Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with dish

Hi Guys

I have cooked two separate dishes now and my husband has complained that the dish is too sweet...

I made bonless chicken and karahi gosth..

what could the reason for this dish to be sweet be?

Is it 2 much onions, or tomatos?

Ive recently started using a different make of can of tomatos so im guessing its that, before I never had this problem and Im cooking the same way..

pls help

Re: Problem with dish

taste the tomatoes, are they sweet?

Comment

I think it is the tomatoes.
      Heart in London. Mind in Lahore. Physically in Dubai. Loving it every millisecond.

Comment

yes,i think it is because of the tomatoes..
        Success starts with beginning...

Comment

It could also be the type of onions you're using. Vidalia onions are very sweet, you can actually eat them like an apple! They are the larger onions in the grocery stores. The smaller yellow onions have the right oniony taste that you need for cooking.

Comment

Thanks guys....im thinking to try making the dish again with the old tomato cans I used to use...

Mama of 3, you may be right...im using the normal white onions...but the ones I used in the gosth were relatively big...maybe they r sweet?

I need to try each way and see what it is..

Thanks a lot for your help

A question though is, is it possible to make a dish sweet by using too many onions or too many tomatos?

I try and use a lot to make a lot of masala....so in 1lb chicken I use 3 onions and 3 tomatos....in the past its been fine...but dnt knw what went wrong this time

Comment

onion..
              too much onion makes the dish sweet. until you dont use much spices, but still i belive onion makes the taste sweet.

Comment

Please don't blame the tomatoes....It's the Canned tomato 'paste' you are using which is too sweet and just not good. If you really have to use canned tomato then use tomato sauce instead, it doesn't taste as sweet.

Comment

Hi, its not paste.

Its canned plum tomatos and everyone in UK uses them.....maybe not this make though! because its messed up my dishes!!!

Comment

was it chopped tomatoes in a can? or some sort of sauce? normally other flavorings are added to make the tastes more intense so you have to use less. I think it's better to use fresh tomatoes, they can never taste bad.

Comment

Tabu, too much onions can make a dish sweet so check your onions as well.
                      I love children and old people. Its everyone in between I can't stand - Don Imus

Comment

Working...
                      X