Haleem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haleem

mmm... turned out great... mommy helped so i guess she gets one sticky star too..

a) 1/2 kg Ghenoo, or gehoo or whatever they are called (make sure u use full grains and not broken ones)

b) 1 mug of rice, peeli daal, and maash daal (equal amounts- COMBINED)

c) 1/2 cup channa daal

soak a b and c seperately overnight.

For Korma:

- 1 1/2 kg boneless meat (can use boned meat too but it gets icky tryin to pick the meat off the bones later on) chicken can also be used.

-2 BIG oinons, finely sliced

-1 tbsp Ginger and garlic paste

-2 tbsp red chilli powder

-1 1/2 tbsp dhanya powder

-1 tsp haldi

-1 tbsp salt

-1 tbsp garam masala powder

- pinch of jaifel (nutmeg) and javitri (i looked up javitri, it's mace ) and elaichi powder

- 1 1/2 pack of yoghurt (around 400 grams).

Mix all ingredients in yoghurt except for the onions and ginger and garlic paste.

In a cooking pot, add enough oil to fry the onions until light golden brown. Take some oil out after doing the bhagaar for later use.

Now add the meat and ginger and garlic paste and cook until all water has evaporated. Then add yoghurt with all its spices and cook for bout 3 mins. Add more water so that the meat is cooked until its totally tender. Mash with a heavy cookin spoon so that the meat is totally shredded up. Dont try to evaporate the gravy no matter how watery it is, that will be taken care of later.
    DO NOT USE A BLENDER TO SHRED THE MEAT.. we dont want a paste!! there should be shreds of meat...

akay

Preparing the Lentils

-1 tsp red chilli powder
    -1/4 tsp haldi
    -1 tsp salt

Take the gehnoo and put in a very large cookin pot. Add all the spices with around 8 mugs of water. Cook on high heat until water is bubbling. Then lower the heat to low and let them cook until grains are beyond tender, should be able to break them with no pressure. DO NOT TRY TO MASH THE GRAINS BEFORE THIS STAGE HAS BEEN REACHED!! some ppl start the mashing when the grains are a bit tender.. that is a no no.. only start the mashing when the grains are very tender.

(part 2) In a seperate pot, boil rice/mash daal/yellow daal and channa daal in around 2 mugs water until grains are again, totally tender.. mash.

NOW... add your korma and (part2) to the gehnoo pot.... start cookign and mashing so that the grains arent very chunky (but dont make a paste out of it either)... cook and cook until the haleem is the right consistency.. not too thick and not too liquidy...

GARNISHING: top with chopped ginger, lemon juice, fried onions, fresh mint leaves and some of that oil you saved from the initial bhagaar

P.S) if Shaan haleem mix is being used, to the grains, you add 1/2 cup gehnoo and 1/4 cup channa daal. And to its spice pack, you add 1 tsp red chilli powder and 1/2 tsp garam masala.

i know it seems like a LOT.. but once u get started.. it so easy!!

i hate mint in my haleem, and didnt add any extra oil.. so none in my plate

i was an ass.. was eating kinoo with my food.. so was carrying keeno peels in one hand and the empty plate in the other... threw plate in the dustbin and put peels in the sink :s ... the inner dustbin had been taken out for washing soooo... the plate landed on the bare floor and toot gayi...
    standing alone on a street of broken dreams

Re: Haleem

hehe.....I cook haleem exactly the same ratio (lentils, wheat etc.)
    And i agree it sounds a lot of work but really isn't.

becharee plate .....I think it was even better to post the scene of 'izzat afzaai' from mom ...rather than the broken plate

Comment

yummy
      I wanna eat haleem to
      The best loved by God are those that are rich, yet have the humility of the poor, and those that are poor and have the magnanimity of the rich.

Saadi Sherazi

Comment

That looks insanly good, I've never had haleem. Sighs.

Is Ghenoo sold in desi stores?

Comment

*slirrrp* U all are making me so hungaburry

@plate. Han us din mai nay bhi ganday forks fridge mei rakh diyay thay aur cake sink mie phaink ayi thie
          **Chindakha pa lotay okhata, no wai chay: "Yera kabul may okatho!!"**

Comment

Afia: khekhe... what mommy doesnt know wont hurt her

belle: yup.. they are... you may even find it in non desi stores aswell.. i know in Canada you can...

DB:

Comment

Originally posted by belle
              That looks insanly good, I've never had haleem. Sighs.

Is Ghenoo sold in desi stores?
              I am sure you already know this but ghenoo is actually wheat. I hope thats the right word for it.
              I love children and old people. Its everyone in between I can't stand - Don Imus

Comment

khawateen,

I give you 3 out of 4 stars. I am deducting one for mentioning 'shan masala'.

Comment

Originally posted by Ira
                  I am sure you already know this but ghenoo is actually wheat. I hope thats the right word for it.
                  I had no idea actully, I asked my mom and she had no idea what I was saying. My plan was to write it on paper and take it to the desi shop. Teheh.

Comment

mujhe haleem itni naye pasand lekin khawa ki haleem looks im gonna take that recipe - it had better be authentic delhi wali haleem khawa!!
                    A samurai bares no sign of weakness, even when dying of hunger.

Comment

Yummmmyyyyyy

Ittefaaq se meri mama ne bhie haleem banaaai hai aaaaaaaaaaaj
                      I had 3 plates already

I like mine with harray pyaaz, dhaniya, podina, fried pyaaz and lots of lemon
                      "... te hun gall aithe mukdi!"

Comment

Belle: it could either be wheat, or wheatmeal... :s

LI: you only had 3 stars to begin with :-|

Catty: u sure u want authentic delhi haleem??? add the secret ingredient then.. TONGUE

Shinz: oo.. green onions.. should try them with haleem... mmmmm

Comment

this looks soo complicated khaw!!
                          22.1 . O mankind! Fear your Lord . Lo! the earthquake of the Hour ( of Doom ) is a tremendous thing .

Comment

i think Ghenoo is called

Pearl barley
                            May your every wish be granted...
                            Ancient chinese curse

Comment

Hinz: no no.. it just looks that way cuz its a lot of info and ingredients and parts.. but once u start.. its sooo easy! u can get the gehnoo giong on their own on slow heat... the daal in another pot which cooks itself.. its only the korma u'll havta stay around in the kitchen for... honestly... its easy once u get started

Comment

Working...
                              X