Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Child Proofing

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Child Proofing

    My son is almost 8 months old now and very very active. I am having a terrible time running after him as he crawls to kitchen... tries to go close to stairways, pulls cords. So I know child proofing is a must and I've already done few things. My issue is finding the right kind of baby safety gate. My stairways has wall on one side and metal handrail on the other. I don't know what kind of gate will work well. I'll try to attach pictures so you get the idea. I looked at babies r us website and not finding any solution. I am scared because my baby crawls fast and i have a good 12 or so stairs.

    Also, what else should be considered when child proofing a house?

    #2
    Re: Child Proofing

    put child-proof locking devices for ALL your cupboards in your house...move things that can tip over like plants on stools or large vases...install electric socket guards on ALL electric outlets...keep ALL sharp objects out of child's plain view. if you got pets, be careful!
    Life is NOT measured by the number of breaths we take but the moments that take our breath away!!!
    16 breaths a minute, 23040 a day...NO one knows which one will be their LAST!

    Comment


      #3
      Re: Child Proofing

      I can answer the second part of your question.About gates,I don't know as I never got any,we do not have any stairs.
      Some very basic things I have done:
      *Put outlet covers on all outlets.Although she can remove the loose ones with ease.I have not yet found an alternative to those.All loose cords are tied up and hidden as much as possible.
      *the cords for the curtains/blinds are tied up and pretty high up,out of her reach.
      *all kitchen cabinets and drawers have locks.My cabinets do not have any knobs or handles so I used the appliance lock thingies.They have sticker like thing on both ends.It can damage the finish of cabinets but since there was no other alternative and her safety was a priority,I just put them there.They have been a life saver and I actually bought quite a few packs.I used them on the dustbin,the bathroom vanity and the drawer chest which contains medicines.*
      *Make sure to keep a set of keys for all the rooms handy and not in a bedroom in a way that if your child locks itself in a room you can open it from the outside.I don't know why but the bedroom doors in my house can be locked from the inside but cannot be opened from the outside.There is no provision for a key.I just recently got knob covers for the bedroom doors (although I still have to put them on...!!)
      *Lately she has been pulling off the dining table's table cloth to get whatever is on there.Make sure that is not an issue.She has also been able to get on her tip toes and reach for whatever is on the kitchen counters.Keep things away from the edges of the counter.Since the stove is teh same level,I try my max to avoid using the front burners when she is up and around.
      *Table edge protectors...our glass table was a one with 8 corners...so we got a quilted bumper kinda thing..it was stretched across the edges and worked great.We recently had to pick up the table because she was climbing on it and then jumping off of it without knowing how to..
      *It sounds no fun but I actually keep all the doors to bedrooms and bathroom closed the entire day.She has the living room and dining room and kitchen at her disposal.I have baby proofed these rooms as best as I can...Once she is in any bedroom,I make sure I am in there.

      Mine is MA 19 mo.It is such an exploratory age for them that it gets risky at times.Yo can never be too careful with them.These were just a few things I have done or keep in mind.Will post if I can think of anything else.
      It's better to light a candle ,than to curse the darkness.

      Comment


        #4
        Re: Child Proofing

        Originally posted by Spiral View Post
        My son is almost 8 months old now and very very active. I am having a terrible time running after him as he crawls to kitchen... tries to go close to stairways, pulls cords. So I know child proofing is a must and I've already done few things. My issue is finding the right kind of baby safety gate. My stairways has wall on one side and metal handrail on the other. I don't know what kind of gate will work well. I'll try to attach pictures so you get the idea. I looked at babies r us website and not finding any solution. I am scared because my baby crawls fast and i have a good 12 or so stairs.

        Also, what else should be considered when child proofing a house?

        We had a similar issue and ended up not getting a safety gate at all. First we placed a sofa there, which worked for a few days before he figured out how to climb over it. We tried a few other things too, but nothing worked. Our stairs are also wide and none of the safety gates would fit. We ended up padding the sides and corners with a lot of cushions and just kept an eye on him.

        We got child proof door handles for all of the doors (especially the bathrooms) so that he cannot open the doors and possibly lock himself in.
        Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

        Comment


          #5
          Re: Child Proofing

          safety gates are a must.
          I'm quite illiterate, but I read a lot.

          Comment


            #6
            Re: Child Proofing

            For stair cases safety gates are a must.

            I didn't want to drill holes in my banister so I got a pressure mounted one and to secrue it I used matching color tie backs for upstairs and downstairs.
            A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

            Comment


              #7
              Re: Child Proofing

              Oh I want to put gates on kitchen entrance too. I have two entrance.. one to living room and the other to dinning. I hate my son crawling on kitchen floor picking bits he see on floor and plus its not safe.

              Mehnaz, can you explain in details. I actually have similar issue. Stairway too wide to fit any gate plus there is wall on just one side and a very thin metal grill thing on the other. What would work?

              Comment


                #8
                Re: Child Proofing

                Originally posted by chips6 View Post
                I can answer the second part of your question.About gates,I don't know as I never got any,we do not have any stairs.
                Some very basic things I have done:
                *Put outlet covers on all outlets.Although she can remove the loose ones with ease.I have not yet found an alternative to those.All loose cords are tied up and hidden as much as possible.
                *the cords for the curtains/blinds are tied up and pretty high up,out of her reach.
                *all kitchen cabinets and drawers have locks.My cabinets do not have any knobs or handles so I used the appliance lock thingies.They have sticker like thing on both ends.It can damage the finish of cabinets but since there was no other alternative and her safety was a priority,I just put them there.They have been a life saver and I actually bought quite a few packs.I used them on the dustbin,the bathroom vanity and the drawer chest which contains medicines.*
                *Make sure to keep a set of keys for all the rooms handy and not in a bedroom in a way that if your child locks itself in a room you can open it from the outside.I don't know why but the bedroom doors in my house can be locked from the inside but cannot be opened from the outside.There is no provision for a key.I just recently got knob covers for the bedroom doors (although I still have to put them on...!!)
                *Lately she has been pulling off the dining table's table cloth to get whatever is on there.Make sure that is not an issue.She has also been able to get on her tip toes and reach for whatever is on the kitchen counters.Keep things away from the edges of the counter.Since the stove is teh same level,I try my max to avoid using the front burners when she is up and around.
                *Table edge protectors...our glass table was a one with 8 corners...so we got a quilted bumper kinda thing..it was stretched across the edges and worked great.We recently had to pick up the table because she was climbing on it and then jumping off of it without knowing how to..
                *It sounds no fun but I actually keep all the doors to bedrooms and bathroom closed the entire day.She has the living room and dining room and kitchen at her disposal.I have baby proofed these rooms as best as I can...Once she is in any bedroom,I make sure I am in there.

                Mine is MA 19 mo.It is such an exploratory age for them that it gets risky at times.Yo can never be too careful with them.These were just a few things I have done or keep in mind.Will post if I can think of anything else.
                damn... i didn't even think of half the things you mentioned. I hate hate hate making changes to anything in my house because I like it nice and clean and in original condition.. but too bad

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: Child Proofing

                  Originally posted by Spiral View Post
                  damn... i didn't even think of half the things you mentioned. I hate hate hate making changes to anything in my house because I like it nice and clean and in original condition.. but too bad
                  \

                  I know..!!..I was like that too.I was depressed for 2 days when my husband removed the table from the living room...
                  I still look at the empty space and feel sad...
                  It's better to light a candle ,than to curse the darkness.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X