Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It doesn't take much

Assallaamu'alaikum,

We often attach ourselves to the material things in life, and as a result tend to neglect our responsibilities. This is becoming more and more evident in society, as we've fallen victims to our own desires, thus overcoming any obstacles just to satisfy our personal goals, sometimes at the expense of others. Reflecting upon our environment as a whole, it seems as though religion and family values have taken a back seat, if invited in at all. In the past it was religion that dictated 'family values', and today that phrase has taken a whole new meaning, as our careers seduced by financial reward often dictate our lives. But our wealth will not be accompanying us to the grave, rather our deeds and the supplications of our children. So we should try and make the most of life by not allowing our priorities to go astray. After all, our family has certain rights over us. The following was sent to me by a friend:

The man came home from work late again, tired and irritated, to find his 5 year old son waiting for him at the door. "Daddy, may I ask you a question?"
    "Yeah, sure, what is it?" replied the man.
    "Daddy, how much money do you make an hour?"
    "That's none of your business! What makes you ask such a thing?" the man said angrily.
    "I just want to know. Please tell me, how much do you make an hour?" pleaded the little boy.
    "If you must know, I make $20.00 an hour."
    "Oh," the little boy replied, head bowed. Looking up, he said, "Daddy, may I borrow $10.00 please?"
    The father was furious. "If the only reason you wanted to know how much money I make is just so you can borrow some to buy a silly toy or some other nonsense, then you march yourself straight to your room and go to bed. Think about why you're being so selfish. I work long, hard hours everyday and don't have time for such childish games."
    The little boy quietly went to his room and shut the door. The man sat down and started to get even madder about the little boy's
    questioning. How dare he ask such questions only to get some money.
    After an hour or so, The man >had calmed down, and started to think he may have been a little hard on his son.
    Maybe there was something he really needed to buy with that $10.00, and he really didn't ask for money very often. The man went to the door of the little boy's room and opened the door. "Are you asleep son?" he asked.
    "No daddy, I'm awake, "replied the boy.
    "I've been thinking, maybe I was too hard on you earlier," said the man. "It's been a long day and I took my aggravation out on you. Here's that $10.00 you asked for."
    The little boy sat straight up, beaming. "Oh, thank you daddy!" he yelled. Then, reaching under his pillow, he pulled out some more crumpled up bills. The man, seeing the boy already had money, started to get angry again. The little boy slowly counted out his money, then looked up at the man.
    "Why did you want more money if you already had some?" the father grumbled.
    "Because I didn't have enough, but now I do," the little boy replied. "Daddy, I have $20.00 now. Can I buy an hour of your time?"

[This message has been edited by Hasnain (edited February 17, 1999).]

Thank you for such a touching anecdote.
    I hope that we can all learn from this.

Comment

My God!,
      Thankyou Hasnain...
      rullaa diyaa yaar.
      For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining - and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction - Khalil Gibran

Comment

Muzna, I can't agree more.Its truly a very touching story.

Hasnain,where did you get this story? I hope its alright that I have posted it on SCP newsgroup so others can learn from it.Thanks for sharing it with us.

Comment

Thats really nice, thanks for sharing that Hasnain

Comment

How sad!!!!!

Comment

Yup, that's quite a story there!

Comment

Thanks Hasnain. It hits you even more if you have children. If you really think about it our lives can be made simpler by us cutting down on our "can do without" needs.

Later on
                Zman

Comment

Assallaamu 'alaikum,

When i received this story, i also found it quite touching, in more way than one. It certainly means a lot more if you have children, but also if you are fond of kids, and love others for the sake of Allaah(SWT), rather than on superficial grounds only for the sake of being related.

sraza,

A friend emailed me the story a few weeks ago. Yes, by all means it's okay to post it for others to read. Umm ... pardon my ignorance, but what is the 'SCR newsgroup', if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

Working...
                  X