Experiences that make us who we are

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experiences that make us who we are

What is your biggest personality trait? and what experiences in life have made it a major player in your persona?

To begin, I can tell , my major trait was anger . It was driven by the fact that I lived away from loved one all through my childhood. Anger was a wild horse that I couldnt tame , it carried on with me into my career too , but in the form of ambition and competitiveness , and in my personal life in the form of lack of patience .

Eventually when i decided to face it head on , I realized the only thing that can help me is by letting go, forgiving, not doing it for myself but because it will make Allah happy.

I think the anger is much tamed now . Beyond my own expectation its calmed down immensely and now I try to focus on more positive experiences in life.

go on now , your turn , share away please
    The Prophet Muhammad SAW reported that the Satan said to Allah: "I shall continue to lead Thy servants astray as long as their spirits are in their bodies." And Allah replied: "(Then) I shall continue to pardon them as long as they ask for My forgiveness." [Al-Tirmidhi, Hadith 742]

Re: Experiences that make us who we are

Very good thread, Anger seems to be cultural and we tend to resolve issues as we saw our parents resolve issues. I think attending personal development courses helped me get rid of my anger and understanding that actions have consequences. Some of these courses taught me to respond to things and not react.

My biggest experience in life was perhaps was my seven years spent with my Gori ex. It kind of gave me a very good insight into the western thinking and how linear thinking differs from non-linear thinking.Goal setting, analyzing, strategizing, planning executing, motivation etc became a part of my life.

Comment

Such a great topic and such a vast horizon. I just think i've wasted a lot of time in my life and i could be somewhere far higher than where i'm now. But never too late.
      That being said, I just think my biggest trait is the learning process that I keep myself involved in. I try to learn from everyone and everyday. People I meet with, even strangers that I talk to randomly or the books I read or the shows that I watch. Life is all about getting to know new stuff. It just changes the perspective completely sometimes. I have an example I can give but may be some other time lol.
      Attitude is more important than facts.
      "Life is 10% what happens to us..and 90% of how we react to it"

Comment

Originally posted by SID_NY View Post
        Such a great topic and such a vast horizon. I just think i've wasted a lot of time in my life and i could be somewhere far higher than where i'm now. But never too late.
        That being said, I just think my biggest trait is the learning process that I keep myself involved in. I try to learn from everyone and everyday. People I meet with, even strangers that I talk to randomly or the books I read or the shows that I watch. Life is all about getting to know new stuff. It just changes the perspective completely sometimes. I have an example I can give but may be some other time lol.
        That is really smart, I looked for role models while raising kids and saw what great parents did and followed the example. Unlearning is the first and the most difficult part of learning also they say you are an average of 4 people closest to you so make sure you surround yourself with successful people. Als managing your self-talk is really important.

Comment

Very interesting thread!

I think my biggest trait is never giving up. Ever. If I want something then I work really hard towards it (whether that be school, work, relationships, etc) and when someone in my life doesn't have that loyalty it really upsets me.

Although I'm sure I'll make tons of experiences in life, but there's one that had happened where I learned so much about myself and I learned to adapt. Someone close to me let me down, broke my trust and ended up blaming me for the situation entirely. Since I am the "fixer" type I took 100% blame for it and wanted to make it all better. I thought that if I stepped back then I would be giving up. Which I never do. I started putting in more than was required. It wore me out and I was left in pain.

I later learned that I couldn't fix it all because it was never entirely my fault. I learned to forgive myself and the other person. I learned to only take blame for my mistakes and not everyone elses. I learned to become a stronger person.
          Those who are meant to be a positive influence in your life will stay and those who aren't, will not put in the effort and no matter what you do, you can't pull it together for two people. You can only do your part and leave the rest to God.

I've also learned to chill out a little, not take things too seriously and relax. Sometime's you just have to take a deep breath and let it ALL go!
          Last edited by Illuminate; Feb 28, 2017, 09:20 PM.
          “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”

Comment

I think my biggest trait was that I was too shy to tell what I want.and because of that I have missed so much and don't have a life that I wanted. but now when I know, I stand by my children and let them have their opinion.Hopefully they will have a better life and not too many regrets.

Comment

Such brilliant insight and sharings . We all learn from each other's experiences . Isnt it amazing how we all live ive so differently , we all go through such varied experiences and becomes such different people .
              The Prophet Muhammad SAW reported that the Satan said to Allah: "I shall continue to lead Thy servants astray as long as their spirits are in their bodies." And Allah replied: "(Then) I shall continue to pardon them as long as they ask for My forgiveness." [Al-Tirmidhi, Hadith 742]

Comment

Working...
              X