Snapshot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snapshot

We often speak about the image that people present, inferring that this is a calculated maneuver. However, I disagree.

I went to a conference in which the concept of identity was discussed. The speaker brought up several points

One that social reality is how an individual perceives himself and this is how they will choose to present themselves. Our image that we present is a snapshot of our entire personality/identity. We have a multitude of snapshots of ourselves for a multitude of social situation work, friends, families, internet, etc. Preserving the impression becomes more important than your own identity…as you strive for social acceptance.

Social disapproval is an assault on your own identity. If you are unable to gain desired social approval you fall into dysfunctional patterns to attempt to gain acceptance.

So why do I bring it up here?
    Well we often speak of net Image and personality in a condescending manner…however people are doing only what is normal….but just in a more controlled environment.

The second idea is that need for social approval may/often does hinder people from responding. People may fear being flamed or just that their response isn't good enough. What people don't realize is that just because a response is on the net...forever imbedded in the hard drive...that does not mean they themselves are forever unable to change their ideas or presentation. Also, it is not a defect to admit it.

So what do you think?

Excellent point on
    What people don't realize is that just because a response is on the net...forever imbedded in the hard drive...that does not mean they themselves are forever unable to change their ideas or presentation. Also, it is not a defect to admit it.

I think one of the reasons for this is that the response time on net is longer than actual conversation. For all that time, so many people are reading the message in which you are inflamed. Also, it is easier to come to a quicker compormise or conformity when talking to someone in person than on the net. The best interaction is always a face to face interaction, and that's how you know a person best. Knowing someone on the net still leaves some gaps to be filled before you start taking someone's criticism lightly and more constructively. Trust and understanding on the net is harder to achieve than by using conventional methods of face to face conversation or telephone chat.

Comment

I agree with Roman. I guess communicating in an environment such as this virtual one is more of a half-duplex type of communication. Its difficult to make judgements from just words. I've had e-mails which sometimes sound as if the writer is being hasty. It wasn't the case. It was just the choice of vocabulary. I try to use words which do not sound harsh or hasty, but its also a matter of interpretation.

Thats correct K. We all have different snapshots of ourselves for different environments. I personally am different with my friends, family and people I do not know very well. On the Net people often convey as little as possible about themselves. A lot of information could be totally false too. In a face-to-face conversation there is usually no time to think about a suitable response.

Comment

I have a different spin on this ... I think ppl behave on the net - as they want to behave ... becuase there are no repcrussions of their actions or words.... In a perverse sort of way - perhaps the net is a better indicator of individuals as they - and any limitations that put on themselevs is becoz of self restratint or principles.....

Independence is a dual edge sword - along with freedom comes responsibility ... unfortunately to tooo many the freedom part is far more enticing - and we make decisions based on free-will and at times without responsibility... IN a way that is both good and bad abt americana..... we think we have all the answers and we are so consumed by our self worth that we rarely realizie the follies of our making ......... that is the irony of individualism.....

COnversely in real life we are far image conscious becoz anonymity does not hide our actions and there repcrussions in terms of image & social acceptance .....so our behaviour is far more tempered....

Then there are others who argue the net is just a virtual fantasy and we should ignore it - judge ppl o the basis of their personal interaction with other individuals in a social setting - but is that a closer representaion of an individual ????? - is that the essence .....why even judge ppl - unless the net relationships move beyond the realm of the internet - but that to me is a very risky proposition ......

Comment

Working...
        X