Sewing machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sewing machines

I've realized that while I sew a lot less than I used to, having a sewing machine is a must for me. Small alterations or repairs for my clothes would be impossible without the benefit of a sewing machine. The other day I needed to buy a saree petticoat (which cost anywhere from $10-20), and when I couldn't find the colour in the fabric I needed, it was easier for me to buy the fabric and sew it for myself and it cost me only $4 - so being able to sew allowed me to save money and customize my clothes to my needs. Which made me think, why don't I sew more often? Sewing seems to be a dying art.How many of you lovely ladies have a sewing machine at home and ho many of you actually use your sewing machines?
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy shoes and that's kinda the same thing...

Re: Sewing machines

Darn it! GRRRR! Why can't I edit and add line breaks from my Blackberry? BTW, I didn't call the lovely ladies "hos" it was supposed to read "how" - sorry :sid:
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy shoes and that's kinda the same thing...

Comment

I have never sewed but want to start, just so I can hem my pants or repair a tear. Do you have any tips for beginners?
      www.instagram.com/sabacooks
      What good am I if i can't be me.

Comment

Hi,

I have sewing machine from Husqvarna Viking also have computerized embroidery disc so I can make 20 patterns of embroidery. I love to sew back in Pakistan mostly cloths of lawn and cotton just casuals not formal dresses, here is US I buy it becoz my hubby loves embroided sheets and home decorations done by me, so I made a embroided bed sheet, made so many dresses for my daughter as for EID I make sharara for her and I didn't even know how to cut it but I took help from google, I also made table mats, chair cushions. I use my machine to resize my dresses or some time I sew my cotton dresses too. I think it is good to have sewing machine at home to make little changes in dresses.
        WE NEED BLESSINGS OF ALLAH.

Comment

I sew my own clothes, and have saved a ton of money and stress from not having to deal with the tailors! I only do lawn, khaddar, etc for daily wear, not formals.

For sewing tips, I rely on http://jansewingsolutions.com/

Good luck!

Comment

Jias, what kind of embroidery can you do with that machine ? is it complete designs or just different stitches? How much did the machine cost you, I just want to get an idea. Thanks
            Last edited by automne77; Nov 20, 2011, 03:22 PM.

Comment

I have the Brother SE-350 machine. You can embroider with the included designs, or download additional designs from the internet.

The SE-400 is the updated model of the machine, with basically the same features.

Comment

I've recently borrowed a sewing machine from my MIL. My mum used to sew a lot when I was younger, and taught me some basics, however I never kept it up. I really want to get back into it though, so have bought some fabric to make some nice tops for work.

I do basic hemming and repair work by hand.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerlily View Post
                  I really want to get back into it though, so have bought some fabric to make some nice tops for work.

GREAT! Good luck with it! Do you use patterns, or make your own?

Comment

Originally posted by muscat99 View Post
                    GREAT! Good luck with it! Do you use patterns, or make your own?
                    I have one top I like the shape of, so will use that as my pattern I've never used paper pattern though.

Comment

Perfect! It will fit well! If you need any sewing tips, feel free to ask us here, ask around your friend and family, and also look on the internet. Sewing is such a practical skill, and you will save TONS by not having to buy ready made or rely on tailors.

Comment

I discovered the fun a few months ago , when i knew little about stitching but had to fix all my clothes and even though it took me ages , I just kept telling myself it wasnt rocket science and an educated lady like me can surely not let this minial task make me feel like a loser .. and as I frantically applied every bit of science , soon I started feeling less pressured and sort of started enjoying it instead

I still havnt stitched a dress from scratch , but i think a machine is a must in every home ... i am soon in shaa allah gonna do some cushions for my living room ...
                        The Prophet Muhammad SAW reported that the Satan said to Allah: "I shall continue to lead Thy servants astray as long as their spirits are in their bodies." And Allah replied: "(Then) I shall continue to pardon them as long as they ask for My forgiveness." [Al-Tirmidhi, Hadith 742]

Comment

I would love to venture into this world again. I love love love embroidery but I have never done it myself. I don't know if i should get a simple sewing machine or one that embroidery function as well.

I don't want to do basic embroidery, I wanna do galas and stuff like that. What would you guys recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by automne77 View Post
                            I don't want to do basic embroidery, I wanna do galas and stuff like that. What would you guys recommend?
                            You have 2 choices for embroidery. Either a regular sewing machine, and do the embroidery free hand (which is VERY time consiming), or with a (sewing)-embroidery machine. You can see the links I mentioned above for a basic model. The higher the price, the more features, and sizes available to embroider, as well as the more parts to break down. Whatever you choose, machine emberoidery is a skill that takes much practice to perfect.

Comment

Thank you muscat99, I will look around to see if I can find some used embroidery machines and try to learn this new skill.

Comment

Working...
                              X