What goes in Salan????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What goes in Salan????

So I've always believed and cooked salan with onion.. just onion and of course meat and whatever veggies you want to put in it. Recently my MIL told me that salan should always have tomatoes and yogurt. I've never heard of that. Salan like bhindi gosht, aloo gosht etc. I thought required just onion mixture as opposed to Qorma that requires yogurt too. Something like chicken karhai would require tomatoes. I am a traditional cook. I put what's supposed to go in a dish and don't like to alter the recipe unless its one of my own creation. So do you guys cook "salan" with tomatoes and yogurt, and yeah I do know the difference between salan, qorma, karhai and all that.

Re: What goes in Salan????

I don't always add yogurt, unless it's a qorma or shorba (if shorba, a little bit of yogurt..I don't like water-salans) but for majority of salans, its onion, tomatoes..depending on the texture I want, the ratio of each changes..
    The grass ain't always greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sara516 View Post
      I don't always add yogurt, unless it's a qorma or shorba (if shorba, a little bit of yogurt..I don't like water-salans) but for majority of salans, its onion, tomatoes..depending on the texture I want, the ratio of each changes..
      agreed with Sara516...yogurt only if it's a qorma type dish...95% of salans onions & tamatar, amount of each depending on the specific dish...

Comment

So okay tomatoes goes in salan??!! See I make my salan with gravy that has just onions and masala... anything with tomatoes and yogurt is automatically rich dish.. like qorma.. karhai

Comment

I do add tomatoes or yogurt to my chicken salans ... but not necessarily to other meats because i think the flavor of meat already possesses a certain underlying tartness to it and adding additional tomato/yogurt just makes it too sour for my taste.

mera ishq hai meri zindagi, mera ishq hai meri bandagi
          mujhe aashiqon mein shumarr kar, muje aashiqi ka silaa na dey

Comment

I use onions and tomatoes in almost every single salan.

Comment

^ me too.

You can add yogurt but it makes the taste a little different. It has more of an orangery color to it rather than a deep red.
              A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Comment

I use tomatoes and onions in almost every thing,excpet for daals.Where I need shorba,I add some yogurt to it to thicken it.
                It's better to light a candle ,than to curse the darkness.

Comment

This is what I do:
                  1. For aloo gosht type of salans that have a gravy, I use onions and tomatoes. No yoghurt is necessary. Yoghurt makes a Salan khatta...pretty much what the tomato does, to balance the flavor of onion, but it adds a reddish color.

2. For bhindi gosht consistency, again use of tomato brings depth although there is little or no gravy.

3. For koftay and qorma, typically tomatoes are not used. Traditionalists say that there is no room for tomato in such dishes. Modern day cooks have incorporated tomato in koftay. I'm yet to see someone using tomato in a korma. By doing so, you will negatively influence the favors of kewra that is a requirement in a traditional korma.

4. In karahis and bhuna gosht/chicken varieties, tomato is mandatory.

5. Daals don't require tomato but if you do add tomato to mixed daals, be it 2 daals or 5, tomatoes will bring an awesome flavor to the dish.
                  Don't be hurtin' and hatin' cuz my phone is so cool!

Comment

For everyday salans, my mum uses yogurt instead of tomatoes, as my Dad doesn't like tomatoey salans, and my mum doesn't like red looking salans, however only a table spoon or so is added towards the end of the cooking, so it's nothing like cooking a qorma in which more yogurt is used. Of course there are some curries that require tomatoes such as karhai. They are cooked that way, just not frequently.

My husband prefers more tomatoey salans that are richer in flavour, so I've alterered my style a bit from the above and cook with tomatoes more frequently in my salans.

Kofte are always made without tomatoes, as is qorma.

My dad cooks daal with tomatoes, my mum doesn't.

I think much of it is personal preference, and also there are regional differences. There are some things that are cooked a certain way traditionally, and should always be cooked that way (in my opinion), the rest - each to their own.

Comment

What niksik said!

However I find adding tomatos into koftay very unusual. ?

Comment

Like most people said here .. Tomatoes is a must ingredient in almost every salan of mine ...

I personally find the onion only gravy quite bland ..

When I need a thin gravy or alot of a it ... I do add a bit of yoghurt to give it that thicker consistancy ....
                        The Prophet Muhammad SAW reported that the Satan said to Allah: "I shall continue to lead Thy servants astray as long as their spirits are in their bodies." And Allah replied: "(Then) I shall continue to pardon them as long as they ask for My forgiveness." [Al-Tirmidhi, Hadith 742]

Comment

I almost never make kofte,but my ammi does very frequently.She always uses tomato in it.

Gosh I am confused now...

But I think it is mostly personal preference and how someone has seen or learned cooking.My MIL can not imagine cooking daal without tomatoes and my mother thinks that tomato in daal is the most absurd thing.I very rarely use tomatoes in daal.
                          It's better to light a candle ,than to curse the darkness.

Comment

Working...
                          X