X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't Stop thinking about my love........Baklava :P

*sigh* and Baklava can't stop thinking bout me

ok jokes aside......

i want to learn how to make it from scratch b/c the local grocery store ran out of the baklava they were selling and they only sell it during thanksgiving and christmas and the one they sell has loads of fat and sugar in it. so i decided i want to make it myself to bring to a friend's get together coming up.

pretty please with a cherry on top give me some tried and tested easy(!!!!) recipes for baklava.
    Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. 8:7

Re: Can't Stop thinking about my love........Baklava

I havent tried this recipe myself, but I really liked other things I made from her site, so am sharing her recipe

Comment

Originally posted by midnighteyes View Post
      I havent tried this recipe myself, but I really liked other things I made from her site, so am sharing her recipe

http://www.dedemed.com/mediterranean/baklava-recipe
      so everything you made from this site tasted authentic right?...........thanks for the help *hugs*, i was beginning to think the thread was going to go to thread hell with no response......all lonely......
      Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. 8:7

Comment

i make a version that doesn't feel so guilty and is maybe litle less fat.

make a caster sugar and cinnamon mix, kinda like dusting for donuts (add nuts of your choice walnuts, pistacio etc)
        make the syrup with sugar, water, lemon juice, cloves, melt altogether and let simmer, it must be kinda watery, and not thick and gluey.

Use Filo pastry, put 1 sheet in, brush with melted butter, on the next sheet, sprinkle the sugar,cinnamon,nut mix
        Do this until your dish is full. cut vertical lines that go right to the bottom, and then cut diagonally to make diamond shapes (or whatever shape you want). You will not be able to cut it once it is baked.

Bake in oven around 160 deg C for around 20 minutes. When it's golden, take it out and pour cooled syrup over the hot pastry so that it will soak up the syrup.

Enjoy!

(now i'm going to go make it myself!) yum!

Comment

I love baklava. Every once in a while I go through this baklava-craving phrase. Used to live in KSA and had the best baklava there....it's light/flaky...and with just the right amount of sweetness. I don't care for the monstrous sized varieties that are sold in restaurants over here that are waaaaay toooo sweet. I've had the packaged variety and they're okay. But the ones my dad would bring from Saudi...would be packed in a box...from the Saad-ed-Din bakery...and they'd still have a fresh taste to it. My favorite are the ones filled with walnuts/pine nuts..and I like them shaped in mini bite-sized logs/fingers.
          Last edited by redvelvet; Nov 21, 2011, 08:57 PM.

Comment

I also use Dede's recipe found here on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZqY0myI50Y

I usually use walnuts or pistachios for the filling. And i like to keep it simple by mixing it with just sugar and cinnamon.

For the sugar syrup, they usually add in rose water but since i never have any, i find adding a bit of orange zest after you take it off the heat gives it both a citrus-y and floral taste

Good luck!

Comment

Nisha , did you make it ? what was it like and any tips?

Guys , in the video , DD made it in squares and in finger rolls .. question is , do the finger rolls absorb enough sweetness ? normally the baklava we get in the middle east , the nut mixture itself has sheera on it ... i am wondering how the nut mixture absorbs the sheera when made as per DD's recipe
              The Prophet Muhammad SAW reported that the Satan said to Allah: "I shall continue to lead Thy servants astray as long as their spirits are in their bodies." And Allah replied: "(Then) I shall continue to pardon them as long as they ask for My forgiveness." [Al-Tirmidhi, Hadith 742]

Comment

Working...
              X