I'm Sorry....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm Sorry....

A phrase that we often hear from friends, family and co-workers....even acquaintances. "I'm sorry."

What does this mean to you? How do you feel inside when you hear/say this phrase?

If you have been hurt by someone's actions or words, do these words serve as compensation? Do they take the hurt/damage away? Are they enough?

When you utter these words what is it that you are feeling inside? Do you believe that you can actually understand how the hurty party is feeling?

Are these words sincere or a mere formality taught to us by years of social conditioning?

For me, personally, the expression would have different meaning on different occasions. And not considering the extreme ones, I would usually accept the appology from someone if he/she has caused an infliction on me, especially one of an incidental nature (unless the 'infliction' is materially significant enough not to be condoned, in which case I would definitely sue his/her *&% http://www.pak.org/gupshup/frown.gif )Aside from its common and social, courteous usage, I think the expression is quite pertinent and necessary specially when someone has undeliberately done some meager harm or infliction on someone (like bumping into him/her etc.) On such occasions, I don't think it is only a matter of formal expression, it is more like a sincere utterence. What else he/she can do? The accidental act cannot be undone. The best could be is to, at least, applogize to lessen the effect of the incident.

Comment

On a second note, Muzna, the kind of 'apology race' that is going on on the 'Meeting...' forum, I am lost on what to make out of it.

Comment

recently americans killed few chinese diplomats 'by mistake' and issued a statement that they are deeply sorry.

Comment

Reminds me of the "Sienfield" episode where "George" demands an apology.
          One can expect an apology but never demand one.

Comment

I have told all freinds never to use these words with me:
            1. Sorry
            2. Thankyou.

I think Sorry is more insulting because it removes the possibility of accident and reinforces that the action was diliberate.

Thank You is also an insult among friends. I don't do things for gratitude.

The Forgive and Forget Formula has never aplied to me. I may forgive in the social sense but I NEVER forget.

Stud

Comment

'

[This message has been edited by Rubiya Nur (edited July 30, 2000).]

Comment

"Sorry" can be a beginning to making amends. If you are truly sorry you will not repeat the mistake and you will do your best to make up in other ways. We all make mistakes, sometimes through ignorance sometimes because we overlook other points of view, don't understand the problem or are in a hurry. When someone says "sorry" to me I try and remember that there have been times I've made mistakes and have apologised very sincerely, praying that the person really understands. Give us a chance!

Comment

Sorry can be said in many ways. Someone could say it sarcastically, for formality or they could really mean it.

If they meant it then they would probably either try to prove that they meant it, or they would say sorry and try to avoid the subject again.

As people have already said it would make a difference depending on what they said sorry for.

Comment

Hi ,
                    Well to me sorry means nothing but crap.
                    I think i am sorry is a phrase that has no significance whatsoever. I mean lets see this phrase has been trashed so bad as usual.I think we need to find a new phrase and replace this one. Lets move on people...

Comment

Working...
                    X