Mainstream Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mainstream Music

So before today...for some weird reason...I never really actually listened to the lyrics of some of the more popular songs.

I actually bothered to listen to some today and was so embarrassed. I don't remember Spice Girls being this explicit!

Children listen to this stuff, don't they? Things like Extraterrestrial and all that jazz.

Do parents of teens/tweens let their kids listen to popular radio stations? You can't filter everything, can you?
    Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames. ~ Rumi

Everyone is listening to it no matter what parents do or don't do

Honestly though I listen to mainstream music all the time and I rarely care for the lyrics, I know the lyrics are bad............ really bad but it's the music that draws you in and that's what most people listen to.

Right now there is a song out that shall remain nameless that has the most awesomest beat and sound, however the lyrics are just.........eww. In the beginning I used to have an internal conflict about listening to it (lol) however Overtime The lyrics are just there and I don't pay attention to them too much

PS: I have tried listening to instrumentals it's just not the same, I need the singing

EDIT: I replied last night using the GS app, didn't realize it was in the parenting thread

I would not play the radio in front of my future children within a certin age range. When they are really young I probably would, however when they start to listen and understand the lyrics most likely not
    Last edited by Guac; Nov 11, 2011, 11:07 AM.
    Just because you have an avocado .................doesn't mean you have guacamole

Comment

Re: Mainstream Music

I know I'm going to sound like an old lady, but what is up with music videos too?? I so don't remember them being so explicit either! Thats one channel we definitely won't be having on, not like we watch it anyway.
      Life is like a game of cards. The hand you are dealt is determinism; the way you play it is free will.
      - Nehru

Comment

I can avoid TV channels and radio....but sometimes they use it in kids' movies too.

I like to move it move it.
        I'm quite illiterate, but I read a lot.

Comment

I absolutely loathe the lyrics for children but I love listening to radio in the car. They are beyond explicit like"in the dark lyrics!!" or miss perry.

My children know the songs but aren't old enough to catch on the lyrics. I sometimes just have to turn the radio off. Our friends have gotten the Kids Bop version of the CDs in the car.

There is no other way.
          A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Comment

Seriously, the things they say...
            Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames. ~ Rumi

Comment

I don't think kids pay too much attention to lyrics, nor do they understand the context of them like adults do. Having said that, I find most of contemporary pop music to be vile and discourage my nieces and nephews from listening to it.

Comment

Originally posted by njgal View Post
                I absolutely loathe the lyrics for children but I love listening to radio in the car. They are beyond explicit like"in the dark lyrics!!" or miss perry.

My children know the songs but aren't old enough to catch on the lyrics. I sometimes just have to turn the radio off. Our friends have gotten the Kids Bop version of the CDs in the car.

There is no other way.
                Don't listen with a dirty mind when it just is about dancing in the dark!

Btw, has anyone caught the video of the mentioned song? I wonder how much of it is real vs. blue screen...

PS If I paid serious attention to lyrics, though I probably do subconsciously, then b***** girl song from the late nineties was for a special section of child lovers in prison.
                Say no to 'islamofascism'..

Comment

The sight of my 2.5 year old dancing away to Niki minaj's 'super bass' where she says 'when you gimme that look panties coming off' was terrifying, vevo app was instantly removed
                  One day I woke up and found myself famous....

Comment

Depends on the age of the kids .... my son loves the Blackeyed Peas and LMFAO (Party Rock). We don't watch any videos though. I made a CD of his favourite music and we just listen to that in the car. I am exposing him to Arab music so he is not just interested in English songs.

These days, lyrics are explicit, but so is everything else in society. We can do what is within our power to protect them, but they will eventually be exposed to it.
                    Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Comment

Originally posted by Pink'd Out View Post
                      The sight of my 2.5 year old dancing away to Niki minaj's 'super bass' where she says 'when you gimme that look panties coming off' was terrifying, vevo app was instantly removed

That's exactly why I found the video of the little girl rapping/singing that song and everyone praising it and finding it cute...very disturbing.
                      The grass ain't always greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Comment

I remember watching a little girl dancing on Sheela ki jawani.
                        I'm quite illiterate, but I read a lot.

Comment

Keep your kids away from Lil Wayne and they should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Mehnaz View Post
                            Depends on the age of the kids .... my son loves the Blackeyed Peas and LMFAO (Party Rock). We don't watch any videos though. I made a CD of his favourite music and we just listen to that in the car. I am exposing him to Arab music so he is not just interested in English songs.

These days, lyrics are explicit, but so is everything else in society. We can do what is within our power to protect them, but they will eventually be exposed to it.
                            As long as he doesn't know a thing of arabic, then yallah allah away!

PS People actually listen to and understand to nicky minaj? Where do they find trash like her with a face of a buffoon...
                            Say no to 'islamofascism'..

Comment

^ Lol! I hate to admit it but I did like her "Super Bass" song, the beat is very catchy....I just don't think ANYthing she does is appropriate for kids.
                              The grass ain't always greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Comment

Working...
                              X