Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wat do you tell ur kiddies abt Christmas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wat do you tell ur kiddies abt Christmas?

ohh like the new forum...

i wanted to ask everyone what they think about children celebrating Christmas. ok im sure many peeps on here celebrate christmas and give out presents an all. but when it comes to children what do we tell them about the Story of Jesus?

I was reading a group of children a story on the christmas nativity and when i read the words "the son of God" i fealt like i had done "Shirk" but then children hear this all the time.......

ur thoughts plz...

Re: Wat do you tell ur kiddies abt Christmas?

CE, my daughter has been asking us about putting up a tree and lights and all that, so we told her that we are muslims and we don't celebrate christmas but we can put up lights and decorations on Eid. However, I don't want her to feel too different so we allow her to share presents and participate in all school christmas related activities. In fact she went to a christian pre school where she even participated in a christmas concert.

However, she is aware of the concept of Allah being the one God and that as a muslim while she is respectful to other religions and their celebrations, she is not to confuse worship with traditions.

I hope as she grows older she will understand the differences and cherish her belief system.
    Don't be hurtin' and hatin' cuz my phone is so cool!

Comment

And yes, she did ask me about Jesus being the son of God. So I told her that the Christians believe that but we believe that he was a prophet, and she was OK with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Niksik View Post

I hope as she grows older she will understand the differences and cherish her belief system.

Ameen...

i remember back in school taking part in school concert's but was always a bit confused, an thinking is Allah gonna be Naraz with me if i sing the Christmas carols... but yeah later i found out tht the Story of Jesus is the same as Islam to some extent....

Comment

I dont have kids, but when I do inshallah I want them to be proud of their Islamic identity. Im not going have Xmas tree and presents and whatnot, rather inshallah will make Eid the special and wonderful celebration for them, the one they are excited about and look forward to. I will explain to them how our beliefs about God and Jesus differ from the Christians and that they have their ways and we have ours

Comment

My daughter also felt like that. She asked me that mom, is Allah mian going to get mad at me for singing that stuff. I told her, no, he'll probably get mad at your mom

Anyhow, I think if we keep a balance and know our limits hopefuly we can stay on the right track.

What I'm impressed with is that her teacher emailed me a few days ago to ask me if it's OK for my daughter to participate in school festivities because we are of a different religion. That was very thoughtful.

Comment

Originally posted by midnighteyes View Post
              I dont have kids, but when I do inshallah I want them to be proud of their Islamic identity. Im not going have Xmas tree and presents and whatnot, rather inshallah will make Eid the special and wonderful celebration for them, the one they are excited about and look forward to. I will explain to them how our beliefs about God and Jesus differ from the Christians and that they have their ways and we have ours

very good point, i have lil nephews who look at the houses which are all lighted up with christmas lights, and say we want tht in our house too....

but then in actuall fact we should be doing the same on Eid, an making it just as speacial....

Comment

That is what we usually do on Eid. But we will do a bit more this time.

Comment

When me and my sister were younger we used to celebrate Christmas so we had a tree in the house with the lighting and everything, we sang carols, exchanged gifts with the grandmother and thats about it. We didnt talk about the religious side to it and as we grew older we just stopped that almost altogether because it was confusing for my younger siblings.

Eid can be made a very big deal to the kids if you really put some thought and effort into it. Get the kids all excited by having a big cleaning day to get the house in shape for guests, take them out food shopping for the actual Eid day and let this be the one occasion where they're allowed to just pick up any yummy treats and not be told NO... let them help decorate the house by blowing up colorful decorative balloons and placing them nicely around the house, get some streamers, banners, have them put up their own personalized Eid Mubarak signs around the house. Tell them to make their own cards for their aunts and uncles and other families they will be visiting. If theres alot of young kids in one area, place names in a basket and they pick out a name and thats who they'll buy Eid presents/make presents for (like schools have secret santa).... let them help pick out new clothes for Eid.... they could certainly help with the food too.... my mother used to let us little ones decorate Eid cupcakes with any color frosting and sprinkles and m&ms or whatever we liked... it was a very nice bonding experience and something we all looked forward to. Take pictures, make a movie, have a nazm singing competition... there's alot you can do to make Eid as special as it should be!
                  it's the heart afraid of dying, that never learns to dance; It's the dream afraid of waking, that never takes the chance; It's the one who won't be taken, who cannot seem to give; And the soul afraid of dying, that never learns to live.

Comment

Christmas in our family is a holiday to indulge a bit in the "spirit of giving", to gather with family and good friends and this is the "meaning of Christmas" to us. It does not have to be a religious holiday and to some (like us), it isnt. The kids know about Jesus and that its his birthday but they will not be taught to worship him kwim? Its his birthday, he was a prophet and to celebrate his birthday, we give gifts and have holiday feasts. The kids also beleive in Santa, thats a fun thing that adds magic to their childhoods, something that I had growing up and want them to have also.

It doesnt have to be a big issue that in the west, Jesus is called "Son of God", even at a really young age, kids can understand that some people think that Jesus was a son of God but Muslims beleive that he was simply a prophet. Other than that, the nativity story is fine yeah? CE, when you were reading that story, you could have started a discussion maybe....after the story was over, tell the kids about how Christians beleive Jesus was the Son of God but that Muslims beleive that he is a Prophet and this is why the holidays are different in different religions. Kids really enjoy learning about different cultures and religions and different people and places, they think its fascinating.

Our school system does not have "Christmas" celebrations. They have "Holiday" celebrations. The parents go to see the concert and each grade sings songs about Christmas, Hanukah, Eid and Kwanzaa.

We have been working with the boys for their cub scout troop's holiday drive, we've been collecting gift items for those in need and its amazing how much they've accumulated. We so far have 3 big boxes filled to the top and will take them to the community center, help package them up and get them sent out. This is doing so much to teach the boys about the spirit of giving.
                    I dont see that putting up a christmas tree or indulging in "Santa" is haraam....it doesnt mean that you accept Jesus as the son of God yeah? And wishing others well on their holiday is a kind thing to do and these well-wishes may then be returned to you on your holiday.

So HO-HO-HO and merry christmas to all!

Comment

We dont have kids yet but i know that we will not be celebrating christmas at all. Hopefully we will be able to make a big deal out of Eid and celebrate that in style with lights, banners, presents etc (Thanks Riya for such great ideas!). I dont think the kids need to be confused with christmas trees at home when we tell them we dont celebrate it. That just doesnt make sense to me. And hopefully i can have some good ways to tell them how we are different and why we dont celebrate non-muslim holidays. I think its totally acceptable to do that, afterall being from a different religion is not a bad thing but having confused kids can be.
                      I love children and old people. Its everyone in between I can't stand - Don Imus

Comment

Mamaof3, interesting stuff, but i think my class of 3-5 yr old children might get a little confused if i tell them what i as a muslim believe, and what they as Christians believe(especially over the christmas period...). but mayb i could tell them the Story of Jesus and use the name "Isa" instead.

btw it is just the "Son of God" bit tht we as muslims dont believe haan?

P.S Riya i lov ur Idea.......
                        Last edited by CE; Dec 7, 2008, 03:57 AM.

Comment

I agree with you Ira, about making Eid really super-special. Yet...I dont think that Muslim kids necessarily get confused over Christmas. Its all in what and how you tell them yeah?

We live in USA, in a mainly Christian neighborhood. So here, christmas is a BIG deal and not so much a big deal for Eid (out in the community I mean). If we were in Pak, then it would be the other way around. The thing is, both are good reasons to celebrate, to share in the joy of the season, to get together with family and to learn about the spirit of giving.

I dont see the need (Islaamically or otherwise) to deprive my kids of either one of these very special holidays and they arent confused about it at all. There was another Muslim family in our neighborhood and they too had it down very nicely with their kids. They made a small christmas and a very large Eid and the mom would go to her kids' classrooms on Eid, give a presentation, wear traditional clothes and then pass out little gift bags to each kid in the class. The kids all LOVED it and went around saying Eid MUBARAK to each other the whole week.

You can adapt without losing cultural or religious identity...takes work but IMHO it is well worth the extra effort.

Comment

CE, yes using "Isa" is a really good substitute...and yes, your class is a bit young to get into the rest...ie., difference between religions. At that age, its best to just explain that some people are christian (catholic, protestant etc) and their big holiday is christmas. And some people are Muslim and their big holiday is Eid and still others are Jewish (hanukah) or African (Kwanzaa). That sets a good foundation for the more complex ideas that will follow in the coming years.

And yes, as I understand, Muslims beleive in the whole Nativity story except for the christian idea that Jesus is "Son of God". The rest of the story is all the same between Islaam and Christianity.

Comment

^thnx Mamma always knows best.....

Comment

Working...
                              X