Risk Factors of High Blood Pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Risk Factors of High Blood Pressure

Hypertension is pretty common nowadays. We might know at least one person related to us taking high blood pressure medicines. Did you guys ever wonder what caused them to have hypertension? If one must know the risk factors then surely there are chances of controlling it.

From your knowledge, who would have high blood pressure risk factor among the poll?
    white > young > married > smoker
    6.25%
    desi > old > obese > smoker
    62.50%
    Black > old > obese > diabetic > smoker
    25.00%
    Asian > newly born > under weight
    6.25%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Lois Lane; Nov 19, 2008, 09:21 PM.
    Im too proud & mean.

Re: Risk Factors of High Blood Pressure

Black > old > obese > diabetic > smoker

a recipe for disaster.
    Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.

Comment

did u vote for the last one?
      Im too proud & mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Lois Lane View Post
        did u vote for the last one?
        no I voted for 2nd last, which is a fact.

who voted for an asian newborn baby!
        Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.

Comment

^ lookin at ur avatar
          Im too proud & mean.

Comment

the last choice?

well i dont think race has that much to do with it when we factor in the other given conditions. I have guessed...so lets seee...Then again we can never say for sure just by the given information

Comment

^ Infact studies have shown that race does matter. For example, diabetes and heart attacks are more common in us desis due to our fatty food starting from breakfast till we fall asleep. =/
              Im too proud & mean.

Comment

Desis are predisposed to hypertension by the very fact that they are desi. And on top of that, being obese with pot bellies and being a smoker, that would definiteky increase the risk.
                Don't be hurtin' and hatin' cuz my phone is so cool!

Comment

^ interesting

don't you if we add diabetes to that desi, it can get even more risky?
                  Im too proud & mean.

Comment

Yes of course.

My dad has had hypertension since his early thirties. He's had a couple of angina attacks during his 40s. At 50 he had a quadruple bypass and since then, he's had 3-4 stents put in. He is a physician himself, very active and is an excellent example to follow in terms of his eating habits. However, hypertension and heart disease runs in his genes. My mom has been on hypertension meds since her early 40s and although she does not have heart disease, she has to be extremely careful.

With that history in mind, my parents have brought my sister and I up with very serious dietary control, forced exercise programs, etc., as we are high risk. Though my parents are not diabetic, both sets of grandparents and my phuppis have all been diabetic. I am also borderline.
                    Don't be hurtin' and hatin' cuz my phone is so cool!

Comment

I think you should have option check all that apply because I wanted to vote for 2 and 3.
                      "The point is Allah. And everything besides Allah, is besides the point."

Comment

Desi> overwieght> any age.

Comment

Originally posted by ehsan View Post
                          Desi> overwieght> any age.
                          Agree with you on this. Have to factor in desi and overweight at any age which puts the person at high risk.

I also think white couples > married > with either husband or a wife as a smoker and/or overweight are also at a risk of high blood pressure. This is in fact more common, I believe in whites than blacks, although as Lois pointed out, race does come into picture. Asians/desis more so than any other race.

Comment

sigh.. desion.. be proud, we ain't at high risk...

Comment

^ looking at our desi diet, its easy to assume that we are att he biggest risk of getting hypertension. Why would you pick black over desi??
                              Im too proud & mean.

Comment

Working...
                              X