How can I help my baby start walking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I help my baby start walking

My little one has turned a year old. He is very reluctant to start walking although he seems quite ready. He walks holding on to furniture but when there is nothing around for him to hold on to, he'd rather crawl. The only time he would take a step without holding anything is usually when he only has to take ONE step between two chairs or something. So what can I do to encourage him?

Ps: My elder son walked at around 9 1/2-10 months and I was kinda hoping the same with this one.

Re: How can I help my baby start walking

Every child is different.

If you want to help build his confidence, have him go from holding on to something to walking toward you and move a tiny bit further each time. Or place something he wants a little distance away.

Comment

stand a foot or two away from him and show him one of his favorite toys or food and encourage him to come and get it...make sure there isn't anything around to hurt him in case he falls. just keep doing this until he takes the first step and then keep increasing the distance between you and him...

...that's how i encouraged my niece once to take her first step and my Bhabhi rewarded me for accomplishing that

i still remember that Rs. 100 crisp bill!
      Life is NOT measured by the number of breaths we take but the moments that take our breath away!!!
      16 breaths a minute, 23040 a day...NO one knows which one will be their LAST!

Comment

I've tried what both of you suggested, he just doesn't wanna walk and would rather crawl towards me or his favourite toy. He seems so so ready though but gets scared. My husband and I wanted to see him walking on his first birthday but he wants to take his sweet little time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sajalina View Post
          I've tried what both of you suggested, he just doesn't wanna walk and would rather crawl towards me or his favourite toy. He seems so so ready though but gets scared. My husband and I wanted to see him walking on his first birthday but he wants to take his sweet little time.
          i know the babies are hesitant...but, you have to be persistent and that's the key! do it, let's say, 10 times a day then his mind will tell him that you won't leave him alone!!!

you need a lot of patience and make quite a few attempts.
          Life is NOT measured by the number of breaths we take but the moments that take our breath away!!!

Comment

Keep trying and encouraging, but don't pressure him or yourself. You seem to have set a deadline, and I think you need to forget it.

Comment

I understand what the two of you are saying, it's just that little people look so so cute walking.

Btw his favourite phrase these days is "go go go". Hahaha, how ironic.

Comment

Originally posted by Sajalina View Post
                I understand what the two of you are saying, it's just that little people look so so cute walking.

Btw his favourite phrase these days is "go go go". Hahaha, how ironic.
                aaaawww...now you make "come come come' [with hand gestures] your pet word for him! don't worry, he'll be running around soon and you'll have to make another post asking us "how to make him sit in one place?" lol

Comment

Originally posted by Khalil KhaaN FaaKhta View Post
                  asking us "how to make him sit in one place?" lol

How true!

First we can't wait for them to walk and talk, in the later years we can't make them sit down quietly.

Comment

My daughter started walking by herself in her 14 month.Your son seems ready but he is more confident in his crawling abilities hence he is still crawling to reach to his favorite toy.Every child is different.He will walk soon,iA...just keep encouraging him...
                    It's better to light a candle ,than to curse the darkness.

Comment

Working...
                    X