SUV Show down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SUV Show down

I am considering getting one. Must-have requirements are three rows of seating (7 or 8 passenger), 4WD, navigation and leather. Here are a few I am currently considering, in no particular order. If any of you have any opinions/thoughts on these, please share

1. 2006 Honda Pilot.
    Pros: Spacious. Nice pricing. Seating for eight. Honda name.
    Cons: Stale shape. Gear on steering column. Under-powered.

2. 2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 4WD
    Pros: Nice pricing. Nice interior. Spacious. Work horse. V8 engine is nice.
    Cons: Poor resale. Ford name. Everyone and his uncle drives one.

3. 2006 Toyota 4Runner
    Pros: Slick interior. Toyota reliability. Good off-road capabilities
    Cons: Pricey for the same features. Not as spacious.

4. 2006 Nissan Pathfinder/Armada V8
    Pros: Slick interior. Armada is spacious.
    Cons: Questionable workmanship. Boxy exterior styling.

Some others that I initially considered, but then decided against for various reasons are Lincoln Navigator (too big ass), Cadillac Escalade (too pricey for the same features), Volvo XC90 (Too compact), Acura MDX (Pricey, plus you get the same thing in Pilot for lot less), Toyota Sequoia (humm dumm interior and too big ass).
    "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Re: SUV Show down

XC90 is too compact? It's bigger than the Acura MDX which didn't get that criticism.

*mAd_ScIeNtIsT, the sworn defender of all Volvos*
    Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
    Al-Ghazali

Comment

The problem with both Acura and Volvo is the price-value. When I price a Volvo XC 90 with all the options I need, its pushing $52k. Thats basically a $20k premium over other SUV's with similar options (sans the Volvo name/safety etc).
      "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

True... the problem with them is that they're luxury cars, so have the hefty price premium.

I would say the Ford is a big no-no unless you can haggle enough of a discount to offset the whopper depreciation. Rumours are that a new Pilot is imminent; you might be able to weasle a nice enough price on the current model because of that to offset the weak engine.

Toyota reliability comes at Toyota price, but the flip side of that is that the Toyota will keep a stronger resale value.

I would avoid the Nissan; Nissan seems to have a number of quality issues these days that weren't around in its Datsun past.
        Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
        Al-Ghazali

Comment

I think with style, name, value, exterior and power (3.5L-244hp), Pilot wins over any other SUV in its catagory. If 4Runner was not that ugly I would have recommended that. The redesigned Pilot is cool.
          charah saazon se alag hai mayar mera kay main
          zakham khaaonga tou kuch aur nikhar jaaonga

Comment

Actually 4Runner's interior is very nice. Good point about Explorer's resale, ofcourse.

Pilot is a compelling choice, except its not offered in V8, plus the looks (even after the freshened up front and tail lights for '06) is very stale, and the placement of their gear shift sucks.

I heard similar stories about workmanship of Nissan. Which is a shame, cz their interior is nice.

Comment

Pilot's redesign is not expected till '08 model. Thats probably a full year from now, at a minimum. For '06/'07 there is just a freshened up head/taillights and front grille.

Comment

Yep, thats what I meant actually: A face lift for existing model.

BTW, if Pilot is not good looking (for a 8 seater SUV) which other vehicle is in that catagory. I loved old pathfinder from 2000, it had right curves and was best designed. But the current one is the most dumbest.
                charah saazon se alag hai mayar mera kay main
                zakham khaaonga tou kuch aur nikhar jaaonga

Comment

i like the big armada's , but i heard they arent too good in the reliability department. Out of those the toyota would be the best buy . But like you listed it dosent have that much space.

Im guessing the infinity FX is too small for you ?

what about the new gm line of SUV's ? the yukons and the escalades and the tahoe's . Those are really nice and lower priced than the outgoing models. If i were you i would probably go out and test drive one.

Comment

Toyota Sequoia or Honda Pilot
                    JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

pilot is good , one of the 5 best at road and track.

sequoia is old and bland. No excitement. But i would seriously consider the GM vehicles.

Comment

Why not one that is hybrid?
                        I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
                        - Robert McCloskey

Comment

^ You mean Highlander. Availability is iffy, price difference means it won't breakeven before year 5 and styling is bland. I guess the only reason one would buy it is if one is a die-hard environmentalist or can get into the car pool lane, because as far as $$$ are concerned, even after all the tax breaks, hybrids makes little financial sense.

Sequoia has a very ordinary interior.

iori, US brands lose their value more rapidly than imports, primarily because of incentives offered for new cars. I didn't like the interior of most GM trucks for '05 models that I rented in the last one year, and Cadillac Escalade is pushing $50k with no noticable advantage in features. I will certainly recheck the interiors of the new model GM trucks to see if any of them inspire me this time.

Comment

Faisal Bhaijaan, explain that cost thing a little. I thought the hybrids just have a longer wait time.
                            I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
                            - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Basically, hybrids cost so much more than petrol engined cars that the average driver would not recoup the extra expense through petrol savings until at least 5 years down the line.

If you plan to keep the car for less than 5 years, don't get a hybrid.

But if you're buying to own a hybrid for the long-term, you're taking an additional risk. Hybrid technology has not been around long enough to know well the long-term ownership costs. After all, as well as the expense of maintaining a mechanical petrol-driven drivetrain, you also have the expense of keeping the electrical drivetrain in working order.
                              Al-Ghazali

Comment

Working...
                              X