When should disciplining start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When should disciplining start?

When do you think parents should start instilling morals, values, for many religious beliefs, and self-esteem in their children.

Nowadays we see all sorts of examples, the toufani kids that u wish their parents had taught some manners to, or the kid who throws tantrums, some children refuse to do anything when forced. There are also the shy and quiet kids, but we do not really know what they are really made up of.

So what approach should parents take? How can they maintain a balance and most importantly make sure their child is secure.

If their is more than one child how can a parent teach them respect and equality towards each other and help them recognize that they are each going to be individuals and different.

Is "practice what you preach" the best way to go?
    Last edited by Krypton; Dec 3, 2008, 09:06 PM.

Re: When should disciplining start?

I start disciplining as soon as they start 'shaitaniyan'

Comment

When do you think parents should start instilling morals, values, for many religious beliefs, and self-esteem in their children.

From the minute they are born!

Comment

true what midnight eyes says... from the minute they are born.

my mom says even a newborn has some sense.. it knows to feed from its mouth and not its nose.. a toddler knows to put things in its mouth to taste them.. not its ears..

ofcourse dont be silly and start expectinga newborn to not cry when u tell it not to.. hehe.. but i hate parents that think their 1 yr old is too young to know any better... a child nkows when ure upset, angry and not happy... show them and u will be surprised at how much a child can understand at such an early age...

i have a friend who has a 2 yr old from hell.. she is waiting to discipline him once he grows up a bit.. when? once he is set in his ways?

all it took was a *beta dont touch that* and taking his hand away from the crystal decorations.. and he didnt touch them again... she was so surprised..
        standing alone on a street of broken dreams

Comment

Discipline shoulds start from birth, e.g. When the newborn baby cry's in the cot, and the Mum let's the baby cry(so baby get's used to not always being picked up), Other wise the baby will know how to get mummies attention by "crying for everything"

Comment

Originally posted by Colourful eyes View Post
            Discipline shoulds start from birth, e.g. When the newborn baby cry's in the cot, and the Mum let's the baby cry(so baby get's used to not always being picked up), Other wise the baby will know how to get mummies attention by "crying for everything"
            That's harsh.

Discipline should start from age 7 but stilling morals and all from birth.
            I'm quite illiterate, but I read a lot.

Comment

^babies brains are like sponges, mould them the right way from birth...

an plus first 5 years of a child are most important, if you give them no discipline until the age of 7, u think they will listen to u?

Comment

Originally posted by hareem01 View Post
                That's harsh.

Discipline should start from age 7 but stilling morals and all from birth.

ok when i say cry, i dont mean let the baby cry for hours on end.....

Comment

Bad Baby!

Im really curious to know how all of you discipline your children?

When did you start disciplining them?
                  Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames. ~ Rumi

Comment

Re: Bad Baby!

they ver naturally disciplined ...
                    Stay Present,
                    stay pleasant,
                    stay proud

Comment

Originally posted by PSquared View Post
                      Im really curious to know how all of you discipline your children?

When did you start disciplining them?
                      There's another thread about disciplining the kids...you can see that as well...

Islamically age of disciplining starts when kids reach the 7th year of their life before that you can only teach them by love ...
                      I'm quite illiterate, but I read a lot.

Comment

Re: Bad Baby!

You can start disciplining even before age 1!! When babies start teething, they may bite and really hurt mama. Remove baby from feeding, wait a minute and then start again. Repeat each time baby bites and they actually do learn not to bite.

When mine were toddlers, we used time-outs and taking a toy or privelege away for a certain amount of time. Thats how we discipline to this day and it works pretty nicely.

I cant imagine waiting till age 7 to start discipine - mine would be absolute monsters lol!! But I dont think the whole age 7 thing includes the type of discipline that we use.

Comment

PSSquared, I merged your thread with this one as it was started a little bit before yours.

Let's continue.
                          Don't be hurtin' and hatin' cuz my phone is so cool!

Comment

I started very early. Kids may not realize what you're up to but it is important to bring in a firm tone if you are trying to discipline them so they can distinguish between when you are casual and when you are serious. Eventually, they understand.

The other thing about discipline is that both parents should be on the same wavelength. They may not agree but in front of the kids they need to appear in harmony. So if I need to have a talk to my daughter about something I feel she should not have done, my husband either supports me by adding on or if he chooses, he remains quiet. In front of her, he shouldn't say your mom is overreacting etc... because the kid then gets a confusing message.
                            Don't be hurtin' and hatin' cuz my phone is so cool!

Comment

^ great advice people!

and what effect does hitting your kids have? - typical desi style -
                              And never take those killed in the way of Allah as dead. Rather, they are alive, with their Lord, well-provided, happy with what Allah has given them of His grace [Al-Imran, v169]

Comment

Working...
                              X