Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One realistic thing for Pakistan

Salam Alaikum,

Name one practical, and realistic thing you can do individually to make Pakistan better. Each individual action may lead to others following the cause, and before you know it slowly but surely good is repelling evil.

Think of a petri dish. One drop of the right kind of formula can push back bad growth. Once your formula works, others will come in droves to implement it as well. Neighborhoods transform; then towns, then cities, then you have a Pakistan that it was meant to be. (inshaAllah) Don't worry about politicians; they're a lost cause and a Fitnah for the sincere folks to survive. They're meant to distract, discourage, and create hurdles. Pakistanis are meant to be resilient, and overcome those hurdles through integrity, honesty, goodwill, and true sense of responsibility to others who are less fortunate.

Me: I can learn to give to the needy without any desire for anything in return. Maybe the Duaa of the sweaty day laborer may benefit me much more than paltry currency can.
    Boycott Indian economy. Buy Pakistani!

Re: One realistic thing for Pakistan

any one of these 22 random acts of kindness can be done on individual level

my personal fav is giving way to other vehicles and pedestrians, something that im used to doing in US

We are all in the same game, just different levels•
    Dealing with the same hell, just different devils•

Comment

Not to litter and throw garbage everywhere...... i often try to 'force' people with me to not throw stuff...... half the time it works...half the time it doesn't....
      Insulting and inflammatory signatures are not allowed, but posts are

Comment

Support Civil rights organizations.
        Support Secular govt.
        Support rights for all, including all faiths, atheists and agnostics
        . Pay taxes.
        Treat working class with respect.
        Take public transport. Support higher fuel taxes for automobiles and subsidies for public transportation.
        Work harder. Waste less time.

These are essential pillars for any democracy. Or any nation. Especially in sub continent.
        Why isn't the Dividend story among the featured threads?

Comment

Originally posted by Southie View Post
          Support Civil rights organizations.
          Support Secular govt.
          Support rights for all, including all faiths, atheists and agnostics
          . Pay taxes.
          Treat working class with respect.
          Take public transport. Support higher fuel taxes for automobiles and subsidies for public transportation.
          Work harder. Waste less time.

These are essential pillars for any democracy. Or any nation. Especially in sub continent.
          Read the OP again. It's very specific in nature. Name one practical, realistic thing you can do for Pakistan is the topic.

Comment

Originally posted by teggy View Post
            Read the OP again. It's very specific in nature. Name one practical, realistic thing you can do for Pakistan is the topic.
            There is no one thing. There are several. I cant pick and choose which is most important. I consider all of them equally important.

I am out .

Thanks!
            Why isn't the Dividend story among the featured threads?

Comment

I think the education is the most imp thing that Pakistan needs , So I wish n hope for teaching the needy n poor children.
              Other than this A TRUST as Ansar Barniz Trust to help the poor
              My Attitude :
              If you want to say bad things about me behind my back,
              Come in front of me, I'll tell you more 3:)

Comment

Given my scope of practice, I would like to one day iA open up a preventative care center of some sort nothing big but a place where general public can come in for free immunizations, screenings, and examinations. I would like to work with women in particular about preventative care strategies anywhere from conception to giving safe birth, breast feeding and hand washing. So many illnesses, diseases and health problems in Pakistan can be prevented just by educating them at the right time and when it's needed. For example, if I can sit with one family with history of Active Tuberculosis, I can explain to them that it is an airborne illness so the more they expose their germs to each other (sneeze, cough, eat off of each other plates), there is a higher chance of them spreading it to others. I'm not looking to treat or diagnose it per say but atleast guide them in the right direction or refer them to the correct health care center/and or physician. And explain things/issues to them at the level they can understand.
                Out beyond ideas of rightdoing and wrongdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheeda Pistol View Post
                  any one of these 22 random acts of kindness can be done on individual level

my personal fav is giving way to other vehicles and pedestrians, something that im used to doing in US

Nice, nice.

Originally posted by Faloooda View Post
                  Given my scope of practice, I would like to one day iA open up a preventative care center of some sort nothing big but a place where general public can come in for free immunizations, screenings, and examinations. I would like to work with women in particular about preventative care strategies anywhere from conception to giving safe birth, breast feeding and hand washing. So many illnesses, diseases and health problems in Pakistan can be prevented just by educating them at the right time and when it's needed. For example, if I can sit with one family with history of Active Tuberculosis, I can explain to them that it is an airborne illness so the more they expose their germs to each other (sneeze, cough, eat off of each other plates), there is a higher chance of them spreading it to others. I'm not looking to treat or diagnose it per say but atleast guide them in the right direction or refer them to the correct health care center/and or physician. And explain things/issues to them at the level they can understand.
                  A health care center with a focus on prevention of diseases, especially catering to women. Great! You have my best wishes.

Originally posted by Blacklisted Prince View Post
                  I think the education is the most imp thing that Pakistan needs , So I wish n hope for teaching the needy n poor children.
                  Other than this A TRUST as Ansar Barniz Trust to help the poor
                  True, education is so instrumental to lifting an entire family out of poverty and yet so many people do not have access to it at all. Not to mention the educational institutions that are there for the under-privileged in Pak sadly often leave a lot to be desired.

Originally posted by teggy View Post

Me: I can learn to give to the needy without any desire for anything in return.
                  Teggy, perhaps you already do, but you (and others) can also help the needy by donating to The Citizens Foundation or DIL. The latter, Developments in Literacy is an initiative of Pakistani-Americans that manages 175+ schools in Pak, employing over 800 teachers and serving about 17,000 students, 66% of whom are females. (Recently, a DIL student was one of the two students selected from all over Pakistan to attend a summer program at Vassar College in New York!). The Citizens Foundation has established over 900 schools in Pak which together have an enrollment of 126,000 students and support about 9000 jobs, including that of 6300 teachers. Some of their students make it to top universities with at least one TCF's alumna attending Summer Exchange Program at Harvard Business School!
                  Last edited by goodname; Aug 26, 2013, 04:50 AM.
                  "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." US Declaration of Independence.

Comment

20$ a month, and you can send a child to a good school.
                    Trick is to have your ear open while talking to people back home.

Not like here here... I have money.... who wants to go to school.
                    But more like..... how is sister doing.... long talk... how is brother doing long talk.
                    In those long talks there would be references of maids, their husbands their children. There small difficulties.

Now you know where to put 20$ or 60% or 100% a month.

Don't go blindly after the models which is successful for developed countries.
                    Use the model you are families with, but not always visible to you
                    ﺃﷲ ﻧﯣﺮ ﺇﺴﻣﺇﯣﺇﺕ ﯣﺇﻠﺄﺮﺾ_ Best cheese-maker of monkVille

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                      20$ a month, and you can send a child to a good school.
                      Trick is to have your ear open while talking to people back home.

Not like here here... I have money.... who wants to go to school.
                      But more like..... how is sister doing.... long talk... how is brother doing long talk.
                      In those long talks there would be references of maids, their husbands their children. There small difficulties.

Now you know where to put 20$ or 60% or 100% a month.

Don't go blindly after the models which is successful for developed countries.
                      Use the model you are families with, but not always visible to you
                      Very valid advise. Thanks bro.

Comment

Originally posted by goodname View Post
                        Nice, nice.

A health care center with a focus on prevention of diseases, especially catering to women. Great! You have my best wishes.

True, education is so instrumental to lifting an entire family out of poverty and yet so many people do not have access to it at all. Not to mention the educational institutions that are there for the under-privileged in Pak sadly often leave a lot to be desired.

Teggy, perhaps you already do, but you (and others) can also help the needy by donating to The Citizens Foundation or DIL. The latter, Developments in Literacy is an initiative of Pakistani-Americans that manages 175+ schools in Pak, employing over 800 teachers and serving about 17,000 students, 66% of whom are females. (Recently, a DIL student was one of the two students selected from all over Pakistan to attend a summer program at Vassar College in New York!). The Citizens Foundation has established over 900 schools in Pak which together have an enrollment of 126,000 students and support about 9000 jobs, including that of 6300 teachers. Some of their students make it to top universities with at least one TCF's alumna attending Summer Exchange Program at Harvard Business School!
                        Are you personally invovled with DIL? Where are they more concentrated? Urban or Rural? Thank you so much for the information. InshaAllah we should all do whatever's possible to help.
                        Last edited by teggy; Aug 26, 2013, 09:39 PM.

Comment

to be fair N kind.
                          Life is NOT measured by the number of breaths we take but the moments that take our breath away!!!
                          16 breaths a minute, 23040 a day...NO one knows which one will be their LAST!

Comment

Being courteous to each other. It is in our control and does not cost anything. I felt a lack of it when I went to Pakistan. Not many people show courtesy to each other. I think it's contagious. If I am driving and someone gives me way, then I end up doing that for another driver.
                            Great thread by the way. At times the start of these little things can have a huge impact on the quality of life.

Comment

Originally posted by ButtSb View Post
                              Not to litter and throw garbage everywhere...... i often try to 'force' people with me to not throw stuff...... half the time it works...half the time it doesn't....
                              Littering is my biggest pet peeve. I remember when I went to Pakistan for the first time. I held on to the wrappers until I would find a garbage bin or get home. My cousins and family kept on asking me to just throw the garbage on the road as everyone does it and a few more wrappers won't make a difference. And I remember telling them that this is exactly the thought process responsible for bringing Pakistan to it's current state.

Comment

Working...
                              X