A dessert affair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A dessert affair

A few of our friends returned from hajj/umrah. We are hosting a dinner in their honor. I will be making Chinese food. I have decided everything for the dinner menu, however I can't decide what to serve for dessert after Chinese food....any thoughts.....I really wanted to try this recipe for pumpkin cheesecake but not everyone is a fan of pumpkin....help me out guppus
    Allah is Watching........

Re: A dessert affair

what kind of chinese food are you making?
    Simple ain't easy.

Comment

Custard, trifle, pineapple and cream thingie, or if you wanna add a desi touch...kulfi?
      Don't be hurtin' and hatin' cuz my phone is so cool!

Comment

shakarqand yaa motichoor ke laDDoo kii kheer
        Life is NOT measured by the number of breaths we take but the moments that take our breath away!!!
        16 breaths a minute, 23040 a day...NO one knows which one will be their LAST!

Comment

Hmmm,think along the lines what they serve at Chinese restaurants.I came across a recipe by a guppan here,strawberry cheesecake bowl...I really like it.Lemme know I will dig up the link if you are interested.
          I am having a dinner party this weekend.I am serving all desi food and a pineappe trifle for dessert (wanted to do something different but decided this just cause it is easy to make..!)
          It's better to light a candle ,than to curse the darkness.

Comment

I really don't like the desserts that they serve at Chinese restaurants......fried bananas with ice-cream sounds disgusting to me khair.....I am done with trifles, mousse, kheer, halwas, .....I want something different......??? Think ppl think....

Okay here is the menu:

Appetizers:
            Chicken satays
            Chicken corn soup

Main course
            Chicken manchurian
            Mongolian chicken
            Beef with broccoli
            Shrimp fried rice
            Schewan chicken noodles
            Crispy fish in tangy sauce

How does the menu sound....should I add or remove items??

Dessert?????

Comment

Chipsy: show me the recipe woman I will decide after seeing it.....

Comment

In some Chinese restaurants they serve fried banana with ice cream. Oh I think that would be awesome...and sorta unique. Especially if you fry the banana few minutes before serving...so that it's warm...and compliments the ice cream. The crispy texture also makes for a nice contrast. It's a like a tempura batter coating..and I've read that rice flour is used. If you go with this idea....you just have to fry the bananas and buy good quality ice cream...so it won't be time consuming.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahru View Post
                  I really don't like the desserts that they serve at Chinese restaurants......fried bananas with ice-cream sounds disgusting to me khair.....I am done with trifles, mousse, kheer, halwas, .....I want something different......??? Think ppl think....

Okay here is the menu:

Appetizers:
                  Chicken satays
                  Chicken corn soup

Main course
                  Chicken manchurian
                  Mongolian chicken
                  Beef with broccoli
                  Shrimp fried rice
                  Schewan chicken noodles
                  Crispy fish in tangy sauce

How does the menu sound....should I add or remove items??

Dessert?????
                  That's a delicious menu...but here's a suggestion. I think you have a lot of chicken dishes...from appetizer to the main course. Maybe consider cutting a couple of the chicken dishes out. For example...you can elminate either the chicken manchurian or the mongolian chicken. The reason being...that you have two chicken appetizer dishes...and then you have three main chicken dishes. Even having just soup (and not the satays) would be okay as well.

Comment

Here is the recipe.I have made it in a bowl once and also in a 9 x 13 rectangular dish.I felt it was easy to get all the layers out from the dish vs from the bowl which kinda looked messy after a few people had helped themselves.

P.S...The menu sounds perfect..!
                    It's better to light a candle ,than to curse the darkness.

Comment

That's a cool recipe Chippy but that is how I make my trifles plus the jelly...how does peach cobbler a'la mode sound??

Comment

Red velvet: I wish I could take the satays out but considering there will be kids so will have to keep them....

Comment

^Okay then keep the satays...but how about cutting back on the other chicken dishes? For the main course...if you have just 1 chicken dish, 1 beef dish, 1 fish dish, 1 shrimp........I think that would be sufficient as you have different types of meat and it'll be more balanced. You could even pick between the rice or noodles...like maybe pick one.

Comment

oh i don't know maybe baklava, that's the only dessert on ma mind.

mahru, can you share your satay recipe. i could use a recipe from some random site but many times i feel like the results aren't authentic, i'd rather have tried/tested recipes..........so pleeeeez share
                            Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. 8:7

Comment

After a meal like that, you want something light and clean. Like a sorbet.

Or mango pudding.

Or fruit salad with basil syrup. (Make a simple syrup of sugar and water. Take a bunch of fresh basil, either Italian type or Thai type, and mince it up good, then steep or simmer it in the sugar syrup. Strain it.)

Or make vanilla pudding, and top with mango chunks, and drizzle basil syrup over it.

Comment

Working...
                              X