Overweight/Obese Children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overweight/Obese Children

What do doctors recommended for children ages 5-10 that are overweight or in obesity?

Are they treated with medications or prescribed diet and exercise?
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Re: Overweight/Obese Children

I think it would depend on what is actually causing them to be overweight.If there is some underlying issue (metabolic/endocrine) then would have to be addressed with medications to treat the cause.
    If it is just lack of exercise/sports and a sedentary lifestyle combined with unhealthy eating habits,then advice to fix those issues along with diet and exercise.
    It's better to light a candle ,than to curse the darkness.

Comment

Originally posted by njgal:9699705
      What do doctors recommended for children ages 5-10 that are overweight or in obesity?

Are they treated with medications or prescribed diet and exercise?
      My apologies for being rude, but I have never seen obese kids whose parents are slim and fit. It all starts from parents lifestyle and doctors should put parents on a strict diet.
      People are afraid of what they don't understand

Comment

I agree that lifestyles and eating habits are something that kids pick from home...if the parents are lazy when it comes to health,chances are the kids will be too.
        But as I said obese kids just do not happen because of negligent parents and bad habits.There can be a reason for weight gain and that needs to addressed/ruled out.
        It's better to light a candle ,than to curse the darkness.

Comment

Someone in our family, quiet close actually!! both parents are like toothpicks but their 8 year old is massive; apparently he's been put on a diet as of last year like no chawal, whole milk and junk food etc, what I gather from this situation is that the mother herself is quiet 'nakammi' and watches tv and hardly ever cooks ghar ka khaana! poor bacha told me himself few weeks ago when they came over for an iftaar at my place that 'Aunty, this chicken that you have made it takes my mom an entire day to make'....I felt sad for him and angry at that jahil mother

It does start at home and parents need to be conscience of everyone's health including their own.
          She is madness sanity, She is hell and paradise

Comment

well my baby was around 1 year when her weight increase was above 90 percentile then her doc recommended to involve her in physical activity like play area, for children 5 to 10 year I think running is best n other outdoor games like badminton, basketball, football n cricket. and my doc advised me to keep checking milk intake after 2 years you can even start giving low fat milk and avoid butter, cheese and all these kind of stuff
            Meri hasti may ANAA hay meri masti may shaaoor ...

Comment

Originally posted by TLK View Post
              My apologies for being rude, but I have never seen obese kids whose parents are slim and fit. It all starts from parents lifestyle and doctors should put parents on a strict diet.
              unless there is a underlying issues like depression or self esteem issues. Some children tend to turn to food to disguise their feelings.
              A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by njgal:9699755
                Originally posted by TLK View Post
                unless there is a underlying issues like depression or self esteem issues. Some children tend to turn to food to disguise their feelings.
                But that is an exception
                People are afraid of what they don't understand

Comment

I agree with TLK and will add that obese/overweight children have one of the following reasons for being the way they are:
                  • Genetics - Not much you can do here other than making sure they eat healthy, be active, and make good food choices. All boils down to the type of lifestyle and values the parents instill.
                  • Parents making poor food choices - Again, if the parents have poor eating and activity habits, so will the kids. Again, boils down to type of lifestyle and values the parents instill.
                  • Parents are too busy and turn to fast food - Again, lifestyle and values that the parents instill.
                  • Depression, problems at school or at home - Yet again, lifestyle and values that the parents instill.

You see a theme here? The parents can really ensure healthy kids by being healthy themselves, making good choices, making time for their children to vent, to be there for them. I think good parenting doesn't only affect a child's mental and social status but also their healthiness. If you're a true paki, you'll read that last word as "Heldiness".

Comment

I just read an article about this in some magazine whilst waiting for a blood test the other day.

This woman put her obese daughter on a 'diet'. It wasn't really a diet.. I really hate that word because of its connotations. Rather, she paid more attention to what her daughter was eating and how much of it. She got the rest of the family to follow the same rules too, so really it was a lifestyle change.

It wasn't just about healthy eating but regulation. Most people can self regulate, this child couldn't. So the mum felt it was up to her to regulate how much her daughter was eating which is easy enough to do at home but what about when your child is at school, or at a friend's house or party?

Exercise is important for health. But weight is due to food intake. Also, for kids and adults alike, most people need to start losing weight to increase exercise - the heavier you are the harder it is to be active.

In answer to your question, as far as I know, doctors advise changing food habits for the whole family.
                    OMG Paki!

Comment

Working...
                    X