Baby's first food!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baby's first food!

So mine is very ready for food. He stares at us while we eat- so awkward! Haha- and sometimes outright lunges for plates lol

Hubby picked up "my organic baby brown rice cereal". Is it ok to give brown rice cereal? It's meant for baby's first food as per the box but I'm not sure.

How much, and how often should he eat this?
    How much milk should he drink?
    When do I introduce other food?
    What are good other foods to introduce?
    Any book or web recommendations for feeding and also for making baby food?
    Life is like a game of cards. The hand you are dealt is determinism; the way you play it is free will.
    - Nehru

Re: Baby's first food!

Before his first birthday always give him milk first then solid food.

Start by giving him 1 tsp in a few TBSP of milk or water....it'll be runny but that's what he needs to get used to it. Do this for 4 days and if there is no reaction then you can start making it a little thicker. After a week of cereal you can intrduce a veggie....one good one is squash or sweet potato cause its easy on their tummy and is mild in flavour. My doc recomended cereal, veggie, fruit, meat, dairy in the order for introducing foods.

I found this feeding chart really helpful

As for introducing new foods....if he goes 4 days without a reaction you can assume that food is safe and go on to something else.This website is really helpful in figuring out what you can introduce by age group. I make all my own baby food and this site has really helpful tips for freezing and storing.

Wholesome Baby Food is the largest baby food site in the world! Learn about starting solids and making your own fresh baby food from fruits and vegetables.

As for storing baby food....I use a covered ice cube tray thingy I got from brs....the one below....I make it once a week and freeze..the other one is really helpful too for traveling with the food.

Comment

^Yup.

At 5-6 months, solids are only being offered as an experience. His main source of nutrition should remain milk. Offer him a bottle, then a little later offer him food. At this age he should only be offered solids once a day. In a couple months he'll start having meals, but it's too early.

Rice cereal is a typical "first" food. When you first offer it to him, keep it pretty milky. If he's like Bunny, he'll get annoyed that you keep taking the spoon out of his mouth and that there isn't a continuous flow like his bottle . Hehe. I used the Gerber rice cereals.

Also, khawa recommended this site and I found it very helpful (eventho I didn't usually make my own purees when she first started): http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/

Bananas, pureed carrots, pureed squash, pureed sweet potatoes are all typical first foods too. Our ped recommended starting with yellow veggies then moving to the green ones. The yellow veggies have a milder, sweeter taste. I think most of them are easier to digest too.

Comment

Congratulations..this is yet another exciting phase.I was super duper excited when I started my daughter on solids...

Rice cereal or brown rice cereal is typically the first thing to introduce.I did the same but keep in mind that rice cereal can be binding.I stopped giving her rice after a few days and switched to oatmeal.She was fine with that and then we reintroduced rice cereal after a few weeks.
        initially just used to give her a few spoons ,once daily and she was drinking milk just like before.Sahar is right,start with yellow veggies first (stage 1 baby foods).After cereal I tried bananas.She did not like them and still is not a big fan of them.Just make sure to slowly introduce new food items,and not something new every day.
        It's better to light a candle ,than to curse the darkness.

Comment

^ oh yes both rice cereal and bananas can result in constipation, so keep an eye out for that. We gave mine oatmeal too (still the baby Gerber one).

Comment

MashaAllah great milestone We gave rice cereal to our baby boy last night. just a few spoons so he starts getting used to the taste etc. I was so emotional..almost about to cry..hehehe...he was swallowing it very well Alhamdulillah.
            we will increase the amount gradually andhopefully when he starts eating a full portion every evening I will hopefully have chance to sleep for longer..these days I am breastfeeding almost every 2nd hour!!!! this morning I was breastfeeding him every hour between 3-9!!

Comment

He should be at least 4 months old before he starts foods. Its also better to delay till 6 months if possible. I compromised and started at 5 months.

Comment

I am waiting till she is 6 months old to fully start it, till now its been a few spoons of carrot, but madam doesnt like carrot, the face she makes is hilarous, better capture that on video.

Comment

so we gave him his first taste of rice cereal and he hated it lol
                  funniest video ever. he was excited about the bowl and the spoon but spit it out every time i tried, and then in the end, he just pushed my hand away each time i tried. oh well.
                  i'm going to try banana tomorrow morning iA, and for lunch really patli, mushy, blended khichri. i think he didn't know what to do with the spoon and food on it initially and then possibly didn't like the taste after he actually got some in his mouth.
                  Life is like a game of cards. The hand you are dealt is determinism; the way you play it is free will.
                  - Nehru

Comment

^how cute sgc! i can so imagine it.
                    This is because they are not used to the plastic spoon and the tongue reflex that shoves the spoon back is still intact.
                    It will take a few times before you guys will get a hang of it and then he will look eagerly for his feed time iA

Comment

^ hopefully! lol
                      i had visions (nightmares) of a picky eater.
                      - Nehru

Comment

that is cute.My daughter used to keep the spoon in her mouth initially.She thought it was like a bottle nipple,and stays in mouth for constant food supply..hahha.
                        They are smart,they figure it out really soon..It si fun to introduce new stuff and see their reactions.Ever since mine was a baby she has never had a sweet tooth.Fruit purees were always disliked.She is the same today although I wish she would eat some fruit.
                        Just make sure to introduce one new thing at a time.
                        It's better to light a candle ,than to curse the darkness.

Comment

^yeah Bunny was annoyed whenever we took the spoon out.

Comment

Originally posted by somegroovychick View Post
                            so we gave him his first taste of rice cereal and he hated it lol
                            funniest video ever. he was excited about the bowl and the spoon but spit it out every time i tried, and then in the end, he just pushed my hand away each time i tried. oh well.
                            i'm going to try banana tomorrow morning iA, and for lunch really patli, mushy, blended khichri. i think he didn't know what to do with the spoon and food on it initially and then possibly didn't like the taste after he actually got some in his mouth.
                            Don't worry about it --- it took a week of trying before my son would eat cereal.... even now its not his fav... but when I add cinnamon, elichi, or vanilla he'll eat it.

Comment

so khichri was sort of a success. it was very mushy and mum gave it to him with her fingers. there was still lots of head shaking and mouth-pursing but he did eat a tiny, tiny, tinnnyyyy bit of it so that's progress. i have the funniest pictures of the faces he was making.
                              - Nehru

Comment

Working...
                              X