Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iron rich diet for the 8 month old baby

Hi everyone,

I think baby is falling short of iron , I need to up it in his diet ..

Been looking at diet charts but cant seem to get ideas of one or two high iron content food preparations .. I am keen to find out some other ideas , help pls ..
    The Prophet Muhammad SAW reported that the Satan said to Allah: "I shall continue to lead Thy servants astray as long as their spirits are in their bodies." And Allah replied: "(Then) I shall continue to pardon them as long as they ask for My forgiveness." [Al-Tirmidhi, Hadith 742]

Re: Iron rich diet for the 8 month old baby

CB. If you are giving him fortified cereals he should be good. Breastfed babies are good on iron since the bio availability of iron from BM is better than that in diet, even though more iron is found in diet. Then once you start weaning, certain foods prevent the binding of iron and lessen it further. At months 6-8 babies have lowest iron stores. Most moms give the infant drops for iron, or supplements, as recommended by doctors. How are you saying he is low on iron? The activity level you describe of his, he seems fine. One of the signs of low iron is listlessness and fatigue. Lack of appetite too. I am not sure about the foods especially for babies, but the drops and supplements I am aware of. Look into that.
    I'm sarcastic because it is the body's natural defense against stupid.

Comment

Spinach, broccoli, sweet potatoes, beef, chicken, and egg yolk are highly recommended solids for 8 month old.

check the link Iron and Baby, How much Iron does Baby Need? Is there Iron in Homemade Baby Food? Iron Supplement in Baby Food
      May Allah bring peace in Pakistan. Ameen
      Aray Logo Tumhara Kiya
      Main Jano Mera, Mera Khuda janay-

Comment

apples are good source of iron

but why do think he's getting iron deficiency ?
        Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity !

Comment

Thanks ladies, I noticed recently that he's starting to go pale and his hands and feet seem drained and white .. it worried me alot .. his activity levels remain the same , come what may ! a few weeks back , he went down with flu and fever and still his activity levels didnt fall , the doctor was kind of amazed at how he keeps up with this stuff ... so i have to be more vigilant , in order to catch the clue ..

going to the doctor now , hope he tells me everythhing is fine
          The Prophet Muhammad SAW reported that the Satan said to Allah: "I shall continue to lead Thy servants astray as long as their spirits are in their bodies." And Allah replied: "(Then) I shall continue to pardon them as long as they ask for My forgiveness." [Al-Tirmidhi, Hadith 742]

Comment

Insha Allah everything would be fine
            Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity !

Comment

Suji is great for babies that age. Cook in either milk or water. I used to cook in water with a little salt since he hated sweet stuff.

Comment

ohh my god , you are so right Raania, Semolina , how did i forget semolina .. its what i grew up on coz i had iron issues when i was a kid .. thanks so so so mucch for bringing this up :saadiyah:

Comment

apples, bananas, sweet potato

Comment

CB NNw a days wt r u giving to ur child? tell me whole chart.
                    I am giving my baby cerelec, and rice at night. and fruits when i am eating. and doing bf. u tell?

Comment

Alhumdullillah it wasnt iron deficiency , it turned out that he was just feeling cold and that is the reason his hands and feet seemed like there wasnt much blood there .. the doctor checked him and all is well.

zaiena, following is how i feed him:
                      Breakfast : 3 cubes of fresh mashed fruit + one tablespoon cereal.
                      Brunch : egg yolk , half of it , boiled ..
                      two hours later , I give him cheese bits to nibble on ( just four or five tiny little balls , size of small buttons

Lunch, just vegie cereal

Dinner, fresh vegie two cubes + one tablespoon rice cereal

he takes milk about 8 ounce through the day and then about similar amount through the night ... along that i give him prune juice two cubes every day + some saunf paani two ounce ..

thats it ..

Comment

I was told that at around 8 months, babies need b/w 24-30oz of milk. CB you can also start introducing your baby to texture food.
                        May Allah bring peace in Pakistan. Ameen
                        Aray Logo Tumhara Kiya
                        Main Jano Mera, Mera Khuda janay-

Comment

CB, no wheat or oats as yet? Maybe its time you introduce roti. I have started giving mashed pieces of roti to her and I noticed she likes eating as if she wanted it. She was diagnosed with iron deficiency tho I was already giving her wheat cerelac, banana and rice cereal. The only thing I missed was wheat (roti) and meat. And she likes to have both now if I give her a piece of roti or mince. Also, are you giving him fresh juice? I am thinking of starting apple juice an ounce or two also, to make up the deficiency. Semolina yes. But I have heard its bad to have in the morning and I couldnt cook it in the morning. So maybe from tomorrow.

I am so happy your baby was not diagnosed with iron deficiency but from what I have heard, ( I think demi told) they have sufficient iron they get from mom till 3-4 months. After that, they need it and also, 6 months and onwards in the age when the iron deficiency actually and usually occurs (have to believe it since it did in my baby).
                          Let the Sea be my mother, and the Moon my father;
                          I will swim with the mermaids forever thereafter....

Comment

Mirage , i tried giving him oats, at 7 months , but he didnt like the gooey texture of it at all .. so i skipped it for a few days and tried again but still the same response .. i have quit it for the time being , will try again in a month or so ..

Roti and bread , he eats a few tiny chunks with us .. like when i am having my breakfast , i give him bits of bread and roti with cheese or anda or what ever i am eating .. he loves it and I think it sort of is enough for his daily needs.

but what he is not interested in , is , when i try to give him mashed roti with vegie or bread for breakfast or any of his meal time .. at that time he wants his usual food that he likes .. i am not pushing it either .. coz MA he is already on a heavy diet .. once he feels comfortable with finger foods in another few weeks , I will get him on roti and bread thing ..

Tried finger food on him and put cheese sticks in front of him .. next thing i know he was massaging cheese on his feet and his tummy cant let him waste food like this so i am giving him a few more weeks before handing him finger food .. not to forget , I gave him stick cut apple and he was trying to stick it up his nose and into his ear !

Comment

you can cook mushy rice in meat broth with mashed veggies and feed that instead of cereals on alternate days maybe ?
                              "This world (i.e., its pleasures and duration) in comparison with the Hereafter is (similar to the amount of water) one gets when he puts his finger in the sea. Let him then see what it returns with".[Muslim].

Comment

Working...
                              X