Ghar ka khana versus bahar ka khana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ghar ka khana versus bahar ka khana

My nephew spends a lot of time with me these days. He is eating the pureed Gerber fruits and veggies right now.

My mom does not like this. She wants us to feed him ghar ka bana huwa baby food. She makes it herself (its like this really patli khichri with a little bit of chicken in it) and wants me to make sure he eats it.

He won't.

I tried so many times! I feel terrible because she spends so much time making his food everyday and he just rejects it. Today, just three bites and then he started closing his mouth when I brought the spoon close. The only thing he will eat is his Gerber baby food or some table food if its tasty. I mix the pre-made Gerber with a bit of rice cereal or oatmeal or the mixed grains for babies. He'll eat that just fine but not the ghar ka khana.

Its healthier for kids to be eating ghar ka khana, no? Or is it not a big deal right now?
    Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames. ~ Rumi

Re: Ghar ka khana versus bahar ka khana

How old is he?
    Don't be hurtin' and hatin' cuz my phone is so cool!

Comment

I think it's important that he is eating and enjoying mealtime and trying new foods. Keep offering him a variety of foods (home and store). It takes kids a while to accept some foods. My daughter was the same way, especially with kichri. I think for her the taste of the daal was not as appealing, though she grew to like it. But it made me give up initially. I did both, store-bought purees, and then as I got braver, home-made mashes and purees.

I did make sure to taste whatever I give her, especially when it was store-bought. If I didn't feel it tasted good or authentic, I wouldn't give it to her. I HATED the way Beechnut baby foods tasted. Gerbers were okay. I liked Earth's Best most. It's affordable, organic, and tastes pretty authentic and fresh.

Comment

my baby also loves fruits n vegies but instead of buying from outside i make purees myself just boil n blend she loves them i dont force her for things she dont like
        Meri hasti may ANAA hay meri masti may shaaoor ...

Comment

My son made a big fuss when I gave him chicken....I think its the texture....also chicken happens to be pretty dry. It took a few weeks for him to get used to it. Don't force it...just give him a few bites until he gets used to it. If your mom feel so strongly about it ask her to make him puree fruits and veggies.....if he's eating Gerbers he'll eat those too.

Comment

It is all about variety.They need it.Maybe he is not liking the home made food.Don't worry about it.My daughter used to love the Gerber fruit purees.And when I made the same thing at home ,she never ate it.
            Keep offering him a variety of stuff,both store bought and home made.I used to mix vegetable purees from Gerber with home cooked rice etc etc.At the end they just want variety,sometimes more than grown ups.
            Btw how old is he..??..My daughter started rejecting smooth purees around the 10 month mark.All she wanted was texture.
            It's better to light a candle ,than to curse the darkness.

Comment

Not to put down your mother's efforts , she does it out of love and that is the only thing she knows.
              If you feed me patli khichri with chicken in it every day , then I will start puking the third time you feed me that same thing. It is all about variety. The color , texture and density of food appeals to all humans. Even this patli khitchri can take various aromas, colors , textures and densities with little effort. Make it look good , different , appealing , appetizing and he would ask for more.
              Fools never disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by Niksik View Post
                How old is he?
                He is 9 months Mashallah.

Originally posted by Mirch View Post
                Not to put down your mother's efforts , she does it out of love and that is the only thing she knows.
                If you feed me patli khichri with chicken in it every day , then I will start puking the third time you feed me that same thing. It is all about variety. The color , texture and density of food appeals to all humans. Even this patli khitchri can take various aromas, colors , textures and densities with little effort. Make it look good , different , appealing , appetizing and he would ask for more.

I know what you mean but I can't tell her not to make it.

I am thinking of taking the salt out of it...will that make a difference?
                Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames. ~ Rumi

Comment

at 9 months he is likely to get fussy and start showing interest in things he can pick up with his hands. that's when my daughter started refusing cereals and purees and wanted little morsels of things.

Comment

Originally posted by Reha View Post

I know what you mean but I can't tell her not to make it.

I am thinking of taking the salt out of it...will that make a difference?
                    If he has already gotten used to taste of extra salt he would not like it if you take it out.
                    Don't tell her to stop but tell her politely ,that we need to create some variety.

Originally posted by Sahar02 View Post
                    at 9 months he is likely to get fussy and start showing interest in things he can pick up with his hands. that's when my daughter started refusing cereals and purees and wanted little morsels of things.
                    Great observation. Since kids like to pickup thinks and eat that is a good idea to get them interested in eating a variety of stuff.
                    Fools never disagree.

Comment

it doesnt have to be khichri only. I remember steaming/baking and then pureeing different vegetables and fruits. Once she was a bit older, i also pureed boiled potatoes, broccoli, rice etc with some broth. Or if we were having soup, i would put it in the blender for my daughter. I think she was pretty open to eating at that point. I wish i had pushed her some more because right now she is super picky. maybe its their nature but i wish i had tried more with her when she was younger. They learn what you constantly give them. My 1.5 yr old nephew now only eats meetha stuff like custard, sawayan etc because thats the only thing he is fed.
                      I love children and old people. Its everyone in between I can't stand - Don Imus

Comment

Hi Reha
                        Maybe you should try to mix the kichri with the store baby food. Try 1 spoon at first. I think it's good to introduce home made food to infants, as long as it is healthy.

Comment

Close his nose and then put it in his mouth.
                          Say no to 'islamofascism'..

Comment

Working...
                          X