No announcement yet.

how to dispose of prints/publications that have quranic ayats or Allah's name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the proper way to dispose of books, magazines or calendars that have a Quranic ayat or Allah's name printed on it? We're in the process of packing to shift houses, and I have stacks of various papers (kids masjid school tests/handouts, old textbooks or Islamic coloring books where the binding has fallen apart), Ramadan calendars and other printed materials of the sort. I can't just put in the recycling bin. What is the proper protocol?

(Didn't know where to post this...mods please move if necessary)

Re: how to dispose of prints/publications that have quranic ayats or Allah's name

Couldn't you donate the books to local Masjid? The rest of the stuff, I'm not too sure.
    Boycott Indian economy. Buy Pakistani!

Comment

Teggy Bhai, the books are all coming apart at the bindings...pages falling out. And they are mainly workbooks, so the pages are all written on and marked over or colored on. Is there any edict about proper handling of such papers? My husband said he thought he heard that a other masjid in our city (that we don't ever really go to) has a bin where they collect such things, but I'm not sure. We may have to go check and see.

I wonder how they handle disposal though?

Comment

And the office/school admin room in our masjid where we attend is already full of stuff people just drop off...I'd hate to add to the clutter of there is a way I can handle/dispose of these times myself

Comment

Re: how to dispose of prints/publications that have quranic ayats or Allah's name

unless its full kuran or a para.. put it in with other paper in recycle bin, or in a transparent bag along with other full or shredded paper, so it wont fly all over.

If you can't stop worrying say that when you do it "sin upon monk" "sin upon monk"
          like that.

BTW what better use it can serve then become paper again, saving some trees ??

Remember prophet said "he who plant two tree goes to heaven." I guess he who save 2 tree would get me rewards too.
          ﺃﷲ ﻧﯣﺮ ﺇﺴﻣﺇﯣﺇﺕ ﯣﺇﻠﺄﺮﺾ_ Best cheese-maker of monkVille

Comment

^^
            Lol. You have surely devised quite a scheme to earn sawaab. If it's saving tree, brotha Monk goes to Jannah for helping save trees. And if it's a despicable act, then Quran says "None shall bear the burden of others."

Originally posted by khattichic View Post
            Teggy Bhai, the books are all coming apart at the bindings...pages falling out. And they are mainly workbooks, so the pages are all written on and marked over or colored on. Is there any edict about proper handling of such papers? My husband said he thought he heard that a other masjid in our city (that we don't ever really go to) has a bin where they collect such things, but I'm not sure. We may have to go check and see.

I wonder how they handle disposal though? http://www.paklinks.com/gs/images/smilies/hmmm.gif
            Originally posted by khattichic View Post
            And the office/school admin room in our masjid where we attend is already full of stuff people just drop off...I'd hate to add to the clutter of there is a way I can handle/dispose of these times myself

Furqaan Recycling - Your one stop for Qur'anic & Scriptural Recycling

or

In the name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful
            With regards to disposing and getting rid of unwanted Islamic literature, many classical jurists (fuqaha) state that the best way to get rid of it is to bury it in a place where people normally would not walk. There is also nothing wrong in casting the literature in flowing water by tying it with something heavy. Alternatively, one may burn the Islamic literature, but only after erasing the name of Allah Most High, His angels and Messengers. (See: Radd al-Muhtar ala al-Durr al-Mukhtar, 5/271 and other classical Fiqh references)
            Now, shredding Islamic literature is akin to burning it, hence the same rule would apply, in that it will be permitted to use a paper shredder to shred it, but only after erasing the name of Allah Most High, His angels and His Messengers. Also, one should avoid throwing the shredded remains in the bin; rather, one should bury the remains somewhere where people would not normally walk.
            Note that the above ruling is only with regards to Islamic literature such as papers, Islamic books and other such material. As far as the Qur'an is concerned, there is a separate ruling concerning its disposal.

And Allah knows best

Muhammad ibn Adam al-Kawthari
            Darul Iftaa, Leicester, UK

Would it be permissible to use a paper shredder to dispose of material with Qur'anic verses on
            Or, Add it to the infamous pile, and donate to the masjid generously in hope that eventually the funds may be used to dispose of the pile properly, and you would have lent a hand in doing so.
            Boycott Indian economy. Buy Pakistani!

Comment

I can bet that some mosque in Dallas must have bins for retired Quran pages. Check internet
              People are afraid of what they don't understand

Comment

That's interesting.

I wonder hte same about wedding invites and just other writings....
                The grass ain't always greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Comment

burn and/or bury them. that's the acceptable methid of disposing of Qur'aanic material.
                  Life is NOT measured by the number of breaths we take but the moments that take our breath away!!!
                  16 breaths a minute, 23040 a day...NO one knows which one will be their LAST!

Comment

^^

I doubt this method! do you have any evidence that this practice is right for disposing

Them why are there huge conflicts & headlines over Quran burning around the world?

Comment

Originally posted by Hinamajid View Post
                      ^^

I doubt this method! do you have any evidence that this practice is right for disposing

Them why are there huge conflicts & headlines over Quran burning around the world?
                      there are two different motives for doing so. if you do it to disrespect the Qur'aan then of course it's a sin as well as cause for rioting but if you do it for the sake of disposing off the material with respect, it's ok...how else would you do it?

i remember we used to do this in my village with the torn/unreadable sipaaraas [which is part of the Qur'aan] every year. if it wasn't the acceptable way to dispose off Qur'aanic pages, i'm sure we wouldn't have been doing this.
                      Life is NOT measured by the number of breaths we take but the moments that take our breath away!!!
                      16 breaths a minute, 23040 a day...NO one knows which one will be their LAST!

Comment

If you can give it your masjid or local council where they collect such things since it will be recycled (i think). Otherwise just burn it.
                        The Most Beautiful Woman On Earth is Aishwarya Rai

Comment

Ive heard You can throw it in flowing water like sea or river or canals but not sure
                          "This world (i.e., its pleasures and duration) in comparison with the Hereafter is (similar to the amount of water) one gets when he puts his finger in the sea. Let him then see what it returns with".[Muslim].

Comment

Originally posted by prototype:9719952
                            Ive heard You can throw it in flowing water like sea or river or canals but not sure
                            that is actually the most preferred method.
                            People are afraid of what they don't understand

Comment

that's what we do as well..
                              "This world (i.e., its pleasures and duration) in comparison with the Hereafter is (similar to the amount of water) one gets when he puts his finger in the sea. Let him then see what it returns with".[Muslim].

Comment

Working...
                              X