ricotta cheese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ricotta cheese

Whenever I buy ricotta cheese for lasagna, there is always so much left over. I keep it in the fridge thinking I'll use it for something, but never know for what and then end up just tossing it, and I hate tossing perfectly good food out!! So any ideas, what can I use it for?

Re: ricotta cheese

you can make ricotta cheese pie..
    Success starts with beginning...

Comment

ras malai
      Your friendly neighbourhood fraudiya loafer luccha lufanga awara ayaash aubaash ghunda badmaash man

Comment

Would it taste good if i mixed it with spinach and baked inside a puff pastry

If not, I will just make manicotti

Comment

found this recipe for lemon peel ricotta creme.. sounds good and easy

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:
          • 1/2 c part-skim ricotta cheese
          • 1/4 tsp grated lemon peel
          • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
          • 1 pkg sugar substitute
          Preparation:

Mix together the ricotta cheese, lemon peel, vanilla extract, and sugar substitute. Serve chilled.

Yield: 1 serving </H3>Lemon Peel Ricotta Creme Recipe - South Beach Diet Phase 1
          it's the heart afraid of dying, that never learns to dance; It's the dream afraid of waking, that never takes the chance; It's the one who won't be taken, who cannot seem to give; And the soul afraid of dying, that never learns to live.

Comment

Originally posted by midnighteyes View Post
            Whenever I buy ricotta cheese for lasagna, there is always so much left over. I keep it in the fridge thinking I'll use it for something, but never know for what and then end up just tossing it, and I hate tossing perfectly good food out!! So any ideas, what can I use it for?
            Yummaayyyy.

You can use it as a substitute for "Khhoyaa" in any dish (sweets or anything). I just eat the left over . Guilty Pleasure.
            Don't believe a word I say

Comment

how do u use ricotta cheese for lasagne? i use mozzarella for my lasagne...only at the top!

Comment

Traditionally, there are layers of ricotta chess in the lasagna also. Its a bed of sauce, a layer of noodles, spread with ricotta mixture, layer some sauce, top with shredded mozzarella. Repeat the layers till the pan is full almost to the top.

BTW, you can freeze ricotta cheese and re-use for up to 3 or 4 months, thats what I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamaof3 View Post
                  Traditionally, there are layers of ricotta chess in the lasagna also. Its a bed of sauce, a layer of noodles, spread with ricotta mixture, layer some sauce, top with shredded mozzarella. Repeat the layers till the pan is full almost to the top.

BTW, you can freeze ricotta cheese and re-use for up to 3 or 4 months, thats what I do.
                  Oh! I never knew you could freeze it and reuse! Thanks Mamaof3!

Ya I make my lasagna layers similarly, first sauce, then noodles, then sauce, then mozzarella cheese, then noodles, then ricotta cheese, then sauce, then noodles, then sauce again, then last layer of mozarella --so easy and oh so yum!!

Comment

Originally posted by InToXiCaTeD View Post
                    Yummaayyyy.

You can use it as a substitute for "Khhoyaa" in any dish (sweets or anything). I just eat the left over . Guilty Pleasure.
                    Has anyone ever tried using ricotta as a subsitute for Khoya...???

I cant find khoya here...I use those Khoya peras but they are really sweet...I was just going to open up a thread for Khoya...

Comment

Originally posted by alishaht View Post

I cant find khoya here...I use those Khoya peras but they are really sweet...I was just going to open up a thread for Khoya...
                      I always do, as Khoya is not available here. Besides, its on most of the "desi cooking websites" to use ricotta cheese if you cant find khoya. Its a bit salty just like khoya.

Or may be you could ask people you buys those peraas from, if they had pure khoya (without sugar and other stuff).
                      Don't believe a word I say

Comment

Originally posted by alishaht View Post

I use ricotta in making of gajar ka halwa or loki ka halwa as a substitute of khoya, also use ricotta in bake egg halwa. It turns out great.
                        WE NEED BLESSINGS OF ALLAH.

Comment

i make qalaqand from ricotta..(kalakand)

Comment

Thanks!
                            I got this cheese that says Italian Ricotta....I find it to be a little soft and whiter compared to Khoya...do I have the right thing?

Comment

wow...its gr8 to know that ricotta can be used instead of khoya...next time i wud try this...

Comment

Working...
                              X