea . I think I will start getting him introduced to Quesadillas as well . he is still a big no to cakes and stuff coz i never got him used to them so he might think Quessies are cakes as well

Comment

Originally posted by Chicken Biryani View Post
                      Chips I see where you are coming from. I will try to calm down a bit about the things he is not eating. Cereal is already full of nuts and oats . I tried adding in banana's , apples, strawberries . He quit eating the cereal too. So then I stopped the fruit and now I am slowly trying to get him used to its taste by pureering it until he is ok to eat it in chunks.

I did try giving him the fruit in a slush or an ice lolly form. Little luck . He doesnt like the taste of them.

French toast he rejects as well . Though he likes pancakes but I dont llike giving him them due to all the sugar and car
                      bs .

Try making pancakes with pureed fruit instead.I have used mashed bananas or apple sauce to make pancakes.The banana ones taste sooo good.An occasional pancake wont hurt when it comes to carbs I think.But maybe you can try whole wheat flour or almond flour (not sure how the pancakes would be with the almond flour though!).
                      It's better to light a candle ,than to curse the darkness.

Comment

Great idea Chipsie , definitely worth a try ... I am going to do that soon

Comment

in terms of veggies for kids, what would you guys say is the healthiest vegetable for kids?

Comment

SO when my nieces and nephews are with me...I make mac and cheese from scratch and add bread crumbs...they love it so much they brag about it to other people! It makes my khala heart swell with pride!
                            Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames. ~ Rumi

Comment

i love my nieces and nephew immensely who i have lived with for a long time and who have all moved out in the last few years. when they come for a visit, i treat them by taking them to dine out and quite a few times i make dinner for them. it's usually Italian. they love my cooking!
                              Life is NOT measured by the number of breaths we take but the moments that take our breath away!!!
                              16 breaths a minute, 23040 a day...NO one knows which one will be their LAST!

Comment

Working...
                              X