Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

India and Pakistan

Dear Pakistani brothers,
    I am an indian,i have nothing against pakistanis or muslims.Indians and Pakis are very similar,we have the same problems too!
    Religious extremism is a sad reality in both the countries,both countries are afflicted with corruption in high places,and to top it all,many of the promising students leave their country for the west,thus aiding in widening the gap between the west and the east.
    The only way india and pakistan can improve is to have friendly relations and help each other,instead of relying on US or Russia for "help".
    khuda hafiz
    queer
    Simple ain't easy.

Welcome to the post group queer. I agree with you in many respects.

By the way, if you don't mind me asking, why is your name queer (not that there is anything wrong with it). Queer in North America, generally refers to homosexuals. Its a term they attribute to themselves. In fact, next week is national Queer Week in Canada.

Comment

hey queer
      thats would be really nice. wish that would really happen. the public of both the countries i think would get along fine with each other if they were together but coz of the corrupt govts there are fights. in canada i hav alot of indian friends and its fun. ne ways hope what u said does come true

Comment

queer!
        Welcome. I am very happy to hear your sentiments. What ever you wrote is not only applies to India and Pakistan, but to all the under developed countries which are given the name of Third world. The people of this 3rd world will have to realize that the West never wants us to be developed. It just wants us to continue to be market for their products. We have to understand their policies. Theie messege to us are.
        *Never be sellers always be buyers.
        *If you need technology, don't develop it, we will provide it to you.
        *If you are hungry, dont worry and dont even try to think why are you hungry, just beg us and we will provide you the food.
        *Dont spend money on eduacation, and other developments of your country but rather what ever you have, pay us as debt,
        * ONLY we have the right to be called super power, atomic power and BIG 8.These titles are only suite to us.
        because
        " you are our slaves and slaves never have their own choice."
        In this subcontinent, if both country wants, we can creat big coalition. A coalition against the West, a coalition against the oppressor.

Most important things which we have to do as an Indian and as Pakistani is to accept in our each others existance.Until unless both of us do not accept that Pakistan and India both are realities, we can not go together.What ever happened in the Past for get them and establish a new friendship against our common enemies.

Comment

Well said UICDOC

Comment

I feel a secular, liberal, democratic policy should get a firm root in both countries. The hope that BJP will move towards moderation after coming to power has unfortunately proved untrue. Anyway, BJP days are numbered. In Pakistan, there is no party who would even dare to talk secularism. Sharief appreciates Taliban for the ideal society they have created and wants to imulate them. This is not talking of internal affairs of the countries. They have profound implications on external affairs.

Theocratic, xenophobic alternatives ('this is jewish conspiracy, hindu conspiracy, muslim conspuiracy or whatever') are not doing any justice to countries and massesthey claim to represent. Tell me one advantage Hindus got in Babri demolition. As Comrade Dange used to say that I am against Hindu fundamentalisam not because I care for minorities, it is because I care for Hindus. The communal parties are detrimental to the communities they represent. While left movement in India is reduced to two states, left movement in Pakistan is dead during Zia regime.

Furthermore nationalism is defined in highly negative terms. Stopping cricket with Pakistan is height of nationalism. It is not how much you love your country, but how much you hate the other. Even in trade, restrictions are stupid. Finally facts of life that they are close and trade is profiable take over the policy. So there is smuggling or trade gets re-routed via Arab countries. Both countries lose revenue in process.

So it is not that West is luring us to turn to them. Entire foreign policy of Pakistan is India-centric. The one of India is status-centric. India wants to be considered at least a regional super power but does not have financial muscle to further the claim.The truth is that our governments will rather cooperate with Escimos than with neighbors. Whatever we feel, I am afraid there is not going to be any change for a long time to come.

[This message has been edited by PG (edited February 06, 1999).]

Comment

Please continue this line of discussion in the appropriate section.
              Thank you.

Comment

Working...
              X