X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP iPAQ 1945 PDA-Comments

Here is the link for information:

HP iPAQ Review

Question is: How is the PDA? Why are people generally averse to Microsoft-based OSs for PDA?

This pda has excellment expandibility features too.

Comments?
    Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.

I have a Palm-based Sony Clie, and my father has a MS-based Pocket PC. There is no doubt, the colors are much more vibrant in Pocket PC. The hand-writing recognition softwares built into MS-based Pocket PC are much enhanced than the frugal Grafitti on most Palm-based devices.

Anyway, to cut a long story short... MS-based devices are bulkier than Palm-based, and comparatively speaking have, less software available. But even then, I think the expansion opportunities, and superiority of graphics make MS-based Pocket PC a very good option.
    "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

Thanks Faisal. Is the bulky part really true...i think its slick (and sleek too). Kher..you would know better.

Aap se aik aur sawal hain since you have been a very hoonhar ustaad so far . Consider this Nokia Media Device 7700 as well:

Nokia 7700 Media Device

I was wondering why should i get a PDA, when i can get this? I have no idea of its price though and its slated to be available in 2nd quarter 2004. What would be the potential disadvantages of this over a PDA? I know for starters, the colors will not be AS great as the iPAQ. For me, internet connectivity (preferably though a wired network interface or a CF modem) are important. The PIM may come in handy too.

Any idea of its price folks?

Thanks

Comment

just checked the specs,
        not bad. appart from the colours (looks like a gameboy ) I cant see annything bad.
        The specs are better then the Ipaq 1945

If the price is good, I m guessing 500-600 Euro's It can be a good thing.
        Now the last problem is: If the price is in the same range as most Ipaq's/ sony's (expensive ) It will have a hard time getting foot on the ground.
        There is no more pleasant food for the soul than the knowledge of truth. - Lactantius

Comment

skip sony. the palm os is restrictive. get a pocket OS and sync with ur windows at home. if u get the wireless iPaq, and have a wireless net connection @ home it makes for an awesome browsing combo (msn too).

i have a clie i envy people that use their pocket pdas with msn and internet while im stuck with a lousy 3rd party browser that sucks :'(

Comment

Khan Sahab,

Do you know anything about I-Mate
            • Model Number 99HY2002-00
              IMATE PC
              PDA/MOBILE PHONE
              400MHz PROCESSOR
              64MBRAM
              128MB ROM
              GSM/GPRS
              BLUE TOOTH
              BUILT IN CAMERA
              3.5 64K COLOUR TOUCH SREEN
              MS POCKET PC2003

Perhaps you or any one else can share some views

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Khanzada:
              Aap se aik aur sawal hain since you have been a very hoonhar ustaad so far . Consider this Nokia Media Device 7700 as well:

Nokia 7700 Media Device

Any idea of its price folks?
              Wow, that device is sweet. I hadn't seen it yet. The only thing is the OS, Palm OS has the highest number of softwares available, yes, even more than PocketPC. Nokia usually uses Symbian (I wasn't able to find which one this thing uses or the amount of memory or so forth). I wouldn't mind having it!

Originally posted by hskhan:
              skip sony. the palm os is restrictive. get a pocket OS and sync with ur windows at home. if u get the wireless iPaq, and have a wireless net connection @ home it makes for an awesome browsing combo (msn too).
              WHAT!!!!
              If anything, I think PocketPC is restrictive. It does have a few features that PalmOS lacks but its BLOAAAAATED.
              Anyway, that's my opinion
              An Android a day keeps the Apple away!

Comment

Praet: You are absolutely right, the price will be anywhere about that (or so i am assuming). It's a good thing for sure, save the colors. Add the fact that i am here in pakistan where the concept of browsing using a cell phone is not too in (in terms of cost effectiveness ). Specs are better than ipaq? well i do not see eye to eye with you on this one. Discuss!

hskhan: although i do not have wireless net at either home or office, the colors and the features (i like many of us use microsoft suite of products) do attract me. Couple this with the fact that i being the old-fashioned guy am getting a CF modem card with it too (wireless 802.11b cards may not be something for me 'yet' unless we discover wireless corporate networks).

surgeon bhai: baat aap ki achi hai, but this is not available as of now. plus the colors throw me off big time.

Lone Ranger: nahin partner, aisa to kuch nahin suna

TofiBhai: jee acha to hai, par abhi market main hai nahin. 3rd quarter of this year main aaega. aur jaane kitne ka ho..kia pata? :halo:

I have heard good things about this ipaq-especially about the fact that it's not bulky. kher woh pata chal jaega.

As of today i.e. 10:15 pm i have decided on getting the ipaq with a CF modem card (for the old me) and an aluminum carrying case

aap ko bataon ga ke purchase kaisi rahi.

Thanks for all the help. much appreciated.

Comment

/edit/ congratz on the new machine, I m sure you will enjoy it :biggthumb
                  ok back :

Just compared the specs of both the machines and here u go:
                  Ipaq 1945
                  Samsung S3C2410 Processor at 266MHz (ARM)

Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC OS

3.5" 16-bit Color Transreflective TFT

64MB RAM (56MB User Accessible)

Onboard Bluetooth 1.1; WLAN Ready with SDIO

IR Port; SD/MMC Slot Onboard (w/ SDIO)

Weight: 4.37oz; 4.46" x 2.75" x .50"

Removable 900mAh Li-Ion Battery; +/- 8 Hours

Nokia 7700

ri-Band Operation

* GSM 900/1800/1900
                  * Automatic switching between bands

Size

* Weight: 183 g
                  * Dimensions: 165 cc, 133.7 x 79.5 x ~21.6 mm

Display and User Interface

* High-resolution LCD display
                  * Series 90 UI with touch screen
                  * Display size: 640 x 320 pixels
                  * 65,536 colors
                  * Touch-screen, pen-based input with stylus
                  * On-screen keyboard
                  * Handwriting recognition

Physical keys:

* Scroll and select key (scroll up, down, left, right, select)
                  * Back/Cancel
                  * Home (Apps key)
                  * Menu key
                  * 2 application-specific keys
                  * Send key
                  * End/Exit key
                  * Voice key
                  * Power key

Audio/Visual Media Features

* Camera: 640 x 480 pixel resolution; 2 x digital zoom
                  * RealPlayer: Playback and stream RealMedia (video and audio) and 3GPP-compliant content (H.263 and MPEG-4)
                  * Music: supports MP3, AAC, RealAudio 7 and 8, WAV, MIDI, and AMR-NB file types. Keep your sounds organized with Nokia Audio Manager (NAM)
                  * Images: supports JPEG, GIF, BMP, PNG, and animated GIF images
                  * Sketch: Edit images (crop, zoom, rotate, and flip) and draw your own. Add images to contacts or send them (via MMS, email or Bluetooth).
                  * Stereo FM radio

Memory Functions

* 20 - 25 MB of internal memory available for contacts, text messages, multimedia messages, ringing tones, images, video clips, personal information management, and applications
                  * 64 MB Memory Card provided in the sales package
                  * Additional memory units available (up to 128 MB)

Phone Features

* PIM: Contacts, extensive calendar, Mobile Wallet 2.0, calculator
                  * Office applications: Word, Sheet, and Presentation Viewer
                  * Flight mode: all radio-related activities turned off
                  * Offline mode: Use the MP3 player, FM radio, AAC, PIM, and Bluetooth without a SIM card

Messaging

* Multimedia messaging: Multimedia messaging (MMS) with compatible devices; send and receive messages containing text, images, audio, and video.
                  * Email: Access your work and private email accounts; supports SMTP, POP3, and IMAP4 protocols
                  * Text messaging: create, send, edit, and receive text messages (SMS).

Games

* Downloadable Java MIDP 2.0 and Symbian games

Java Applications

* Downloadable Java MIDP 2.0 applications

Ringing Tones

* Use MP3, AAC or AMR-NB files as ringing tones
                  * Up to 24 polyphonic ringing tones
                  * 24 ringing tones preset, all removable

Wireless Connectivity

* Pop-Port interface
                  * Connect phone wirelessly to a compatible phone or a compatible PC
                  * Bluetooth technology
                  * Over-the-air ringing tones, settings and messages (for Web access point, Web bookmarks, and SyncML)
                  * Remote OTA synchronization with SyncML; local synchronization with PC using PC Suite

Browsing

* HTML and XHTML with Opera browser
                  * Downloadable plugins
                  * OMA mDRM - forward lock for content protection
                  * Wallet: convenient online use and storage of your numbers and passwords

Data Transfer

* EDGE*
                  * GPRS* (multislot class 10)
                  * E-GPRS* (multislot class 4 (3+1))
                  * HSCSD (High-Speed Circuit-Switched Data)*
                  * Circuit-switched data
                  * TCP/IP*

*Note that these services require network support.

Call Management

* Click-to-talk: Easy dialing with the touch screen interface
                  * Contacts: Advanced contacts database with support for multiple phone and email details per entry; also supports thumbnail pictures and groups
                  * Speed dialing
                  * Logs: Keeps lists of your dialed, received, and missed calls
                  * Automatic redial
                  * Supports Fixed Dialing Number, which allows calls only to predefined numbers
                  * Conference call (up to 5 participants)

Power Management

- Its available right now
                  - It has professional support for several years now, and HP/Compaq have excellent customer support
                  - It has been tested in real life, (its possible the nokia machine wont work as promised/bugs etc.
                  - most probably the price wont be that competitive (doestn matter if your rich )
                  - I dont think alot of peeple will use all the specs it has. just like not manny peeple use the full potentiall of a 3.4 Ghz P4 system
                  - It has a sweeeeeeeeeet design, the nokia looks like a toy from thge local toy store

one more thing, the nokia will probably have a paperlaunch in Q2 2004. the actuall thing will be availbe some time later
                  There is no more pleasant food for the soul than the knowledge of truth. - Lactantius

Comment

so now u want a PDA to sho aaf in aafis haynji? tsk tsk stop this fazool kharchi i say

Comment

Praet: Yar tum ne mounh ki baat cheen li (please wapas karo ). If not for anything else, then for the colors and the bharam! Thanks. you are right, it may be sometime later in 2004 before i can lay my hands on it and it WILL be expensive (around 45-50,000 PKR is my bet).

Niqabi: Show off nahin, the correct word is bharam! yar its actually not for it, i am more looking at it in terms of having net connectivity in a compact package. I wont take the laptop along all the time and i just love its shape (and did i mention bharam? ). Sorry, i just purchased it. But mera dost april main US se aae ga to us se pehle mujh ko pata nahin chalay ga ke yeh kaisa hai!

Comment

Working...
                      X