Are Pakistani's Racist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Pakistani's Racist?

I've noticed that Pakistani's are infatuated with lighter skin. Actually this is a global phenomenon, but in particular because of my close contacts with Pakistani's I've noticed it even more so. Pakistanis like to say that they are "fair skinned" and frown upon "darker" segments of their society. What exactly is it that created this? Is it historical or cultural, or a remnant of the Hindu system? Or are Pakistani's just racist?

The other thing I've noticed is that Pakistanis, wherever they are from, like to dissasociate themselves from their place of birth, Sindhis will say they are descendants of Arabs, Punjabis will claim ancestory in Afghanistan, etc. Do they suffer from an inferiority complex?

I think that we, i.e., our culture is racist. This is basically due to the remnants of the Hindu culture that we draw our culture from. I also think that the majority of our populace also suffers from an inferiority complex which could be attributed to the 75% illetracy rate in pakistan that has caused this of lack of self worth.

Later on
    Zman

Comment

Why blame Hindus? They don't claim their ancestry to Arabs or Turks. They don't have much admiration for Arabs and Turks either. There is some admiration for Pursian culture/poetry in India though.

I think this has to do with Mughal/British rule which were fairer than the rest of the natives. British rulers were anyway racist and slowly the winner's values become a part of local population. The pakistan today was even more subject to such rule. South/west part of India was not a part of Mughal rule or was so for very short period. Entire India (Pak,BD included) was a part of British empire though.

Even after independence, none of these countries have done anything to improve their self worth (except exploding nuclear weapons or some such things) and most of the population are without any developement whatsoever despite working very hard. Now what has an Italian who works four hours a day and spends rest of time in pubs and on beach has done to live so luxuriously compared to a farm worker in punjab. well. the natives may think, the whites are smarter people and so they can earn without working.

Comment

Dear PG,

I live in Italy and would like to know where you got the information that Italians work 4 hours a day and spend the rest of their time in pubs???? Guilty of stereotyping?

Achtung:
        Yes, I think that Pakistanis are racist. Despite the heredity of Islam. I was even told I should never name my son Bilal because he was "a black man". One of my sons is marginally darker than the other and poor kid, the comments he gets when we go to Pakistan: "Iss ka rang thora sa kum hai". They don't see what a sweet, smart kid he is, (and I happen to think he will be very handsome when he's grown, but I know that is a mother's prejudice) just a comment about his skin colour - which by the way isn't even very dark, it's just the contrast with his brother! go figure....

[This message has been edited by Shirin (edited January 21, 1999).]

Comment

I was in Italy for a few years. I do not think they are very hard working people. I certainly think that the farm workers in the subcontinent work very hard and are unable to make both ends meet.

Comment

The simple answer is Yes we are. But we are not the only ones guilt of being racist (not that it makes it right). Why do you think the country is so fragmented - the sindhis hate the punjabis who hate the ..... . And then because of their colour the Makranis are looked down upon. It doesn't just happen in Pakistan - the community carries it with them whereever they go.
            With all due respect to PG - the remarks he has made just above are in themselves racist.

Generally, the Pakistani racism is targetted at other parts of the Pakistani community itself (sadly, I would count my self as part of this). It seems to be an inbuilt thing if you are born as a Pakistan.

Comment

True Azhar - and you can add to that the caste system Pakistanis have inherited from...wherever.

Comment

Yes we are!

Meray Roz O Shab k Nisaab Main Meray Paas Apna To Kuch Nahi

Comment

I think the whole world is racist, and no matter how much you say your light skin from outside, but your heart is still browner.
                  I think becuase of these stupid indians and sikhs we are now given a bad reputation as PAKIS, and people all around da world call us pakis and stupid indians.. but we aint stupid indians, they think we all belong to same country and we come from same familys.
                  I think soemone out there must change this thing and help world see the real pakistan, and then the world will know who are stupid indians and who are pakis.

Comment

Racist...no more or less than any other ethnicity/culture.

Favor ligher complexion...no more or less than any other ethinicity/culture.

Discussing a person's skin color/race isn't as taboo in eastern culture as western hence people might get the impression that Pakistanis are more racist.

Like everything else Pakistan is a about a hundred years behind when in comes to attitudes towards different cultures/people.

Comment

Well FurQan, you mean these stpid westerners do not know that stupid Indians are completely different creatures than stu... sorry intelligent Pakistanis? Shame on them! Despite making 11 nuclear blasts they do not yet know that these are two different countries. Maybe a few more tests are needed (I mean nuclear, not cricket tests). Or if it is all due to skin color, maybe Pakistanis should start painting themselves green. But then there could be a problem since some people might paint themselves light green and be called fairer people.

[This message has been edited by PG (edited January 21, 1999).]

Comment

I agree with Shirin and PG.

We are racist.

I think the lighter skin fascination has to do with the conquerors and the rulers being lighter. You know the Aryans came. then the Turks and then the British. They all have been lighter and they controlled the Indian subcontinent.

I do think this changing. AT least in India. Havent you noticed that the Indian actresses are not all gori and light eyed. There is move towards very pretty but darker actresses. In the US more exotic and darker models/actresses have become popular to.

Maybe the switch from thinking light is beautiful will help change societial preference.

Shirin

My younger brother is much darker then the rest of us. Actually my dadajee complains he is the darkest one in the family. However, all my girlfriends both dessi and gori (and me to) think hes going to be (well at 17 he is) the cutest guy. Hes got the most gorgeous dark eyes with long lashes.

Italy?
                        That's really neat. Is there a large Muslim/Pakistani community there?

Comment

PAKIS ARE RASCIST BECAUSE THEY THINK EVERY PAKI IS A MUSLIM.
                          PAKISTAN IS FULL OF HINDUS, CHRISTIANS, SIKHS, AND AHMEDIES.
                          AN AHMEDI WINS THE NOBEL PRIZE FOR YOU AND YOU CHASE HIM OUT OF YOUR COUNTRY TO ITALY!
                          THAT WOULD HAVE NEVER HAPPENED IN INDIA. INDIANS ARE MORE TOLERANT PEOPLE THAN PAKIS.
                          A SHIA MAKES UR COUNTRY AND YOU KILL SHIAS.
                          U GUYZ ARE ASSHOLES
                          SHIAS ARE KICKING HINDU'S ASS IN INDIA AND THE SUNNIS ARE RUNNING FROM AWAY LIKE COWARDS FROM HINDUS. SALMAN AND SHAHRUKH KHAN ARE BOTH SHIAS AND HINDU GIRLS LOVE THEM TO DEATH. UR LUCKY THAT JINNAH DIDN'T CARE FOR ONLY SHIAS, HE CARED FOR ALL MUSLIMS. IF HE CARED FOR ONLY SHIAS THEY WOULD BE NO PAKISTAN. BUT HE WAS A CARING MAN. HE CARED FOR ALL MUSLIMS, NOT JUST SHIAS, ALL MUSLIMS.
                          HINDUS DONT PERSECUTE SHIAS ONLY SUNNIS ARE PERSECUTED. HINDUS BELIEVE THAT THEIR ANCESTORES FOUGHT WITH HUSSAIN AT KARBALA.

Comment

Reply to IndianBaba:

PAKIS ARE RASCIST BECAUSE THEY THINK EVERY PAKI IS A MUSLIM.

This statement in itself is racist. The term "Paki" is derogatory and insulting. Besides its a generalization like everything else in your little commentary.

INDIANS ARE MORE TOLERANT PEOPLE THAN PAKIS.

Have you heard of the BJP or the RSS. They kill Muslims and other minorities (Christians, Sikhs) and enjoy it. The present Indian government is the most fanatically intolerant government the country has ever had. Kashmir is another case in point. If you want some information about Hindu communities living in Pakistan go to: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/7295/
                            Its a site run and maintained by Hindus living in Pakistan.

A SHIA MAKES UR COUNTRY AND YOU KILL SHIAS.
                            U GUYZ ARE ASSHOLES.

Another generalization just demonstrating your utter ignorance. The people who post here are not killing Shias and neither are Pakistanis in general. This is just another Indian fairy tale you picked up somewhere. Its a myth and untrue. Most Pakistanis couldn't care less which sect of Islam you belonged to. Personally my mother comes from a Shia family and my father from a Sunni family. I've never noticed any tension or ill feelings. The only thing your demonstrating in this post is your own ignorance IndianBaba, not to mention your ultra-nationalist Indian upbringing.

SHIAS ARE KICKING HINDU'S ASS IN INDIA AND THE SUNNIS ARE RUNNING FROM AWAY LIKE COWARDS FROM HINDUS. SALMAN AND SHAHRUKH KHAN ARE BOTH SHIAS AND HINDU GIRLS LOVE THEM TO DEATH.

I have to admit this made me laugh. Are you prepared to get into a intellectual argument about tolerance and human rights abuses in the Indian Subcontinent? Because I think the use of fictitious facts picked up from Bollywood gossip won't hold much water. You have to put down your StarDust magazine and pick up a real book. You do amuse me though. Pakistani's could care less about the Khans of Bollywood.

UR LUCKY THAT JINNAH DIDN'T CARE FOR ONLY SHIAS, HE CARED FOR ALL MUSLIMS. IF HE CARED FOR ONLY SHIAS THEY WOULD BE NO PAKISTAN. BUT HE WAS A CARING MAN. HE CARED FOR ALL MUSLIMS, NOT JUST SHIAS, ALL MUSLIMS.

Oh whats this? Your starting to make just a little bit of sense, but your not quite there yet. Jinnah cared for people in general and he fought most of his life defending the rights of marginalized communities regardless of their race or religion. Your feeble attempt at dividing our community (as so many Indians attempt to do), by pointing out differences in religious sects of our society and our leaders, has been noted. Nice try, but you'll have to do better than this next time. Pakistanis are united in one aspect of life and always will be --> They dislike India, that just might be enough to hold the country together.

HINDUS DONT PERSECUTE SHIAS ONLY SUNNIS ARE PERSECUTED.

Oh I'm sorry, I thought I read earlier in your post that Indians are more tolerant than Pakistanis. I guess the fact that you've pointed out here, that they persecute only Sunnis makes them true believers in human rights. This is contradictory (although its true, Hindus do persecute Sunnis), get your facts straight pal.

HINDUS BELIEVE THAT THEIR ANCESTORES FOUGHT WITH HUSSAIN AT KARBALA.

How ridiculous does this sound? Do you realize even? There isn't an iota of evidence to support this statement, it is nothing more than a lie. Hussain was not aided by any Hindus in Karbala. This is such an insult, its disgusting. You make me wanna puke.

PS: Lose the caps please. I realize your probably upset for some reason (maybe you got teased as a child by a group of Pakistanis), but when you post here it would be nice if you had the common decency to respect others. Your name calling and slander only points out your own weaknesses and your inability to argue through a point without resorting to childish statements, which are laughable at best.

Comment

racism

racism (rszem) noun
                              1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
                              2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.
                              - racist adjective & noun

>"The term "Paki" is derogatory and insulting"

i thought the same, and i started a thread about this point and ALL the pakis on this forum stated that the term paki was niether derogatory nor insulting. if we can call ourselves pakis, why cant an indian do so?

>"Its a myth and untrue. Most Pakistanis couldn't care less which sect of Islam you belonged to."

i addressed this topic in one of my threads posted almost a month ago, where i presented the investigative reports from the court tribunals, wich clearly spoke against the statment i quoted above.

sorry for the interruption, keep the discussion on, i am curious as to what reaction indianbaba shows to the last line which was "derogatory and insulting", pretty much like the term "paki".

Comment

Working...
                              X