Travelling with a high needs baby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travelling with a high needs baby

Anyone else have a high needs baby? If so, have you travelled with your baby? What was the experience like? Anything we can do to make the experience go smoothly and more enjoyable for all? I'm not talking about the flight...more about the actual vacation when you went sight seeing etc. Do you think it is a good idea or not? I want to go to New York in the fall for 4-7 days but am still on the fence because of my daughter's temperament. I really want to go on a short vacation but I feel like it might be a waste and we won't get to enjoy it properly because of how my daughter is. She will be almost 11 months by the time we plan to travel. Just to give some background. My daughter gets very fussy when we are anywhere but in the home. If we go shopping or out to dinner or even to someone's house, she gets fussy pretty quick. She can't sit in her stroller even for a few mins so we can eat our dinner or even when out shopping. I end up having to take her out of the stroller and walk around with her, carrying her in own hand while pushing the stroller with the other. At home she is much better. It seems home is the only place she is most content (understandable) but we are craving another vacation. I have posted a link to high needs babies below. She pretty much meets 10 out of the 12 features of high needs babies. 12 Features of a High Need Baby | Ask Dr. Sears®

Re: Travelling with a high needs baby

Do you have a carrier? That would allow you to carry her and have both your hands free. You could take turns with your husband. Does your stroller have a reversible seat that can face you? If she can see you all the time, would that help her sit in the stroller? Does she accept pacifiers for soothing?

New York- the downtown touristy bit- is not a very accessible place vs. Toronto, or at least that's what we discovered. Not a lot of buildings had ramps or automatic doors for a stroller, and most had very narrow escalators so taking a stroller up those was impossible. Also the subways were a pain because we had to carry the stroller including the kid up the stairs to get to the trains. But its walkable and if that's your thing, it's great! The energy is amazing. I really loved it overall but our kid is also exceptionally laid back (except for lately- hello, terrible two's! Humph)

Maybe choose a less intense destination since your kiddo is high needs? A beach vacation maybe?
    Life is like a game of cards. The hand you are dealt is determinism; the way you play it is free will.
    - Nehru

Comment

Thanks sgc - You always have great advice. I actually was more focused on her temperament, I didn't think too much about whether the city was accessible or not. I actually just assumed New York would be accessible because well...it's New York! We don't have a carrier. Hubby didn't like the idea of it, even though I was curious about it and was thinking of getting one. He has a bad back so he prefers that she always be in her stroller but she ends up getting fussy and I have to carry her anyway. I agree that a beach destination is better to do with a baby compared to something touristy. The only reason I was thinking New York was because we have been invited to a family function there and I thought, why not extend the stay a bit and actually SEE new York. I don't want to just go for the function and come back without seeing New York. I'm still undecided though....and now that I know its not as accessible that is another thing I have to consider.

Comment

I had a sort of a high needs baby, actually she had really bad colic (7-8hours of continuous crying every night) for the first 2 months, which went down to about 3-4 hours for the rest of the first 6 months. She would start screaming her head off if it was nap time and we were in a public place. I had to resort to covering her eyes with a handkerchief to calm her down (like they do to animals who get spooked by being overstimulated). She would also not (and still doesnt) drink milk in noisy places or if the area is not secluded enough (shes bottle fed, so i dont know where that came from, started in her colic days). So I hardly went anywhere or met anyone for the first few months of her life. It was a very difficult time. I think because of that she developed stranger anxiety and separation anxiety quite early on and my first vacation with her was quite difficult for the first two weeks. She cried the whole 3 hours on the plane (new place new faces). Then she cried at my parents home whenever we sat in a room with ppl in it. But after a few days she became much better, got used to seeing more ppl, became somewhat friendly (or just tolerant) with my family, would not immediately start crying at the sight of a new person etc. In fact after a month she became ok with being held by strangers immediately after meeting them. It was such a big change that I could hardly believe it. On the flight back the air hostess Actually complimented me on how relaxed and calm my baby was!!!! I thought i was in some alternate universe. (my total vacation time was about 7 weeks). But when I went back to my home (where we don't go out as much or meet a lot of ppl) she slowly regressed and became more anxious in new places again. Ofcourse it wasn't as bad as before but still some stranger and seperation anxiety. That made me realize that she is naturally a bit of an introvert but environment plays a big role in how kids develop. I do regret that I might not be nurturing her personality in the best possible way but given the country where I live Im sort of helpless.
        Anyway my point is if ur vacation time is 1 week then it might not turn out to be such a good vacation because ur baby won't have too much time to adjust. Maybe u could try a longer vacation and in a place where u urself are more comfortable and have more family support (e.g parents home, and a city where ur not a tourist urself). That being said anything's possible and it might turn out just fine.

Comment

Working...
        X