built in microwaves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

built in microwaves

The outside rim of the microwave that came with our house is coming off. In fact it is cracked at one point. I need to replace it. How does one go about doing that? I don't think we have a warranty on that and the microwave works great. It's just the rim that needs replacement. Maybe google the company and order it ?
    Don't be hurtin' and hatin' cuz my phone is so cool!

Re: built in microwaves

It's not worth it to replace the rim; just go on to your local craigslist and you'll see tons of people selling nice microwaves...sometimes there are even some in the 'free' section.

Comment

But then I would have to reinstall the entire thing into the wall space above my stove. This is a built in microwave.

Comment

Yes try the first option the company should be able to send you replacement parts they are cheaper than most people think. Specially if some appliance is older than 3 years. I have done it with many appliances many times. They would even guide you identify the right part, it is important that they know the right part otherwise you would end up with wrong one that happened to me the first time I tried to order replacement parts of a grill.
        Fools never disagree.

Comment

I will do that Mirch. This home is only 3 years old. Looks like they put in some crappy appliances

Comment

appliances that come from the builder are usually mid to low range when it comes to quality......at least that's what I've always found.

if you ever have the option to decline and budget to purchase your own, do so. negotiate with the builder to apply a discount or select an alternative upgrade in the amount that they claim the appliances are worth.

this will accomplish two things.....

1. provide you with a much more realistic insight into the actual cost of the appliances they are giving you and
            2. allow you to select an upgrade that you otherwise would not be able to afford after the house is built, for example wall niches or full glass or double shower stalls or upgraded hardword floors. (the cost of these upgrades are such that doing them after the fact is not something we easily undertake.)

Comment

Good tips Muzna. We are renting this home which is otherwise very nice but the owner realized soon enough that the appliances were average.

Comment

We were renting an apartment before we bought this home and yes the rim on that microwave got cracked too. Although we were not using it , because it was small and did not have rotating base inside. So we were using our own bigger and better microwave. But the heat from the stoves below made it crack. When it got cracked we notified the management of the Apartment complex to make sure that we do not end up paying for a new microwave when we leave.

The home we bought about three years ago came with what they call gourmet kitchen. All appliances are GE profile. In fact my wife fell in love with this house from the lot because of the kitchen.
                Fools never disagree.

Comment

Mirch, isnt GE getting out of appliance business? i heard it and am concerned cuz my place has all GE profile stuff as well with the exception of the hood which is a Zephyr that I installed afterwards.

lets see who buys it and what happens in terms of parts and service etc.
                  Your friendly neighbourhood fraudiya loafer luccha lufanga awara ayaash aubaash ghunda badmaash man

Comment

They are not closing it they want to sell it or spin it off so all good there. It is a strong consumer brand they would not want to just close it one day.
                    Fools never disagree.

Comment

I did not say close, but i said exiting. so yeah they will spin it off or sell it, and that can have an impact on service as well as parts availability etc for later.

I suppose by the time things clonk out, you probably would want to get new appliances anyways. but just in case u know

I know begum prays often that our dishwashrer dies so she can get the fisher paykal that she wants
                      Your friendly neighbourhood fraudiya loafer luccha lufanga awara ayaash aubaash ghunda badmaash man

Comment

I know , I have to keep my wife in check when it comes to change of appliances and furniture. Wives have a short tolerance level when it comes to furniture, appliances , pots and pans , clothes and jewelry.
                        Allah ka shukar hay most wives have lifetime tolerance level for husbands, warna bohat mushkil ho jatee.
                        Fools never disagree.

Comment

Working...
                        X