Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick help needed... Substitute for khoya?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick help needed... Substitute for khoya?

I want to make coconut halwa but the recipe requires khoya for that..I don't have that and can't buy it either..what else can I use that is available in the us stores?

Re: Quick help needed... Substitute for khoya?

Omg...I was thinking the same thing this morning.I was thinking of making gajar halwa and was wondering what can be a substitute for khoya...

Sorry I have no idea what can be a substitute.I know people make it from scratch using ricotta and powdered milk but it sounds like a lot of work and I also do not know how to make it.

p.S...share the recipe for coconut halwa please...
    It's better to light a candle ,than to curse the darkness.

Comment

Oh interesting...ricotta n powdered milk...let me see if I can find a recipe n see if it's simple enough!!

I saw this recipe in masala kitchen magazine that a mmi brought from Pakistan... Should I try it first or just write down the recipe? I have no idea how it will turn out!!!

Comment

hmmm...try it first and then lemme know if it is worth the effort..

Comment

Ok I just this recipe online..1 can condensed milk, 2tsp ghee ( I have desi ghee at home), and 2tsp yogurt..microwave for 6 mins.what do you think? Won't that be too sweet?

Comment

hmmm...yeah sounds like too sweet.Now that you mention it,I have heard of a microwave recipe as well.I think it used evaporated milk and powdered milk,definitely no ghee and yogurt.But if you have the stuff I guess you can try with small quantities and see because it sure does sound easy.

Comment

I do not know about the one you are trying , but I have used ricotta cheese myself. It was good.
              Originally posted by Gemini the Great View Post
              Ok I just this recipe online..1 can condensed milk, 2tsp ghee ( I have desi ghee at home), and 2tsp yogurt..microwave for 6 mins.what do you think? Won't that be too sweet?
              Fools never disagree.

Comment

http://www.khanakhazana.com/articles/khoya.aspx

the first 3 options sound do-able.

Comment

Mirch... Did you just heat up the ricotta cheese until it lost water or did you add anything else in there too??. Please share the exact recipe?

Chipsy..let me check it out!!! And remember my husband made the microwave khoya once? He is off to work but I would havebtried that!!!
                  Last edited by Gemini the Great; Nov 10, 2011, 11:20 AM.

Comment

home made khoya using milk powder, a five minute recipe cooked in microwave

This seems easy.what do you think..>??

Comment

^ oh it does..I m trying this recipe..I have nido milk powder at home...will try n let you know how it turns out!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini the Great View Post
                        Mirch... Did you just heat up the ricotta cheese until it lost water or did you add anything else in there too??. Please share the exact recipe?
                        I added one quart of half n half to one box of ricotta cheese and cooked it a few minutes when the conccotion precipitated I drained the water out and cooked a bit to make sure it looks like khoya and it did.
                        Fools never disagree.

Comment

Thanks mirch..I will try that too someday.

I tried the recipe chipsy posted in post #10 and it was the perfect khoya..easy peasy!!! Thanks.

Comment

I use plain barfi(without nuts) in carrot halwa or any other halwa i cannot get my hands on khoya but making sure to reduce the amount of sugar in the recipe since barfi is sweet itself already.
                            "This world (i.e., its pleasures and duration) in comparison with the Hereafter is (similar to the amount of water) one gets when he puts his finger in the sea. Let him then see what it returns with".[Muslim].

Comment

i have just baked ricotta for khoya, you just have to keep stirring it from time to time when baking
                              May Allah bring peace in Pakistan. Ameen
                              Aray Logo Tumhara Kiya
                              Main Jano Mera, Mera Khuda janay-

Comment

Working...
                              X