training for a half-marathon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

training for a half-marathon

just curious.. has anyone here trained for a half-marathon before? i've been looking at plans and whatnot but i thought getting some personal advice would be great too. any advice would be great!
    "i myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."

Re: training for a half-marathon

Why must you make me jealous !

What do you want to know? Do you currently run/train on a regular basis?

This site has some useful info

http://http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/half-marathon-essential-qandampas/3020.html
    “Condemn me, it does not matter, history will absolve me.” Fidel Castro

Comment

I haven't run a half marathon, but did a 10 mile 2 yrs ago. Try Jeff Galloway'sbook on running. It's tailored towards people who've never run before. his website here
      There is no one like me. There's only me.

Comment

i has run some half marathons and am currently trying to run a full in spring '12. (i just ran 16 miles last saturday -_-)

half marathons are a good distance coz even a beginner can train for one in 4 months and enjoy the race, but at the same time the distance is long enough to make all the non-runners think you are super-human. if you are already in running shape, you could do a decent race on as little as 6-8 weeks of training.

if you let us know what your current running level is, and when your target race is, and how much time you want to spend a week on it, i could provide you with some input.
        Simple ain't easy.

Comment

^ Dont trust a guy with broken English...

Runners worls obviuously is a great place to look into.

Just some general suggestions:

A good strong house needs a strong foundation - so does a good runner. you build a strong foundation by building up your stamina (aerobic running). You do this by running slow and long distances - of course long being a relative term.

if you are a beginner, start the 1st week as follows:
          week 1 4 days a week - say 2 miles a day 3 days rest

week 2 5 days a wek say 2 miles a day 2 days rest
          then week 3, 4 5 days a week 3 miles a day
          week 4,5 5 days a week 3.5 miles a day

week 6,7 5 days a week 4 miles a day

You dont have to run same miles each day, do less one day and more the other.

By week 8, you are ready to do one long run - say 8 miles.

Week 9-12 - 20-25 miles/week
          At least one day a week, do what they call fartlek training - just do what feels good - run hard, jog, run hard, vary your pace - mix it up.

you can scale back per your needs - but you get the picture.

After 4 months, you are ready for some interval training.
          Why isn't the Dividend story among the featured threads?

Comment

the wife chimed in and said it is better to go say 10 12 10 14 12 16 14 18 miles each week rather than progressively increasing weekly miles
            Why isn't the Dividend story among the featured threads?

Comment

thanks so much for your help, everyone!

right now i'm running around five miles a day, usually three or four days a week.

another question? do you think it'll be problematic to run inside on a treadmill this winter? i know it's monotonous but now that there's snow on the ground, i cant breathe at all when i run outside!
              "i myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."

Comment

I think more than being monotonous a treadmill is not an accurate representation of what it's like to run outside. I use the treadmill pretty much everyday and although I change up the inclines and speeds to push myself, every time I go for a run outside I feel sore the next day. I think this has to do with the fact that a treadmill actually propels you along whereas on the ground you have to provide your own momentum. If you have no other option then training on a treadmill its better than doing nothing at all but I don't think it will prepare you well enough for a real marathon outdoors. Factors such as varied terrain, wind resistance, etc will not be present running on a treadmill. A good compromise might be to train outdoor some of the time and do the rest on a treadmill indoors.

Comment

U cud also look at doing some time on the static bike to empower ur lower body muscles.....particularly handyb when the weather is bad outside and u wish to train indoors.....
                  If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.

Comment

Working...
                  X