Education Reforms in Pakistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Education Reforms in Pakistan

Taken from today's Dawn - fewer schools now, more female illiterates, less male illiterates weirdly. What I don't get is if there is free education available in Pakistan, why are some families still not choosing to send their kids to school? Instead they employ them in child labor. :

"Although the literacy rate in Pakistan has increased over the years but because of high population growth, the absolute number of illiterates has increased. At present, the literacy rate of 10+ age population as well and the net enrolment rate at the primary level is about 58 and 68pc respectively, with higher gender disparity index in literacy rate than in primary enrolment rate."

"However, literacy figures recently released by the Unesco Institute for Statistics reveal that absolute number of female illiterates has risen from 31,101,011 in 2005 to 32,106,848 in 2009. That is, about one million females were added to the illiterate lot. On the other hand, it is encouraging to note that there was a decrease of about 0.6 million in the number of male illiterates during the same period. However, this has resulted in an increase in gender disparity.
    This is mainly because of the faulty education policies during the previous regime. Available data indicates that during the Musharraf government, instead of expanding primary education in the public sector, the number of primary schools decreased from 159,330 in 1998-99 to 156,400 in 2009-10. His government implemented a devolution plan and accordingly the primary, middle and secondary education was devolved to the district governments. This was done on the pretext that the decentralisation process would enable the district governments to effectively manage the education system. However, the devolution policy resulted in decreasing the enrolment rate, especially in the public-sector schools and closure of about 3,000 schools during the last decade."

Link to article Female literacy: Development in reverse - DAWN.COM
    I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Re: Education Reforms in Pakistan

great PCG, i'm glad to see you asking thought provoking questions on social issues and situations in Pakistan in general. keep it up!

it's much needed indeed where the gap in quality of education available to rich N poor is narrowed. one system for ALL like we have in Canada...up to grade 12.
    Life is NOT measured by the number of breaths we take but the moments that take our breath away!!!
    16 breaths a minute, 23040 a day...NO one knows which one will be their LAST!

Comment

PCG quality of government schools can be pretty low depending on the area. Parents don't have enough money to feed family, therefore children are forced to work. We need to work on improving public education system in Pakistan and provide people with respectable employment opertunities. This is the only way to eliminate child labor.
      May Allah bring peace in Pakistan. Ameen
      Aray Logo Tumhara Kiya
      Main Jano Mera, Mera Khuda janay-

Comment

I haven't spoken to any one for almost all day, so I feel like talking.
        So here...

Mother of chimpanzees, jane goodall, had so much set backs saving them from people in Africa.
        What ever she planned, with help of govt, it failed people just kept killing poor animals who are almost as smart as humans.
        Decade later, when she got older and wiser, she realized she could not sustain chimpanzees with out
        making their environment sustainable. Which include people. Till people were helped out of poverty there was no way for any one to stop them from killing chimpanzees.

Now change chimpanzees with Pakistani kids
        and people with parents. You get your answers.
        ﺃﷲ ﻧﯣﺮ ﺇﺴﻣﺇﯣﺇﺕ ﯣﺇﻠﺄﺮﺾ_ Best cheese-maker of monkVille

Comment

Adults need to be educated and employed first. It doesn't matter to them if primary schools are free. They just send the kids for work and can enjoy their earnings. The employees feed the kids whatever so parents ka woh kharcha bhi bach gya. If sent as maids or housework,the family is responsible for their shadi too. So basically these parents just give birth,raise them till they're 6-7yo and send them to work and enjoy their kamaai for the rest of their life. Such people need to be castrated because they have atleast 10 kids. 10 children to them mean 10 sources of income... So why waste by sending to schools?

The only way to start working on this aspect could be paying monthly stipend to parents sending kids to schools. They only understand paisay ki zabaan !
          "This world (i.e., its pleasures and duration) in comparison with the Hereafter is (similar to the amount of water) one gets when he puts his finger in the sea. Let him then see what it returns with".[Muslim].

Comment

Well said, Mr. Monk. Wish there were more days when you haven't talked to anyone. Good stuff.

Unless you level the playing field in terms of poverty issues, free education alone wont be the solution.
            Why isn't the Dividend story among the featured threads?

Comment

Is it that they're enjoying their kids earnings or dealing out their kids for labor out of majboori just to feed the people in the family?
              I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Comment

I would bet it is the latter in 99.9% of the cases.
                Why isn't the Dividend story among the featured threads?

Comment

Working...
                X