Hindu Girls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hindu Girls

Following is a description by Saadat Hassan Minto of a Hindu girl. They are some of the most attractive women in the world.

"Her white cotton sari, her association with the Congress and the fact that she worked in a hospital had all combined to soften that slight hardness one finds in Muslim girls. She was not beautiful, but she was very feminine. She had acquired that hard-to-describe quality so characteristic of Hindu girls - a mixture of humility, self-assurance and the urge to worship. In her, the beauty of ritualistic Muslim prayer and Hindu devotion to temple gods had been alchemized."

Dard

Interesting post dard,

" When I fell in love with her , it was the third day of her death"
    This is the opening line of a story by Qudrat ullah shahab.... In college he fell in love with a hindu lady, both going to govt. college Lahore... His description of that lady is exquisite..I am sure colored by his own emotions ...but who in the world is objective anyways....

Comment

Nova yes yes I agree with you that chapter in Shahabnama is one of my favourites. I particularly love his description of roaming around Lahore on his bike and the meal at her house. You can never forget your first love. I had to decide between Minto and Shahab and I guess I chose Minot because I found a good translation.

Dard

Comment

oppss

[This message has been edited by ghalib (edited April 02, 1999).]

Comment

So did anyone write anything about Sonali Bindre?

Comment

Hey Dard.....I thought the most attractive women are from the Punjab (both Indian and Pakistani), though they have a tendency put on weight fast like most Indian women I guess (specially after marriage). What do you think ?

Comment

Dard,
              Its been a while that I read that...laikin still remember parts of it.....remember the ending , when he tells his prof. "she reverted to the gold mine"....for somereason has stuck with me...
              Bombay Kid,
              I agree...punjabi ladies may not be delicate, like some one from Lackhnow, but there vibrance, witts , and of course physical attributes more than make up for it.....When I was a little kid , I always told my mom , that I will marry a lahoran...

Comment

Dard......what do you exactly mean by your posts in my opinion there are many muslim girls with the same exquisiteness as hindu girls and sometimes even more.....there is a certain modesty and noor as they say on the faces of muslim girls.....i guess you've never met the right girl huh?

Comment

"there is a certain modesty and noor as they say on the faces of muslim girls.....i guess you've never met the right girl huh? "

What is 'modesty and noor'? can you be more specific about this?

Comment

LadkiAnjani,
                    I whole heartedly agree with you....modesty and specially noor is visible even to the blind...yeh aaaj kaal kaay larkay..i.e MNI . inn batoon koo kayya janain...( bandaar kaya jannaay adrak kaa maza....)LOLOLOL
                    On a serious note , of course physical attributes follow genetic linkage , i.e ethnic , geaographical distributions , rather than religion , but In my opinion , hindu ladies are in general more comfortable with themselves..

Comment

i am a singapore pakistani who is to a muslim-and i am very comfortable with myself.what do u mean hindu girls are more comfortable with themself,care to explain

Comment

How can you folks sit around and talk of women like this....comparing them across ethnic and religious boundaries.

A woman is a woman is a woman....sketched in chalk, painted by the colours of culture, religion, education and intellect. As individual as each day of our lives where even in the most mundane routine there is always one thought, one breath, one silent gesture that sets it apart from all the rest......

Comment

Sonya,
                          I think it didnt come out right....no disrespect was intended...I guess , I meant more tolerant...now I am talking about general trends....you may be very different from the average....
                          muzna,
                          You know I am a big believer in individualism...but we can always entertain an interesting thought....
                          I agree with you completely though...

Comment

Nova yes I remember that well, "she has reverted to the gold mine". I read the chapter again yesterday and enjoyed it as much as the first time.

Anjani Larki, may be I haven't met the right muslim girls. The muslim ones who make it all the way from Pakiland to study here have a harshness about them which I cannot explain. Either they are die hard feminists or are in complete denial of their Paki-Muslim identity. Albiet I must say that this is based on an extremely small sample.

Even of the desis who have grown up here the Hindus seem to be better adjusted then the Muslim girls. There is this sense of self-assurance about them. And at least one who is very humble. I am not saying all Hindu girls are like this.

Now for the 'noor' part, the reason this is always added is because of this perverse infatuation in pakistan with gori girls. As soon as the girl becomes a little dark it is impossible to get that 'noor'. Jahan thora sa rang kum hua, there goes the whole sweetness and the noor and suddenly the girl becomes taiz.

I am going to step out on the limb here, don't chew me out for this it is just a thought. Since the girls generally are lighter in Northern India the darker ones there tend to have a terrible time and are less comfortable about themselves.

Dard

Comment

Dard,

Adaab.
                              We haven't met but when you posted this topic I was too busy and abhee kaafi mushkil say have caught up with you! Laugh!

My knowledge in Urdu literature is shamefully limited! Still will dare and ask, is Saadat Hassan Minto the same author who wrote "Kaali Shalwaar" and "Thanda Goasht"??

Also, Shukria for the Hindu girl post.
                              I grew up in an environment where I was exposed to many Hindus.
                              Never got over my fascination for my Hindu gaanay kaa master, my Hindu English Prof., cotton sarees and the Bindiya!!

Bottom line for this post, may I PLEASE request you to post for me as to WHERE I can get a Translation like the one you own?? It would be a BIG FAVOUR if you would take the trouble to post back some info "whenever" time permits.

Thanx a mil!

Comment

Working...
                              X