Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the birds, the bees and the butterflies

..so when is the right time?

Is it important and do you feel that it's every parent's duty or it should be left on schools?

In UK, they are proposing to start sex education from age 5. is it too early? what you think is the right age then?

BBC NEWS | Education | Relationship lessons from age 5
    Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.

Re: the birds, the bees and the butterflies

Age 5

Personally I feel that a sensible and involved parent can tell when the child is ready.

I don't think we should run away from giving information but how much at what point is the key.
    Don't be hurtin' and hatin' cuz my phone is so cool!

Comment

I dont even have kids and Im so worried about this! In schools these days they teach kids about this at such a young age, with graphic pictures and demonstrations etc. I dont want discussion about sex to be taboo for my kids, but I want to teach them about it in a proper and modest way, that is correct according to Islamic teachings. I still have some time to work out a gameplan, but would love to hear how others with kids have handled this issue

Comment

Originally posted by Niksik View Post
        Age 5

Personally I feel that a sensible and involved parent can tell when the child is ready.

I don't think we should run away from giving information but how much at what point is the key.
        yup age 5. shocking isn't it.
        Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.

Comment

well if girls are getting pregnant at 9.. 5 is a good age huh...

sad.. but true.

i dont even wanna think bout it .. its so overwhelming.. i would rather the school teach in grade 8 or 9 like i learned myself.. and if i feel my child needs to know earlier than that.. i dont mind telling them about it.. but man.. 5... sad.
          standing alone on a street of broken dreams

Comment

They dont teach at age 5 all of the details of sex. Actually they dont teach sex ed at all until middle school and even then they need the parents written permission.

But I think its very important that the info comes from home. From mom and dad so that the kids are comfortable talking about whatever issues and questions they may have and talking about it with their parents.

I made a huge mistake very recently with my 6 year old who had questions about how a baby comes out of the tummy. I didnt answer well so he sought the answers from the playground so the "damage control" was so much more worse than if I had answered him better at the start.

I want a good, healthy and open relationship with my kids. I learned my lesson and will do better in the future to answer their questions until they're satisfied. No lies, no fairy tales, just answers.

Comment

Working...
            X