Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12 FOODS to BOOST Your IMMUNE SYSTEM!

https://appropriateliving.com/12-foo...tg=opa_control

1) Broccoli is one of the healthiest vegetables of all. It contains many essential substances like sulforaphane, which activates antioxidants and enzymes in our immune cells. These immune cells prevent free radicals – aggressive substances that damage body cells – from doing their destructive work. Damaged cells are considered to be the leading causes of many diseases: not only cancer but also ageing diseases such as rheumatism, diabetes and a weak immune system.

2) Chicken soup is a real classic when it comes to food when you are sick. Hot liquids such as herbal teas and soup make you feel a lot better when you are sick. Carrots, mushrooms, chicken, and broccoli are in this list for a reason, so add them to your soup for an even healthier dish.

3) Oranges are known to be packed with vitamin C. as early as the sixteenth century, sailors knew that citrus fruits could prevent scurvy. Vitamin C has an antioxidant function in the body and is necessary to maintain resistance. It protects our body against free radicals. They can cause damage to the body and cause diseases. A regular orange or orange juice shouldn’t be missing when you are ill. It is, of course, best to make your own juice. You can also add other fruits with a lot of vitamin C, such as grapefruit, mandarin or strawberries.

4) Carrots are not only good for your eyes, but they also give your immune system a boost. Carrots are the best source of beta carotene. That is an antioxidant that is converted into Vitamin A in your body. This vitamin ensures that you always have enough white blood cells in your body. Eat 10 carrots every day, and you already get enough vitamin A. Besides, your skin will also thank you by incorporating carrots in your diet. Carrots help achieve healthy and radiant skin. The vitamin A that your body gets from the beta carotene helps to protect your skin from the sun.

5) The health benefits of chilli pepper are often underestimated. Chilli pepper is high in antioxidants and packed with vitamin C. It contains even more vitamin C than a lemon. You naturally wonder why they always say that vitamin C is so healthy. Well, vitamin C stimulates the production of white blood cells, which in turn ensures that your body builds up resistance. Of course, no one eats a whole chilli pepper just like that, but it is ideal for making soup, for example. Besides, chilli peppers are rich in capsaicin, the substance that is responsible for peppers being so spicy. Capsaicin has several health benefits. It is not for nothing that this substance is also used in throat lozenges and certain medicines for pain and itching.

6) Sweet potatoes are not only very nutritious but also very healthy. Sweet potatoes are packed with vitamin A, and a right amount of vitamin C. Besides, sweet potatoes contain beta carotene which can easily be transformed to vitamin A by our bodies. These vitamins are essential for an excellent immune system. Sweet potato also contains glutathione, also known as the master antioxidant. This antioxidant plays a vital role in the production of white blood cells.

7) Ginger has been used for thousands of years. Not only because of the specific taste but also because ginger has medicinal purposes. Modern scientific research has proven that the beneficial effect of ginger comes from more than 100 bioactive substances.

8) While garlic is not so beneficial for your breath, it is super useful for your immune system. Garlic can fight bacteria, fungi and infections. It is said to contain even the most critical antioxidants in existence. These antioxidants can help to protect the immune system against colds and acne. A large 12-week study found that a daily garlic supplement reduced the number of colds by 63%, compared to a placebo. Take that bad breath for granted, and you will immune system will get a good boost.

9) The almond is now at the top of the lists of super foods. It is one of the healthiest nuts you can get. Technically, almonds are not a nut, but rather a seed. This nutritious tree nut, from the same family as peaches and apricots, is known for its many health benefits. A handful of almonds every day, about 24 pieces, can help lower ‘bad’ cholesterol and reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and diabetes. Besides, almonds are very rich in vitamin E, and this is great for your immune system. A small handful of almonds per day already provides 40 per cent of the recommended daily amount of vitamin per day. Ideal for boosting your resistance.

10) Oysters! You have to love it, of course, but oysters work great to boost your immune system. They are packed with minerals like magnesium and zinc, which is essential for a well-functioning immune system. Next to that, oysters contain protein, calcium and several vitamins, such as B12, B3, D and a little bit of C.

11) Kale is a real super food, but much cheaper than goji berries and chia seeds. By eating 125 grams of kale you achieve 90 per cent of the recommended daily amount of vitamin C and 350 per cent of the recommended daily amount of vitamin A. We always think fruit is packed with vitamin C. Still, kale contains much more vitamin C than the same weight of an orange. Furthermore, kale contains a wide range of minerals like manganese, copper and calcium. Very usually kale is eaten in combination with something like potatoes or legumes. This means that the final total level of minerals and vitamins will be significantly higher.

12) Mushrooms are very healthy because they are low in calories and fat and rich in minerals, vitamins and fiber. Therefore, they also count as the recommended two ounces of vegetables per day. For example, mushrooms are an essential source of vitamin B2, B3, folic acid and the minerals potassium and phosphorus, making them fundamental for your immune system.

We don't see things as they are; we see things as we are!

Very informative list.. thanks for sharing

Question about chilli pepper. how do you usually take it? Like spraying over the cooked food? Or does it mean like big green chilli?
    Attitude is more important than facts.
    "Life is 10% what happens to us..and 90% of how we react to it"

Comment

Obama you are wealth of info, I think stress is the biggest killer on the planet and we foolishly stress the life out of people we love the most.

Comment

I'm missing the onions... consider a tea with ginger, citrus peel, onion and some herbs and seeds for immunity. Haven't tried it yet, but others swear by it.

If you eat broccoli for its sulforaphane, you need to know how to cook it and/or why adding mustard powder after cooking broccoli increases bioavailability of sulforaphane. Or if it's not your fav veg, consider broccoli sprouts.

Haven't tried fresh garlic but you can take it with olive oil of it's too strong, is said to be also good for parasite cleansing.

As for mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms are wonderful.

Not many people like kale, sadly. My mom makes it the desi way, but with chicken lol. Altho probably not the best way to cook if you're concerned about the vit C.

Pyaar waliyan nu nayio vekh sakda zamaana..

Comment

• SID_NY
          SID_NY commented
          Editing a comment
          There is a desi way for Kale also? I didnt know lol. I think its only desis who dont like kale. Its smoothie is very healthy but you need to mix fruits in there otherwise you'll most likely throw up lol

• Mademoiselle
          Mademoiselle commented
          Editing a comment
          SID_NY Think Aloo palak or Palak murgh but with kale instead <3 I prefer it over palak. Another good alternative is escarole/endive.
          I didn't like kale in smoothie form.

Originally posted by SID_NY View Post
        Very informative list.. thanks for sharing

Question about chilli pepper. how do you usually take it? Like spraying over the cooked food? Or does it mean like big green chilli?
        Ah Yes Chillies! I love the Pakistani Achars i.e. "Mitchell's Brand "Mixed Hyderabadi Pickles" of Renala Khurd, District Okara, Pakistan it is one of my favorite Condiments it is not too HOT just right for me!

As for the pure Vegetable Chilli Peppers I have had fresh Jalapenos, I always remove the seeds!

I tried once and never again the Very Very HOT! ...Habeneros...........Them things are Firesome HOT ORANGE in Color.......
        .the hottest Habanero would be 140 times hotter than the mildest jalapeneo............

I know there are also a Thailand Green Peppers way too hot! the Wife likes those, I have had them too.......

So like someone said....What is FOOD if the Flavor does not make you SWEAT while you are Eating..........

Comment

Originally posted by SID_NY View Post
          There is a desi way for Kale also? I didnt know lol. I think its only desis who dont like kale. Its smoothie is very healthy but you need to mix fruits in there otherwise you'll most likely throw up lol
          When it is available I always have KALE!.......Love it and it Loves Me Back!..........can eat it raw like Salad or Sauteed mixed with Spinach and Onions!.............

I do not throw UP... Not with Kale!

Comment

• Mademoiselle
            Mademoiselle commented
            Editing a comment
            How can you eat it raw? :/ Do you massage it or use an acidic dressing?
            Have you tried kalettes?

Originally posted by Mademoiselle View Post
          I'm missing the onions... consider a tea with ginger, citrus peel, onion and some herbs and seeds for immunity. Haven't tried it yet, but others swear by it.

If you eat broccoli for its sulforaphane, you need to know how to cook it and/or why adding mustard powder after cooking broccoli increases bioavailability of sulforaphane. Or if it's not your fav veg, consider broccoli sprouts.

Haven't tried fresh garlic but you can take it with olive oil of it's too strong, is said to be also good for parasite cleansing.

As for mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms are wonderful.

Not many people like kale, sadly. My mom makes it the desi way, but with chicken lol. Altho probably not the best way to cook if you're concerned about the vit C.
          Hey Bobby1 Now Here is the Real Store House of and connoisseur of Gourmet Cooking...

Comment

• Mademoiselle
            Mademoiselle commented
            Editing a comment
            Lool nah not at all just sharing knowledge

Originally posted by Mademoiselle View Post
          How can you eat it raw? :/ Do you massage it or use an acidic dressing?
          Have you tried kalettes?
          Click image for larger version  Name:	Kale.JPG Views:	12 Size:	288.0 KB ID:	16688020

Yes Curly Kale on the Left! .............Lacinato Kale in the Middle.......This is better Sauteed!........................Red Kale and Curly Kale can be had Raw with some dressing
          Last edited by Obama; Apr 29, 2020, 07:18 PM.

Comment

With all the viruses going around my instructions to both my families is to not eat raw veggies, most salmonella also comes from salads, I got frozen broccoli and served it steamed rather than salad

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby1 View Post
              With all the viruses going around my instructions to both my families is to not eat raw veggies, most salmonella also comes from salads, I got frozen broccoli and served it steamed rather than salad
              Bobby1 Bhai Sahib actually I do worry about Bacteria like E-Coli on RAW SALAD! You are totally correct! However they told us about this CoronaVirus that eating it as long as you also drink warm Liquids with your meal the stomach Acid dissolves them tiny Critters to smithereens!..

However why take chance with this New Azaab e Elahi! will have to COOK every Thing to be Safe..!

Comment

• Bobby1
                Bobby1 commented
                Editing a comment
                I drink many cups of piping hot tea, I think heat might kill many bactarias.

• Don't smoke.
              • Eat a diet high in fruits and vegetables.
              • Exercise regularly.
              • Maintain a healthy weight.
              • If you drink alcohol, drink only in moderation.
              • Get adequate sleep.
              • Take steps to avoid infection, such as washing your hands frequently and cooking meats thoroughly.
              • Try to minimize stress.

Comment

Working...
              X