Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For working women - how do you cook?

Hi All,

Just wondering for women who work and say get home like 7/8pm. How do you cook? Do you cook on the weekends and freeze it? What about rice/roti? Do you make it that day? Do you get up early in the morning and cook before you leave? Also, what salans or other dishes freeze well?

Please let me how you women do it!

Re: For working women - how do you cook?

When I was working, I used to cook 2 salans and rice on the weekends. I used store bought pita bread.
    May Allah bring peace in Pakistan. Ameen
    Aray Logo Tumhara Kiya
    Main Jano Mera, Mera Khuda janay-

Comment

I work! Initially I use to cook 3 or 4 main dishes over the weekend and freeze them. Later I quite. Since this habit was never tasty nor healthy.

I reach home around 6:00, Cook fresh daily, No matter what. It can be rice, meat, Sabzi anything. but I cook fresh food on daily basis. It takes around 1 hour approx. for me to cook anything.

By 8:00pm normally we are done with the food. I do make fresh chapati’s daily at home tooo.

Time taking dishes: I leave it for weekend only.

Comment

Originally posted by Hinamajid View Post
        I work! Initially I use to cook 3 or 4 main dishes over the weekend and freeze them. Later I quite. Since this habit was never tasty nor healthy.

I reach home around 6:00, Cook fresh daily, No matter what. It can be rice, meat, Sabzi anything. but I cook fresh food on daily basis. It takes around 1 hour approx. for me to cook anything.

By 8:00pm normally we are done with the food. I do make fresh chapatiís daily at home tooo.

Time taking dishes: I leave it for weekend only.

Do you do anything before hand? like chop up veggies or make koftas before actually cooking?

Comment

A lot of housewives i know make koftas,kababs etc before hand and freeze them

Comment

You can buy precooked desi meals.....if you find near you.
            Insulting and inflammatory signatures are not allowed, but posts are

Comment

My friend works and she cooks on weekend. Only do rice or roti for the dinner. However you can store chopped onion, freeze tomatoes and veggies before cooking. Even I do whereas im housewife. Veggies like cauliflower, karela, zucchini and cabbage freeze well. Bhindi and potatoes are not good when frozen. Bhindis you can however cut and store for a day in fridge while potatoes can be cut same day. Kofats and kebab even freeze very well so that can be easily stored. I even store the pizza topping in freezer but i dont like frozen dough. You can store cooked Qeema or chicken boneless for noodles too. What the best in my opinion is that you can use light cooking like only cook noodles, daal or easy veggie on 2/3 days and then other days you can do the cooking that demands time and energy. Moreover if you dont want to freeze you can make 2 salans on sunday evening and they can be stored for 2 days and then you can cook. whatever suits you

Comment

When I was going to school, I would come home around 6...and cook fresh food every day. Like Hina said...I only cooked one hour meals during the weekday. Weekends were for time-consuming dishes. Generally veggie salans and basic chicken and meat dishes (using a pressure cooker) only take about one hour from start to finish. Rotis take another 10-15 maximum. Try to cook quick dishes and always have a go-to quick meal if you're late from work or something. Shami kebabs freeze really well and I used to make shami kebab sandwiches for my husband and myself if I didn't have time to cook a proper meal. AFayiz also made a great suggestion - if you cook 2 things on Sunday, they can be used for the next two days. Sometimes I just made enough salan to last 2 days and we had leftovers. It's very doable.

Comment

Actually bhindi freezes pretty well, you can also find precut frozen bhindi in supermarkets.
                  May Allah bring peace in Pakistan. Ameen
                  Aray Logo Tumhara Kiya
                  Main Jano Mera, Mera Khuda janay-

Comment

I always felt like frozen food was more work and took up a lot of room in firdge so we cooked everyday.. I spent usually only an hour after coming home and made simple things like matar palao, quesadillas, noodles, burgers, aloo sabzi and at most we would have leftovers the next day but frozen food never worked for us. I made roti but then its just me and husband so 2-3 rotis took no time at all.

On weekends, I sometimes tried making haleem, nihari, yakhni for yakhni palao etc and froze them in ziploc bags or small containers to save it for rainy days.

Comment

When I used to work I always made fresh food after coming from office. It took me an hour to finish with food.

And weekends were for lengthy cooking.

Comment

Originally posted by Lusi View Post
                        Actually bhindi freezes pretty well, you can also find precut frozen bhindi in supermarkets.
                        Yes thats available and i did not say it cant be freeze but it is no where same even colour is change when fried so I personally dont like it and so gave suggestion

Comment

Originally posted by cpa2011 View Post
                          Do you do anything before hand? like chop up veggies or make koftas before actually cooking?
                          Yeah I do it for some dishes. Like I have plans to make Palak Gosht today. I have already boiled Palak and freezed it yesterday. Today I just need to make gosht masala and put Palak in it. We are only three members at home. Whatever I cook, I make sure the quantity in enough for a dinner meal only. I do not store leftover anymore. Its been two years I am regularly cooking. Issiey Liye mera andaza sahi hota hai normally. I make sure ke kuch bhi bachey na aur fridge me store na kiya jaye.

Comment

When I worked about 4.5 years ago; used to get home exactly at 8pm each night; It was just hubby and I, didn't have any children back then; now that I think back it was more laid back, I didn't have to rush like I do these days, and it's funny that I am at home too now, I guess being a mommy can change things a lot in order to frantically trying to get things quicker

I would prepare 'onion+tomatoe' masala; pressure cook enough to last me for the enitre week, stored it in the fridge, and then add subzi, goshost or chicken each night whatever I felt like making, I would also defrost the meat in the fridge that morning of before leaving in the morning. Some nights I would make roti; again I would knead the atta on sunday night, but mostly it was naan bread or pita

We hardly ever ate out; we like having fresh meals everday, It is more work for me but that's how I like to keep it around the house and alhamdulillah I am still managing fine with the kids around :-)
                            She is madness sanity, She is hell and paradise

Comment

When I was living with inlaws and working and going to school, I used to cook easy stuff like simple salons and chawal. I would make rotis once a week and freeze them (but they didn't taste as good after 3-4 days. I used to cut the onions before hand sometimes. I also froze some kabobs for when I didn't want to cook. That is what I did this Ramadana nd mA it all worked out.
                              It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life..

Comment

Working...
                              X