Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Technological progress really the way forward?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Technological progress really the way forward?

Assalam Alaikum

I'm not saying that Islam is against tech progress, but, is it really the only value which can take us forward? Why do we neglect social progress and seem to think that technology can solve our problems because it can make our tasks more efficient.

One example: The sewage system was first started in the Islamic state, it reflected social values, i.e. cleanliness.

The only value that technology represents nowadays is profit and our cousins in Pakistan and elsewhere wonder why we're not happy in the west with all this technology.

Assalam Alaikum

What is the difference between sewege system and Pentium III chip?..nothing....They are both technologies relative to their time.

I'm am sure back then someone must have said "Sewage system is too high tech why don't these lazy people just walk to field to do their business".

Oh yeah..when I was young I walked 25 miles to school, in the snow, up hill, both ways. We didn't have buses! Technology....foooey!!

[This message has been edited by ak (edited February 10, 1999).]

Comment

ak
      Hills, snow , mountains
      where are from ?
      Mudasser
      You gave a cheap example to show that we should not care about the advancement and technology. Are in your mind. This is the example of our mentality approach. People over here are taliking about next centuries and its prospects and your are talking about
      sewage system. Look that what the lack of education and technology has done to us. We can not even think "high".

[This message has been edited by Fatah (edited February 11, 1999).]

Comment

Mudasar gave a very good example of the Sewage system. The muslims were not the first but they did excell in this sceince during the middle ages.
        When The muslims arrived in Egypt they found certain parts of the Nile clogged and static. This had caused many problems. The muslims managed to revitalize parts of the Nile and reorganized the clean flow of water. In so doing they reduced desease and increased fertitility.

Comment

Mudasser

Yes, I think I see what you're saying - that technology is very important, but it should also be geared towards the social values that we hold (or should hold). After all, on a limited budget, it's our values which will determine whether there should be more R&D conducted on cloning, defence or telecommunications (just examples).

Comment

Fatah:

Oh ho! "Hills, snow , mountains where are from ?"......just joking....you know how old people always talk about how they had it...sorry bad delivery.

Comment

Assalam Alaikum

Wouldn't technology be more useful if it represented what we need instead of what we want?

Assalam Alaikum

Comment

If you build it they will come.

Comment

Research and development is important to the development of our communities. It isn't however the only factor necessary for progress. It is one in a list of many. It should neither be ignored or taken as a panacea for all of our deficiencies.

Comment

Every one knows about that. So whats the solution?

Comment

Assalam Alaikum

Achtung,

The problem is people are beginning to see the 'pentium III chip' as a solution to their problems whilst most of our problems are related to us being Human.

For example, take crime, crime rates are increasing and people turn to technology to try to solve this problem. We have car and house alarms, CCTV, security coded this and that, locks, authorisation checks etc, but the problem still remains.

Since there are many reasons why people turn to crime there will be many solutions. But, everything that is done so far seem to be partial solutions, which only sweep aside the problem for another day.

We still don't have clean water even though we live in the 'developed countries'

'the land of the free' where you continually fear loss of your possessions, wealth and trust nobody.

Comment

Technological progress does make our life easier but it never brings our moral up.A living example is America. Being an advanced country but lack of moral values they bombed the civilians.

What is tech.?Science at work and science is knowledge and the first surrah was IQRA-read.
                        And Prophet had said that "ilm hasil karo chahay tum ko cheen hi jana paray"
                        I beleive that technological advancement is necessary for us and we should get the highest level of education both men and women(even we work or not we must have educaton it pays off).
                        Technological progress is very essential for us to survive in this world and Islamic teachings are a guarantee for success in this world and after death.

------------------

Comment

So why did the Muslims lag behind, ie are in the state today they are in????

if they were so advanced (which i am not doubting) then what was it that caused the decline?????????

these questions have to be answered correctly for us to really attempt to progress/revive!!

Comment

Working...
                          X