how do you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do you

safeguard kids against accidents and hazards at home so they do not die or anything?
    Heart in London. Mind in Lahore. Physically in Dubai. Loving it every millisecond.

Re: how do you

I have my 2 little ones and I have come to realize that I cannot always have my eyes on them. They can get into trouble in a blink of an eye. But I can prevent certain things.

For example, I keep hazardous chemicals, household cleaners, burning candles etc. out of reach. They have been instructed never to answer the door if I'm in the shower. In the summer, they are allowed to play in the front or back only if I am in one of the rooms that overlooks those areas.

We talk a lot about safety to our kids. The older one can understand but choti is still too young to completely understand consequences of possible accidents, so we as parents have to think on her behalf.

However, mishaps still happen. Sometimes we can't think of each and every bad thing. May Allah keep us all in his protection.
    Don't be hurtin' and hatin' cuz my phone is so cool!

Comment

u do know why i asked this question dont u?
      Heart in London. Mind in Lahore. Physically in Dubai. Loving it every millisecond.

Comment

^ you're having a kid?
        Life is like a game of cards. The hand you are dealt is determinism; the way you play it is free will.
        - Nehru

Comment

no actually my two year old cousin died after falling from the stairs two days back..

Comment

Originally posted by Aisha dubaiwali View Post
            no actually my two year old cousin died after falling from the stairs two days back..
            Inna lillah wa inna elaihi rajioon

Comment

omg...inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi rajioon....very sorry to hear that Aisha. May Allah give his family sabr and strength to get through this difficult time, Ameen

Comment

sum ameen...

Comment

just make children aware of dangers around them and make them idependent at the same time, so when no one else is around they can do small things for them selves. and just try ur best to prevent dangers.....

Aisha sometimes even when ur extra careful things happen, everything is in God's hand, an u have to believe tht....

Comment

child-proofing homes can really put ones mind at ease, accidents can still happen but its better to cut the odds by doing the best we can to make our homes safe. there are so many products out there today which do that, totally worth the price and effort. im posting some:

Comment

they are very user friendly for you but not for your child, so it might look as if ur in a kiddy alert zone but sooooo worth it

Comment

aisha i'm so sorry for the loss of your young cousin because of the unfortunate fall. i hope that allah swt will heal your family's pain. i was so sorry to read about it, and i can not imagine the amount of pain her parents are going through.

niksik and wondergurl are right on about child-proofing. cant keep your eyes on them 24/7..so parents have to see the potential dangers in a home and take preventive measures. things happen in the blink of an eye, but a $80 stair gate and a $15 cabinet lock or $5 socket covers are not too high a price to pay for a child's safety. please, please, every parent or parent to be - child-proof your homes so you can prevent unfortunate accidents from taking place.
                        if you go crazy, yes i'll still call you superman

Comment

so sorry for your loss

I would also suggest baby proof your home even if it looks ugly - just do it for a couple for years.

Things to look out for:
                          Stairs - keep a baby gate on until they ate 3 and can walk/climb down the stairs. I would also suggest to carpet your stairs if you can.

Sharp Things: Anything like a knife, scissors, have to out of reach

Any chemicals, clorax, Bleach out of reach in a locked closet

Water - don't EVER leave kids in the bath tub unless you are not there. Kids can drown in a inch of water.
                          A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Comment

Aisha, I am SO very sorry to read of your loss. May she rest in peace surrounded by angels.

You know, I was always vigilant about child-proofing. Safety plugs in all of our outlets. To get them out, I'd have to sit on the floor and pick and pry for quite some time to get them out when I needed to plug something in. My little son when he was 2 used to just walk over to them, flick his finger and out it would pop.

I put my rose-pruning shears waaaaaaaaay on top of my laundry area on a shelf that was 5 feet up, over the washing machine. One morning when I was in the kitchen making breakfastfor the boys, 3 year old quietly gets laundry basket, climbs on top of washing machine and takes pruning shears. 4 year old brother wanted this fascinating tool and grabbed it by the hook-shaped sharp end. We took him to the ER and he got 6 stitches. This all happened in less than the time it takes to pour 2 bowls of fruit loops.

There was a story a few months back about a 4 year old who got one of those drive-able cars for his birthday. The parents got a visit from the local police at 3am - they had the little guy in tow. Apparently, the little one went out for a drive thru the streets of town in his little roadster! The cops said that he actually obeyed traffic signals!! The report is somewhere on you tube now.

I dont even want to get into all of the sad and tragic accidents that my sister sees...she is an RN in the pediatric intensive care unit of a nearby hospital.

Parents need to be vigilant for sure. But even so, accidents and tragedies are sadly a fact of life.

Comment

I am sorry to hear Aisha what happened to your cousin. Unfortunately we hear so many stories of accidents where it ends with death. Here are some of the safeguard measures that we take, of course anything can happen any time, we have to be so careful with kids and ther sur*****ngs and we should pray for them.

We have safty plugs in all our plugs that are close to the grounds.
                              We took away the chairs in our kitchen as it was next to the window. (we live on floor 3)
                              Of course we dont fully open the windows, just on the top, so that some air can come inside.
                              The chemicals are out of her reach and if ever she tries to touch something that is not for her, we tell her not to do so.
                              Read the instructions, some toys are not recommended for kids under 3.
                              Dont leave plastic bags, things that the kid can tie around his neck around for it to play with.

and ALLWAYs ALLWAYS keep on eye on the child, whatever u are doing. Dont assume that the kid know whats its doing, check on the kid from time to time and see the things that can be dangerous for the kid and get them out of the way or take mesures to prevent anythng from happening,.

Comment

Working...
                              X