Pashmina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pashmina

My son ruined my new Pashmina shawl that my father gave me on his visit here...
    He spilled milk on the tiles and was trying to clean it up before I saw it. Alas, the first thing he saw at that moment was my precious shawl and now its all daagh-daar.

What should I do, shall I send it for drycleaning, or put it in the machine or handwash it?
    The best loved by God are those that are rich, yet have the humility of the poor, and those that are poor and have the magnanimity of the rich.

Saadi Sherazi

Re: Pashmina

DO NOT PUT IT IN THE WASHING MACHINE!!! i did that to mine and its [email protected]!!!
    ~*~*~Hum Kisi Ka Bhi Dil Torr De
    Kisko Aadhe Raste Mein Chorr De
    To Usko Bhi Duniya Kehti Hai Ada~*~*~

Comment

get it dry cleaned or get thet dryel thing and do it yourself
      One day I woke up and found myself famous....

Comment

Hand wash it please. Do not take it anywhere near drycleaning solvents.

I have antique Shahtoosh shawls handed down from generations and I took them to a museum textile conservator in NYC for advice on restoration of the weave and cleaning. His advice... handwash in woolite in cold water, swirl it around in the suds, and then in clean water, do not rub and do not wring, have someone help you hold all four corners and without stretching the shape, gently flap the shawl until it dries (this helps the yarn bounce back into shape).

Comment

Mogra you have a shahtoos- u are lucky!!!
          Zara phir say kehna-

Comment

what's a shahtoosh?

Comment

Sadaf: When i was visiting my sil in california in Dec. I was carrying her 1 year old while they went to take a ride at the universal studios. The son vomited all over me and my pashmina. I can't tell you how i was screaming standing in the waiting room coz i had no idea how to handle the kid or what to do with all the vomit that was in my hair and all over me.

Khair, I took the shawl to a drycleaner and he told me that it would be best if i handwashed it and i did exactly what mogra has described and thanks to Allah my shawl is as n ew.
              Allah is Watching........

Comment

Thanks for the replies
                Okay I am going to hand wash it now

you people are a great help
                The best loved by God are those that are rich, yet have the humility of the poor, and those that are poor and have the magnanimity of the rich.

Saadi Sherazi

Comment

if its milk wash in cold/ tepid water.. hot water will cook it onto the fibre with a special wool soap

and then make up a solution of hair conditioner and warm water.. soak it for a few mins and then rinse...

this makes it soft

and then dry as Mograkali said
                  May your every wish be granted...
                  Ancient chinese curse

Comment

Originally posted by smilestar
                    what's a shahtoosh?
                    something these girls shouldnt be wearing :nono3:

http://www.traffic.org/shahtoosh/
                    Q. What do you get from a pampered cow?
                    A. Spoiled milk.

Comment

Originally posted by Barfee
                      something these girls shouldnt be wearing :nono3:

http://www.traffic.org/shahtoosh/
                      I agree Barfee. Shahtoosh is a prohibhited trade and export item in many countries and spells the end for the endangered Tibetan Antelope.

My shawls are very old.. one of them is over 175 years old, the others are about a century old... and have come down to me through the generations. It is upto me to take care of them and preserve thier beauty because they are a part of my cultural heritage.

I would never buy one today.

Comment

Originally posted by Mograkali
                        one of them is over 175 years old, the others are about a century old... and have come down to me through the generations..

WOW!!!

Saadi Sherazi

Comment

We know that one is over 175 years old because we have a painted picture of my great (make that a whole bunch of greats) grandmother wearing the shawl. It was in her wedding dowry and the painted picture shows all her dowry and jewelley displayed around her. My great (multiplied n times)grandmothers name is at the bottom of the picture. She looks little more than 12-13 and looks somewhat lost. Also in the picture are some weird things like huge kitchen utensils and in the background are the figures of a woman and 2 children and a ghoda gadi. I wonder if the woman and kids were part of her dowry... sort of like a maid and helpers.. who knows. I guess in the days before photography this was a sort of record keeping!

The museum textile conservator also agreed with the age of the shawl based on the weave and dye and embroidery. The others are more recent... about 100 years old and the names of the owners (other great grandmothers in the family) had thier names embroidered on them, so it was easier to date them.

Comment

this is a horrid thing to say

but I want one...

I aboslutly cringe at the idea of wearing fur...

but these pashminas look lovely
                            May your every wish be granted...
                            Ancient chinese curse

Comment

Originally posted by Mograkali
                              I agree Barfee. Shahtoosh is a prohibhited trade and export item in many countries and spells the end for the endangered Tibetan Antelope.

My shawls are very old.. one of them is over 175 years old, the others are about a century old... and have come down to me through the generations. It is upto me to take care of them and preserve thier beauty because they are a part of my cultural heritage.

I would never buy one today.
                              I am just jealous and i hate to admit it
                              Q. What do you get from a pampered cow?
                              A. Spoiled milk.

Comment

Working...
                              X