query about non-stick pans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

query about non-stick pans

i have some non-stick pans...and because of much usage their black coating has gone...and the bottom silver is much obvious...r they still ok to use? any harms associated?

Re: query about non-stick pans

your not supposed to use metal spoons or metal flippers/stirrers, they scratch off the non-stick coating. You must use a plastic heat resistant one.

Anyway to your point on ill effects:

How safe are non-stick coatings?
    You may be aware of reports suggesting that some non-stick surfaces – for example, Teflon – give off harmful chemicals.

It’s true that chemicals such as trifluoroacetic acid (TFA) can be given off by some coatings at extremely high temperatures. But it’s unlikely to happen during normal cooking: whatever is in your pan will be burnt and smoking well before the temperature is high enough for the coating to decompose significantly – your whole pan would be ruined. So that makes another reason not to leave pans on high heat or unattended.

Research hasn't indicated harmful long-term effects of TFA on people. At this stage there's no evidence that non-stick cooking poses a safety risk, though some manufacturers suggest you keep pet birds out of the kitchen area because they have very sensitive respiratory systems and can be affected by many types of household fumes, not just the remote possibility of TFA.

As for the safety of eating any bits of peeling non-stick coating, they simply travel straight through you with no ill effects.
    source: http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle...ans+(archived)
    Last edited by nadeemnirvana; Dec 1, 2008, 09:21 AM.

Comment

I had this question so I googled it and I was surprised to know the answer. Yes the quoting if ingested is not good for humans. So it is better to throw them and buy new ones.
      The best advice is to buy stainless steel kind of pots and pans , they are expensive to buy but will last longer than those so called non stick kind in the end you will save money because the non stick quoting goes away after one or two years of use. I guess they are not made to withstand desi style of cooking and desi mirch masala.
      Fools never disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by nadeemnirvana View Post
        your not supposed to use metal spoons or metal flippers/stirrers, they scratch off the non-stick coating
        Between me and my wife we do not use metal flippers/stirrers , spoons , spatulas but the quoting still starts to scratch away. We are switching to Stainless steel kind of pots and pans now.
        One more clarification not to show off but to provide the accurate information that we did not buy the cheap non stick pots and pans we spent a fortune on them.

The only advantage I see is that they are easy to wash and clean.
        Fools never disagree.

Comment

^^ agreed yes stainless steel will last longer, even lifetimes.

But some things are so easy to cook on a nonstick pan with little or no oil, such as fried eggs, pancakes, stir fries. And the pan virtually cleans itself. sometimes I wipe the pan with peice of bread and its clean.

Comment

nadeem u didnt follow me what my question was..

mirch....we spent a lot of money on buying these and after 4 yrs i am facing this problem...so cheap or expensive is out of question ...anyhow i wud switch to steel now...

Comment

^^ buddy your non-stick pan has lost its coating and turned into a stainless steel pan.

save your money and keep using it.

Comment

Which company did you guys buy them from?? I really don't understand how your non-stick cookware is scratched. I only use non-stick and use them every single day(been using for 2 years) and not a scratch. There are some very simple ways to care for them. If they're scratched then throw them away immediately, they're not safe to use anymore.

Comment

nadeem now u follow

currupt i dont remember the company now becz its been 4 yrs now and i bought the complete set like 4-5 u know that it comes like this...but why is it not safe to use? i dont know where do i throw them

Comment

Originally posted by nadeemnirvana View Post
                    ^^ buddy your non-stick pan has lost its coating and turned into a stainless steel pan.

save your money and keep using it.
                    They are not safe to use after they scratch , because the non stick quoting starts to get mixed in your food. They are made of aluminum not stainless steel.
                    So bad idea.

Originally posted by CurruptAngel View Post
                    Which company did you guys buy them from?? I really don't understand how your non-stick cookware is scratched. I only use non-stick and use them every single day(been using for 2 years) and not a scratch. There are some very simple ways to care for them. If they're scratched then throw them away immediately, they're not safe to use anymore.
                    Yes they last you two to 4 years max , stainless steel kind will last forever.
                    Fools never disagree.

Comment

get anodized stuff. calphalon would be a good thing.

and while jury os somehwat out on real dangers of teflon coating coming off..i would still avoid it
                      Your friendly neighbourhood fraudiya loafer luccha lufanga awara ayaash aubaash ghunda badmaash man

Comment

Originally posted by Mirch View Post

Yes they last you two to 4 years max , stainless steel kind will last forever.
                        My aunt has been using her nonstick cookware for over 10 years and they're still good. It's only a matter of how to care for them because they can easily get scratched but not if you're careful.

I agree with X2, hard anodized nonstick is really good. I've had no complaints whatsoever. It's a little on the heavy side but very durable.

Comment

I had a calphalon sauce pan (the one with the enamel coating i think) i used only for chai or sometimes to make milk based desserts. And i was very careful with it as in using a wooden spoon to stir or not immerse in cold water if its hot etc etc. BUt it still got ruined after less than a year

my mom on the other hand has the hard anodized one by calphalon and so far its working out great for her.
                          I love children and old people. Its everyone in between I can't stand - Don Imus

Comment

most (if not all) non-stick pans are made of aluminum. aluminum is not good for health. stainless steel pans are much better for your health...the only problem is that while cooking you have to be extra cautious as food can get stuck/burn easily.

Comment

The only advantage I see is that they are easy to wash and clean.

Stainless steel is fairly easy to clean as well, I never have any problems with it

Comment

Working...
                              X