Kids and No TV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kids and No TV?

I don't know where to put this as we don't have a babies/kid's forum ?

Yesterday we were invited to a playdate to my daughter's nursary friend. So after nursery we go to their place togther, the kid(boy) mashallah is quite intelligent and talks like a big boy, he will be 3 this month.

Anyway the kid has his own room with lots of toys, educational books, boards and stuff. The TV in the living area was in a closed shelve and the parents only watch News after he is sleep.

So I was thinking is no tv for kids such a good idea, the mother plays with the boy in his room, but also need to do work and then he is alone.

I let my daughter watch the cartoon channel as its amusing for her and I think TV to some extend is not bad.

So what do you all think of NO TV for kids, is he missing something?

imagine the plight of that kid! sometimes parents can b so overly controlling!!! they shouldnt ban tv altogether for the kid. he shud b able to watch cartoons and educational stuff for kids. but i guess the parents consider this normal since, as you said, they themselves only watch news after he sleeps... they sound freaky!! Saadia, I was just laughin while readin ur post... u had earlier started a thread abt a woman giftin your daughter a pregnant doll and now this! i wonder why u always end up with weird ppl.... hehehehe!

Comment

Re: Kids and No TV?

mall haha I know have I already told you about the russian lady whose kid is also in the nursery and she wants to be friends with me and once I had to go to her kid's birthday, as she insisted till I yes I will come, it was a total torture for me and I got sick afterwards! (I will leave out the details)

Its ppl I am serious who allways want to meet us (daugther and I) and I hate to say no but now I am doing just that!

No but the parents mentioned who dont let the kid watch TV are educated one, its just they have other method of raising a child and think its best for him.
      Lately he is getting a bit voilent, he was hugging my daughter and she was like crying no no, and he even grabbed her hair, thats when I said, I have to go and the mom was very angry with her son.

Comment

These days a lot of educational programmes are being aired especially made for kids. Even Dora is educational and fun to watch for children. I see lot's of kids here who've picked up on language, counting etc just by watching tv. Ofcourse don't put your kid in front of the tv for hours on end just so u can get your work done. IMO a few programmes a day where they can learn from is not a bad thing at all!
        "... te hun gall aithe mukdi!"

Comment

wasn't it you who opened a thread on Spongebob ? haha i think what the mother is doing is right, i mean the kid is a KID, he doesn't know the 'fun' side of watching tv, so he's not missing out on anything i say!
          And never take those killed in the way of Allah as dead. Rather, they are alive, with their Lord, well-provided, happy with what Allah has given them of His grace [Al-Imran, v169]

Comment

Well I want to hear different views / opinions. I am not saying that she is doing wrong or right. Its just is no TV at all - the solution?

Yes I did open the spongebob thread any problem.

And was it you that opened that that ......... cricket wala thread.

Comment

Well did the mother say she does not allow her son to watch any tv at all? I know the birthing class I took and the one my Sister in law just took both taught that it's best not to allow kids up to 2 years of age to watch tv at all....that's what they recommend. Aside from the fact that its bad for the eyes, I forget exact words, but that it dulls the brain....and they just watch tv like zombies. It better to have interaction with them, learning/playing.outside if possible etc. However I do agree there are good shows on tv like PBS kids...and some educational shows like little einsteins, dora etc. Also parents can buy dvd's of good stuff and allow child to watch that for an hour a day maybe.

Comment

Oh and for the kid being a bit violent (sorry if i misquoted)...there cold be other reasons...is he only child and used to getting what he wants?
                Remember back in the days, some of our parents didnt even have tv, all these extra toys etc...but most of us turned out pretty good & normal As long parents are spending good quality time with their children, I think they will be alright. But yeah some tv is good

Comment

Ya, I know a few parents who have similar rules for their children, no TV except maybe for fun educational DVDs they select for them. I dont think they are missing anything. These days there is so much junk on TV anyways, even commercials, so I can understand the parents' concern. Children spend WAY too much time glued to the tube anyways, many parents do not limit or monitor their watching at all, which can be dangerous. At the very least, I think its good for parents to have controls set for how much time kids spend in front of the TV and to monitor what types of shows they are watching, and make sure they are spending enough time doing other more beneficial activities, like playing outside, reading books, spending time with family etc.

Comment

Saadia, having 2 kids of my own, I have realized that overdiscipline can cause more harm than good, can induce a rebellious spirit and unnecessary curiosity.

TV has some great programs to offer. In fact my daughters have learned application of creativity from shows like the Goodnight Show on PBS Sprout for example. They both sit together with their craft sets and follow instructions on making something new. Their TV time and viewing channels are definitely controlled by us but I believe TV is not all bad as it is sometimes made out to be.

That balance is provided by the parents. We make sure to play with our children, read to them, etc. as well.
                    Don't be hurtin' and hatin' cuz my phone is so cool!

Comment

hmm. dont have my own yet.. but definately wont be watching disney, nickdon or cartoon netword... cartoons have gone down the dump in recent yrs.. nothing worthwhile watching..

but.. i would encourage watching educational programs directed towards kids to help in learning and just have fun.. but i wont make it a big part of their daily lives.. id rather they be outside and doing being active and learning at the same time rather than passive entertainment.
                      standing alone on a street of broken dreams

Comment

Like Afrosheen mentioned i have also heard that watching too much tv may not be good for the kids before age 2. I dont know what i would be doing with our kids but i hope to instill in them love for reading like i used to do. Although, we dont have cable or anything and i havent seen any kids program on local channels except cartoons on weekends, so i am not sure what our kids would even watch on tv.

I personally dont think they are hurting their child. I have seen other people who let their kids watch tv khullam khulla and now the kid wouldnt let others in the house touch the thing because he wants to watch cartoons on it all day long. Sigh. I hope i will be a good parent to find and instill a good balance.
                        I love children and old people. Its everyone in between I can't stand - Don Imus

Comment

Some of what they show on Cbeebies is educational, but only some of it. My fav is Balamory. I remember the day I saw the lass in the wheelchair in the City Centre...I was like completely star struck!
                          OMG Paki!

Comment

Thanks all for your input.

We have reflected on how much TV my kid is watching and well its not much but it can be lesser too.

We somehow let her watch some cartoon in the morning during we would be getting ready, now from today it not allowed, she did cry that we didnt let her but its better for her in the long term as when she will have to go to school and get up early and do her work herself. I will allow her to watch some cartoon, the kids channel during afteroon, maybe 1-2 hours and the good thing is that she is not glued to the TV but is actually doing other things and watching TV whenever something 'good' in her eyes comes and then she runs to watch it.

Comment

Originally posted by Afro-Sheen View Post
                              Oh and for the kid being a bit violent (sorry if i misquoted)...there cold be other reasons...is he only child and used to getting what he wants?
                              Remember back in the days, some of our parents didnt even have tv, all these extra toys etc...but most of us turned out pretty good & normal As long parents are spending good quality time with their children, I think they will be alright. But yeah some tv is good
                              Well the kid was the most softhearted and the politest that I have ever seen, no he is not spoiled, his parents care about manners, yes he is the only kid and will stay like this as his mom said. He is not getting everything, like he has to wait till his birthday for his first computer ect... as being the only kid, he did have lots of toys in his room but the toys were more educational ones.

He was voilent in the way that even yesterday he was forcefully hugging my daugther and she started crying as she doesnt like this at all. And this is the second kid boy who is doing this, before it was another from the group and I asked the caretaker to mind the kid when he does it, will ask her to do it again.

Comment

Working...
                              X