Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what to do when you don't know what to do

Hello friends,
    A little problem, I am have a little problem on what to do in university, as many of you might have had. Everyone wants me to do what they want. My whole family has different ideas. But I do not know what I want to choose as a career. Please don't tell me do what you want to do, because right now I am not sure on what I want to do.
    Do any of you have any suggestions on what type of major I should choose, what is in demand, I would be really greatful if you could help me out. Do any of you know if there is any future in Kinesiology? Please help me, I am really fustrated.
    Thanks.

Dear tor,

It really ones personel feeling to join a field. My mom wants me to be a doctor. Although i have interest in biology but i dont want to be a doctor. Everybody has his own feelings and should follow his own feelings. I saw your profile and its good that you live in toronto. I am also living in toronto. near victoria park and york mills. It seems to me that you are in grade 12 because the grade 13 students have already applied for the universities in december. Well, you should have made this desicion one or two years before this because now you have to take OAC courses and every major has its own pre-requisets. I know that I am going to an engineering, probably electrical. So I am doing my OAC's according to that. The field which have the highest demand is computers. Its really on the top. (I have no interest in this). After this is the enginering field and then others. The average required for these courses is pretty high. In U of T and waterloo (the best two) the average for all enginerings is more than 90. For computer sciences its high 80's. In universities like ryerson and queens its a little low. That's very brief but I advise you that try to find out your aptitude, your interest. Your school's consellor might help you. Where do you live in toronto? What grade are you in?

Good Bye

------------------
    MIRZA YASIR

[email protected]

mirzayasir.paklinks.com
    pafcollchaklala.paklinks.com

Comment

First thing you need to do is move out of your house, live few months on your own. Travel , may be a back-pack style trip around

.. maybe Europe.. or your desired destination. Just have a feel for this world .. how people do business .. maybe get to know yourself better, and explore all this on your own without any parental backing.

Once you have done that, I am sure you'll have some kind of idea about takin' something

which will take you very far ahead in life, and make sure that you have fun while doin' it.. very important for you brain..

Comment

oops, here comes work!!
        Student Advisor...but the advice is free for GupShuppers!

Hi TOR19, most of what mirzayasir has said is right. However, you need not worry just as yet...phew . When you're heading out to University, you will have the opportunity to decide your major according to your interest.
        For example at U of T, if you're heading into Eng. Sciences, then you have one year to take general courses and depending upon your grades in different courses, you can opt for your major. Also, if you plan to go into Life Sciences and/or Computer Science, you'd be initially admitted in the Faculty of Arts and Science, where all students have to take a certain set of courses. You do have a choice, but the good thing is that your major is undeclared.

Also if you go to U of T, the best thing I like about it is that you can build your own program eg. take courses from everywhere and customize to your interest. All you gotta do is get it approved from the Dean's office. Who knows...next year that program might be listed in the calendar.

Hope that helps...
        I'm at U of T, third year Software Engineering and Mathematics. If you specifically need info about any of these, feel free to ask.

Ciao.
        For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining - and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction - Khalil Gibran

Comment

Thanks for all your responses.
          Outlaw: I don't think that my parents will approve of me travelling on my own or just go to europe by myself. Why? First of all I am a girl, and second of all they don't think that it is right nor safe.
          Mirza: I am in grade 13 like you. Yeh you are right I should have decided on that a year or two ago. I had but then everyone started to change my mind. What school do you go to? I have applied to Business at York and McMaster, Life sciences at UofT, but I really don't want to go to UofT sorry Umar. I went there just recently on class trip, and everything seems so far apart and old. I think I will have to stick to York because it is just a five minute walk from where I live.
          Umer: Engineering doesn't really interest me. But I hope to find something soon, and when i do i will be sure to tell you
          Good luck at UofT.

Comment

Working...
          X