Immigration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Immigration

I came across this story and it's bogus, but I'm being told this kind of thing happens in Pakistan.

Birth certifcates back in the day like in the 60's and 70's were not accurately filed. In fact, I don't know when it became emphasized to file a proper birth certificate on your kid, because I was hearing that in the old days that families sometimes did not even fill out a birth certificate.

Your family filed a birth certificate but they changed your name later and you grow up getting called a different name. Then you start school, and your new name gets registered, and to get you in earlier, your parents lie about your birthdate, and say you were born in a earlier year, so you seem older. So you get a seat, and now throughout school, your birth date is completely different than the one on your birth certificate, but it doesn't matter, because your birth certificate's name doesn't even match your name on paper in school.

So when it comes to immigration, how does this issue get dealt with when immigrating out of Pakistan? I was told that what matters for identification is the information that the schools and colleges have on you, and that many people don't even have a birth certificate, so they have to go back and get one made retrospectively. So, if there are errors like birth dates that are wrong or names that are misspelled or wrong, then you just go with what the school has on file, because all your test scores, and academic records are under your new name and erroneous birthdate.

:-/
    I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Re: Immigration

Are you thinking about importing a guy from Pakistan ?

Comment

I'm suspicious this is a bunch of lies

Comment

My mom is two years younger than her real age. It was increased so she could start school early...can't remember the story. Know other cases like that as well. My youngest khala, out of her own fancy, decides to change her name when she first joined primary school...she simply liked the name....told it to the headmaster or whoever was in charge of admissions at the ti e and they wrote it down without verifying or asking fir a birth certificate for confirmation...and if there wasn't one...then any documents will reveal the latter name n not the original. Yes, there was a laxity with records at that time. One of my aunts...her kids were born in the 80s like me...i've heard she changed dates as well to get an earlier admission.

I could be wrong, but I get the feeling he is not lying.

Comment

This is a relatively common problem immigrants deal with. Believe it or not, USCIS actually does have guidelines for this (Not sure about other countries).

When a birth certificate is not available or USCIS rejects a birth certificate b/c its not "official enough" (btw, this happened with me when I came to the U.S.)........applicants can submit sworn affidavits from their parents or other close relatives listing details of the birth that's usually found in birth certificates.....ALONG with a non availability of birth certificate affidavit from the local government/embassy etc. stating that this is a common issue for people from that region/country.

As for wrong birth dates/names etc.....yes, most people just stick with what's on their record b/c it's just easier (ie. my dad did this). No reason to make things even more complicated with USCIS.

Comment

There's an year's difference between my mom's real age and what's on paper. She never had a birth certificate. Her matriculation records were used as her id. The reason she's older on paper is cause she wanted a job that had a minimum age.

And her last name got changed too. This was by pure accident. Somebody put "Begum" as her last name and it just stuck. That "Begum" is now on my birth certificate as a part of my mom's maiden name.

She probably got some sort of birth certificate made when she filed immigration. But this was more than two decades ago.

Comment

Yes it does, my mother was born in November, her birth certificate say October, I was born on the 6 and birth certificate says 5th, my bother's birth certificate doesn't have my mothers name on it.
              Oh and my brother has a different name on birth certificate, school record, and passport. My first name on my birth certificate and school record has hyphens, however, I got rid of them when we applied for US immigration.
              May Allah bring peace in Pakistan. Ameen
              Aray Logo Tumhara Kiya
              Main Jano Mera, Mera Khuda janay-

Comment

Its pretty common. In pakistan, it happens all the time, even today. Could be all sort of reasons, starting school early etc etc. Birth date is mostly not an issue for pakistanis and most people just stick with the date written on paper. Heck, birth date is nothing. I know people who immigrated to UK (we're talking 60s/70s) as their brothers children, under an uncles name, under someone elses name. All too common.
                Procrastination at its finest .. Thats me =)

Comment

Its suuuuuuuuuuper common...he isn't lying.
                  Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames. ~ Rumi

Comment

is his age 90 yrs on paper?
                    Simple ain't easy.

Comment

Paper or plastic?

Neither.

Cloth.
                      Why isn't the Dividend story among the featured threads?

Comment

I got my birth certificate made from Pakistan for Rs.500 some five years ago... based on details provided by me at that time.

Comment

Yes this is so common even in Hawaii ya!

or was it Kenya...............I can't recall now
                          We don't see things as they are; we see things as we are!

Comment

Thanks, Obama, this is true. If you as president of the US have issues with this, then why not others.

Comment

^ All kidding aside PCG, on a serious note I have known Desis who put down their ages two or three years younger than they actually were, in order to get admission in school, or be eligible for some service, however they are suffering the consequences of not being able to collect Social Security at their real age and having to wait out those years to get full benefits in USA.
                              We don't see things as they are; we see things as we are!

Comment

Working...
                              X