Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compact Flash Modem for PDAs

Partners,

I am looking for a Compact Flash modem that can use a regular RJ-11 line (analog telephone line) so i can get internet connectivity on the palm.

I have googled it out but only one company apparently has it. Some Pro...XYZ kar ke naam hai bhool gaya. Question is, if the idea appeals to me, why doesn't it do so to others, especially the manufacturers of such products? and what are some good names for the same?

Regards,
    Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.

Re: Compact Flash Modem for PDAs

Originally posted by Khanzada:
    Question is, if the idea appeals to me, why doesn't it do so to others, especially the manufacturers of such products?
    Probably because most PDA users have wireless networks, where they can access the internet. Therefore, instead of focussing on providing CF modems, many devices have Wifi (802.11b/g) or Bluetooth built into the device. Using those, the users can access the internet/emails from the PDA. Its less messy then connecting to an ISP via dial-up on a Palm device.

Whether any other company makes CF modems, I don't know. Maybe someone else can help you out.
    "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

^Thanks Faisal. Yes you are right about the Wifi thingie however our corporate network is still the old fashioned wired one so a bluetooth-enabled PDA may not be that useful for me.

I was also thinking of getting a cordless set with a blootooth interface which would also serve the same purpose. However, it costs almost the same as the PDA itself, so it is also not helping me either.

Thanks anyways.
      Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.

Comment

buy a usb bluetooth dongle. pop it into a comp near you, set it up, and voila wireless internet via bluetooth.

a dongle is pretty cheap too - arnd $40CDN

i have a bluetooth'd clie, works like a charm.

Comment

If you have a BT enabled cell phone this is be best route to go with. You can dial into ur network even. But if you insist on getting a CF card with RJ11 take a look at this one: http://www.socketcom.com/product/MO7000-324.asp. use the links to buy it online.
          Both my Palm, cell and laptop are BT enabled, so eternal connectivity.
          An Android a day keeps the Apple away!

Comment

Working...
          X