Investing in diamonds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Investing in diamonds

Is it worth buying diamonds and precious gems from a business point of view?

What if in 10 years time you decide to sell them, will you get your money back?
    I'm quite illiterate, but I read a lot.

Investing in diamonds

It depends on the cut, clarity and carat...and I would assume that uncut/loose diamonds would hold their resale value over set jewelry

Comment

Re: Investing in diamonds

like khatti said it depends on the C's... and to some extent its true loos diamonds are better for that purpose as opposed to set jewelry...but even in set jewelry if your diamond is large (>2 or 3 carats), the cut and clarity are desirable it will hold its value. A small diamond (less than or equal to one carat)is not a good investment, it actually loses its value (believe it or not)
      Oh Allah, give me patience and
      GIVE IT TO ME NOW!!!

Comment

Why is this not in the business section?
        Why isn't the Dividend story among the featured threads?

Comment

Originally posted by hareem01 View Post

I don't know notn abt diamonds. However, there appears to be a flaw in your criterion for what is a good investment (or business POV as you put it). The other ladies also fall into the trap - that holding its resale value is a sufficient criterion.

The question one should assist is "what is the desired rate of return above the inflation rate?". My Doha contacts are working on getting me the relevant rate in Doha. Assuming this rate is 4%, and you demand a 3% rate of return above inflation, the actual expected or desired rate of return is 3+4 = 7%.

So in 10 yrs your jewelry has to double in price (after all transaction costs).

Compliments to the chefni for getting through a post w/o spelling mistakes.
          Last edited by Southie; Aug 24, 2013, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Interesting video i watching the other day about diamonds.What makes a diamond priceless? - James May's Q&A (Ep 7) - Head Squeeze - YouTube
            i am cereal you guys

Comment

you need yahoodi friends for diamond business.
              Insulting and inflammatory signatures are not allowed, but posts are

Comment

Diamonds !
                Be someone that makes YOU happy

Comment

I love Diamonds
                  Well jahan tk I knw sb se best business ho sakta hai diamonds ka.
                  Nothing is precious than diamonds .
                  But before investing , u shud knw what a diamond is ?
                  Complete info honi chahye n us ki history kahan se belong krta hai kahan ka hai etc sb pta hona chahye
                  Plus as said cut clarity n carat , iski b info honi chahye cuz price ka farq isi se prta hai

Jb tk aap k paas knowledge n experience ni hai , aapki investment kisi kaam ki ni !
                  My Attitude :
                  If you want to say bad things about me behind my back,
                  Come in front of me, I'll tell you more 3:)

Comment

blood diamonds?

Comment

miners in south Africa do get treated like crap. If fair wages paid...

Comment

Originally posted by hareem01 View Post

The diamond business is quite dirty - You planning on becoming a diamond trader alongside home education - brilliant cover that would be ...
                        Last edited by psyah; Aug 25, 2013, 05:59 AM.
                        The Prophet(SAW) said:
                        "I am leaving you two things and you will never go astray as long as you cling to them -- they are the Book of Allah and my Sunnah." [Reported by Al- Haakim - Sahih].

Comment

Thanks for the replies...I'm not getting into any business. Just asking a question.

Comment

Originally posted by Janjua39 View Post
                            blood diamonds?
                            brilliant movie!

Comment

I can imagine it now ...

"Ok kids sit down and do your tables ..." then she walks in to the living room to host her guests ... "Just a second I'll bring my little girls out", then she walks over to her bookcase presses a couple of books inwards and moves some to the right and a secret chamber opens; her guests eyes begin to widen. She presses another button and a draw is released, she pulls out a black velvet covered tray and presents it before them.

She has a gun strapped to he silk shalwar ... and sits elegantly on a seat beside the visitors.

As they peer in to the soft adornment, their faces brighten up, quite literally so too, as all the reflecting rays of light were being channeled outward. The female, whose name was unknown, pushed a bony finger and thumb in to the tray picks up the biggest round brilliant that she could see and said after picking it up, "Oh, can I see this one?"

"You already are ... " hareem replied ... "That one is worth $3 Million", the visitor raises her head and catches sight of the shiny metalic implement on hareem's thigh ... trembling the lady returns it to the box.

"That's nice ... " said the scrawny lady in a slightly hard-to-breathe way ...
                              The Prophet(SAW) said:
                              "I am leaving you two things and you will never go astray as long as you cling to them -- they are the Book of Allah and my Sunnah." [Reported by Al- Haakim - Sahih].

Comment

Working...
                              X