Our Obsession with Suits!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our Obsession with Suits!

O.K....before you say anything, I know i proposed that we don;t discuss any topics related to desi shortcomings, but considering the topics which have been cropping up lately, I figure I might as well talk about something rather than laying low.

Suits!!! our obsession with wearing suits. Single breasted, double breasted. In pakistan, I have noticed that in order to command a little respect, a person must wear suit. Wear a suit to a casual gethering, wear a suit to formal gathering, wear a suit to weddings or wear a suit just to meet someone. Isn't our national dress, Shalwar Kameez, elegant enough?

I'll draw a little example from my own personal experience. Before i got married, whenever I had to visit my fiancee, my parents insisted that I wear a suit. They insisted to a point where they even refused to go with me merely because I wanted to go casual (the usual jeans and shirt and sometimes a sports coat). I finally convinced them to gimme a break, but I was just amazed at how we have associated certain imagery and personality traits with suits.

When I planned to visit pakistan after more than a decade, I thought about wearing shalwar kameez on the flight so I could fit in better with the crowd right from the beginning. But my friends warned me that if you don't want any hassle from customs and FIA, don;t dare wear shalwar kameez.

You guys wanna shed some light on this? Why is it that Pakistan is trying to emulate everything thats is American and yet can't break away from "suits" when all of corporate America is shying away from dress up to dress down?

Ghalib. I have had a different experience. In a number of events that I have been to in Pakistan, it seemed that ll the big shots were wearing shalwar qameez and a vest.
    Is'nt safari suit the uniform of choice in Pakistan anyways. Mon I think we shoudl go business casual there too. lungi banyaan :>
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

I agree with you Ghalib Bhai:
      First of all, if a person is going to a Gora's gethering, wearing a suite is not a problem at all but if a person is wearing a suite in desi gethering just to show off, that is a weakness in the personality and these peole think they can cover up the weakness of their personalities under double breasted suites.

Comment

Yes Mr. Fraudia, you are right, there is a trend in Pakistan to wear Shalwaas Kamees in the social getherings. In my view, Ghalib Bhai is talking about the "Western Slaves"

Comment

Hmmmm.....well.. I was constantly asked to wear suits to gatherings and I constantly refused. Maybe because I was getting hitched but still, this is as it happened to me.

Comment

Ghalib Bhai: It is nice that you refused to wear the Frungee Labaas in Desi gethering. I am Just curious, was it because of your true atatchments to your roots or was it because of weights? LOL, Just kidding Ghalib Yaar

Comment

hehehhehe...funny!! yaar....the shalwar kameez were loose on me... weight ki phil haal to koi problem nahi...

Comment

I guess im th only girl writing so here i go:

I think you guys are all right to want to wear shalwar kameez and casual more often. And I do not like guys wearing suits and being dressed up all the time i like em casual. And i my fiance came to see me wearing a suit everytime i would think hes thsi uptight guy that cant relax, and that he cant be intimate hell seem like this just outer relationship guy we wont be able to talk. I mean that is just my opinion some girls might think different. I think it is cool and very sexy for a guy to be wearing shalwar kameez!!!!

MORE POWER TO THE DESI LIBAS!!!!

Comment

when i was in apkistan,a lot of guys were walking around in the suits-even at the airport,i find it strange becoz we r so casually dressed here,in jeans and all.i think that when oaki guys wear the salwar kameez they look so good-there is a fine eg in my house my brother who wears it for namaz ,he look so good....so its stll the salwar kameez .

Comment

GHALIB JI

it is not the question of suit and shulwar-kameez..
                    DonoaN maiN say jo bhee cheez dhung say pehni jaay achhe lagti hey...
                    Agar app ko kupray pehunnay ka saleeqa nahin aatta tu suit main bhee admeelungoor hi lugta hey... http://www.pak.org/gupshup/biggrin.gif

Comment

its true that if you don;t have the "saleeqa" to wear clothes, you will look like, as mahnorr put it mildly, a langoor.

But thats not what i was discussing here. I just wanted to question our mutual affection for suits...

Another one of my pet peeves: Folks who wear suits on their trip from NY to Karachi. I mean c'mon!! wouldn;t sitting for 20 plus hours wearing a suit drive you nuts??? Fa Fa Fa Fa Fa Fa

Comment

ghalib
                        its true that if you don;t have the "saleeqa" to wear clothes, you will look like as mahnorr
                        Big time LOL
                        Ghalib kuch Ghuda Kaa khaoof karo yaar, I heard that Mehnoor is very Saleekaa walee

Comment

mein khuda ka khoof karroo?? oh bhai.. purri tarha sey line to parhi hoti..ap ney commas to miss hi kar diye....phir sey parhiye ja karr...

Comment

I did purposly
                            LOL

Comment

I have a first cousin who is married with a four year old son. He is totally obsessed with wearing his suit. As msaqibj said that it shows a weakness. I agree with you. My cousin's appearance looks the same at formal gatherings and no one appreciates his dress standard. When the rest of us wear suits (only on the special occasion) its admired more.

Usually my cousin tries to show that he is some top guy with power but the fact is that he is nothing for his age. Im more academically qualified than him and Im younger.

Comment

Working...
                              X